Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diahrea................

Blog Entries

Default Diahrea................

Read today, that you can peel off some oak bark, pulverize some of it, leave some big chunks, add water and boil for 15 minutes.

Drink like tea and it will take away your diahrea and also is good for mouth sores.

May need to try this, well, I really don't want to have to..............

FVR i was just reading my copy of Camp and Trail Methods and Kreps advised mixing flour and cinnamon with water and occasionally taking a dose of astringent. I guess the cinnamon is in case you have and accident it helps disguise the smell.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

There are a number of plants that help with diarrhea.

Stinging Nettle is a great one. Boil the leaves in water to remove the sting. Drink small doses of the "tea" to alleviate the problem. An added benefit is the boiled leaves are vitamin rich and edible.

Bracken Fern can also be made into a tea using the roots. Good for stomach cramps, too.

Wild Strawberry tea from the leaves as well as Cattail tea from the crushed roots.

American Mountain Ash tea from the inner bark and American Elm tea from the whole bark.

I hadn't heard about Oak before.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

blackberry root bark tea is good too for it.

The effects of diarrhea can be deadly (dehydration). That's why I always have some imodium in my kits.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

ok frank first off ask rick if he has tried any of those when he had the trots.
    problem is with all these remedies is that back in the day when people was writing these books is that they are human and it seems were trying to out do one another seems like a rose hip could cure anything back then i am always very skeptical about these remedies i would talk to an herbalist first
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I have a buddy who ate some raw ginsing and it gave him the squirts . We have a few herbalist around here but their stuff comes in dime bags LOL

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

sooooooooo - it may not cure the squirts, but you won't really care.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HOP View Post
    I have a buddy who ate some raw ginsing and it gave him the squirts . We have a few herbalist around here but their stuff comes in dime bags LOL
    never had that problem with ginseng!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Nell he ate it right after he dug it up .

The most important thing about stopping diarrhea is trying to identify what is causing you to have it, then you can find a remedy that will most effectively stop it. Taking all the remedies in the world won't help if you are continuing to drink contaminated water, or are intolerant of inulin ;the starch found in jerusalem artichoke tubers, and continue to eat them anyway. Stop the cause, stop the diarrhea.
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

Quote Originally Posted by HOP View Post
    Nell he ate it right after he dug it up .
    I have done that as well,he could have gotten a bacteria from the soil,or just not tolerate unprocessed ginseng well,I usually chew on the first piece I dig when hunting,unless it is a fairly large piece,and have been digging it since I was 5.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by tacmedic View Post
    The most important thing about stopping diarrhea is trying to identify what is causing you to have it, then you can find a remedy that will most effectively stop it. Taking all the remedies in the world won't help if you are continuing to drink contaminated water, or are intolerant of inulin ;the starch found in jerusalem artichoke tubers, and continue to eat them anyway. Stop the cause, stop the diarrhea.
    I agree the body is trying to expell some thing ( maybe harmful) and if you take something to slow down your intestinal tract it will just stay with you longer.

WE - Sir, you challenge my veracity? I'm, well, heartbroken. Thoroughly depressed that you would insinuate, nay, accuse me of google mongering information. As it turns out, if you really must know my inner most secrets, I have used Stinging Nettle on one occasion that was less than enjoyable. A summer time bout of hot weather, too much water and not enough food. The age old summer time sh**s. There! Now the world knows about my "problem". Are you happy?

As for the rest I posted, I'll have you know I did NOT google them. They came out of my Medicinal Plants Pocket Guide. Okay, okay, Google, Pocket Guide. Tomato. Tomahto. You win.

I'm with you, Crash. Immodium is in my pack, too.
    Last edited by Rick; 11-16-2008 at 03:10 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i was not throwing down the guantlet dear sir just casually inquring inf you had used those methods which i had deduced you has not because most would have said that such and such works well for me. i am just trying to keep it real here twink books say allot of things but so does bear if we are to share things here there is liable to be some city folk parafish comes to mind that i do not want running out and trying things w/o someone saying yes this has worked for me not just doing what a book has said cuz ifn i could do that then why need a professor at a college why not just read the book and get my diploma?

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i was not throwing down the guantlet dear sir just casually inquring inf you had used those methods which i had deduced you has not because most would have said that such and such works well for me. i am just trying to keep it real here twink books say allot of things but so does bear if we are to share things here there is liable to be some city folk parafish comes to mind that i do not want running out and trying things w/o someone saying yes this has worked for me not just doing what a book has said cuz ifn i could do that then why need a professor at a college why not just read the book and get my diploma?
    Good point, I was just going to ask what sort of herbal remedies that people post they have actually tried themselves. I think there's a lot of book knowledge floating around and normally what you do when you get sick is not go out an scrape off some bark here and there to test if that actually works, you pop a pill instead. At least that used to be what I did. I only started experimenting with herbal remedies out here. We try to nip every little sign of physical un-wellbeing (mental is another issue ) in the bud, and the meds we have on hand are very limited.
    So I found a lot of stuff that grows around here works really well. What I did for cross-referencing remedies is, I always check in all of my herb books (a whopping 5 of them, I think). The stuff that shows up in every one as a remedy against something is what I test first and then go from there. i also use stuff on the dogs, but you have to be careful because of course other animals have different body chemistry. For example, never give willow bark (or aspirin) to a cat. But it's safe for dogs (the bark is).
    I'd really encourage people to try stuff, after researching what works and what the side effects are and how it couteracts other meds you might be taking. Also be aware that you can be allergic to herbs, also your pets.

Anyway, for anyone with back pain, here's an awesome tea recipe that works great for us (if you don't have lousewort, see if there's another musco-skeletal relaxing herb in you area, otherwise, just omit):
    1 tsp willow bark
    1 tsp highbush cranberry bark
    1/2 tsp yarrow
    1 1/2 tsp wooly lousewort or try another plant of the Pedicularis species
    Steep in a large coffe mug for about 10-15 minutes. Relaxes muscles, relieves pain and revvs up your circulation. Bit like coming out of a hot bath or sauna.
    Actions speak louder than words

see thats what i am talking about actual experience this is how we all get better physically and skills set

I am NOT going to stand out in the cold just to get the runs so I can test Cattail root. Nope, ain't gonna happen. Sorry.

Home medical remedies be danged and someone use some bush craft skills and cut a plug for this thread.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Diarrhea is HEREDITARY, yep it sure is. You can get all your causes and cures and forget them. It is a proven fact: DIARRHEA IS HEREDITARY, CAUSE IT COMES THRU YOUR JEANS and that's a fact, with my hand in the air.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.