Thread: Well I just hurt myself.....

Default Well I just hurt myself.....

I was doing heavy bench presses with 285 X5 and I think I may have tore something in my left elbow. Hurts like a mother.... I've got ice on it and I'm headed to the Dr tomorrow. It may be tendinitis caused by over training but I don't have much experience with tendinitis. Does anyone have this condition in the elbow or another joint who can tell me if it sounds like this description?
    I'm was having a dull pain in the joint while lifting and I thought it was nothing. I continued to lift and the pain got worse in the top part of the elbow where the bicep meets the top forearm muscle or the Lateral epicondyle region of the arm. This pain started to get worse and then started to feel like it was throbbing worse and worse until I had to stop. I've had no loss of motion or flexibility issues so I think it may be a small strain or tendinitis. Anyone ever had anything like this? I really am going to hate it if I can't train, but oh well such is life.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

I'm not going to guess what the problem is but just make certain you keep ice on it and keep the swelling in check. Seeing the doc is the best advice I can offer.

This right here is why I don't work out, folks. I'm quite happy to do my 20 minute work out in an hour. No pain, no strain is my motto.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sorry about the owie. There are a couple of docs and emt types that may be able to offer some advice.

Is this what Hope was talking about with whispers (dull pain) and shouts (throbbing worse and worse)?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks guys, I'm really just mad at myself at this point. I know better than to keep going and I did it anyway. grrr.....
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

I've had what they call tennis elbow,and it hurts similar to what you are saying,result from driving a stand up fork truck where I worked at the time,it would get numb from the elbow down at times,then other times hurt like crazy,went to an orthopod and he gave me cortizone shots (3) and then 4 weeks of PT,no problems since then.

Good luck,and hope you heal quickly.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Thanks Nell,
    I got a beer and sat down on the couch, and my dog came and sat beside me. He could tell I was bummed and started licking my face and put his head in my lab. I must say its amazing how a little dog spit and a beer can cheer you right up.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by ADEPT View Post
    Thanks Nell,
    I got a beer and sat down on the couch, and my dog came and sat beside me. He could tell I was bummed and started licking my face and put his head in my lab. I must say its amazing how a little dog spit and a beer can cheer you right up.
    Ah yes,things that make the world go round,eh?
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

haha, yep. My dr. is going to a fish fry my Dad and I throw two Tues. a month during the winter starting tomorrow. I'm gonna ask him about it once he gets good and liquored up. I'll probably get decent advice and it won't cost me, he'll never remember it the next day.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Go Get It Checked. MRIs Can See Taring That May Not Hurt More Than A Bruise But Can Rip More Later When You Bench And That Injury Will Be 10x Worse.

When you have an idea of what wrong get a sports physio to ease you back to action without further damaging the part or others in the future recovery. Be patient healing takes some time.

Quote Originally Posted by AVENGED View Post
    Go Get It Checked. MRIs Can See Taring That May Not Hurt More Than A Bruise But Can Rip More Later When You Bench And That Injury Will Be 10x Worse.
    holy shift key batman. just kiddin

thanks for the advice. yeah I'll follow whatever advice the dr. gives. I may have to remind him, but such is the fun with a local dr. that is legendary for drinking in pub-lic.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries

That sucks.

Physical therapppppppppppppppppppppppppp.

I'm going two times a week for shoulders and neck. Getting older sucks when you think you're still 23.

Good Luck.

As a former weight lifter, I think you have a minor tear in the ligament, aka tendonitis. Yes, you overdid it. Yes, you will have to take 2-3 weeks off and not work that elbow. You can do lower body still though, and cardio. Just don't work that elbow. You need to let it heal.

Quote Originally Posted by ADEPT View Post
    I was doing heavy bench presses with 285 X5
    and you hurt yourself? Imagine. Man, just thinking about doing that hurts.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Physical therapy every day, 5 days a week, this is for six weeks and then an assessment to see what the limitations are. This is my life right now. MRI's sometimes do miss things. It is a real good idea to get it checked out and not take any chances you don't have to.....

i've been lucky with my joints so far but here is the question what did you warm up with? i will do a warm up of 200 lbs by 20 reps then do my pyramid starting at 350 but my pyramid is inverted that is my heavy times 5 then down 50 lbs by 10 and so on then do a pulling routine, remember if you use push muscles you must also use pull muscles what i call my push/pull routine
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Well? Did you go to the doctor today?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hey guys,
    I got really busy at work so I couldn't get on here and tell you the good news. It's a small strain and nothing more. The dr. said that I had no loss of motion and I have no pain except when I lift so its basically just an overuse injury. I can't do upper body for one week but I can still squat, and I've got to wear a wrap when I start back. I've been hitting the weights hard for the last 2 months and it finally caught up to me. Lesson learned, I'm not invincible oh well. Next time I'll be sure to take a week off every two months or so.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i've been lucky with my joints so far but here is the question what did you warm up with? i will do a warm up of 200 lbs by 20 reps then do my pyramid starting at 350 but my pyramid is inverted that is my heavy times 5 then down 50 lbs by 10 and so on then do a pulling routine, remember if you use push muscles you must also use pull muscles what i call my push/pull routine
    I start with a general warm up doing sprints for 5 mins. Next I do 2 sets of warm ups at about 40-50 % 1rep max for each exercise I'm doing before my work sets which are about 75-85% of 1RM. I'm doing a 3X5 strength program right now.

-Robert A. Heinlein