View Poll Results: Do you prefer a pack with an external frame or an internal frame?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • External Frame Pack

33 53.23%
  • Internal Frame Pack

29 46.77%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Internal or external frame pack?

Default Internal or external frame pack?

A follow up to the backpack thread, I'm curious which type most of you guys prefer, and why.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Banned
    Blog Entries

I use internal frame packs to haul laundry to the laundry mat, internal frame packs are good for luggage when traveling by airline, bus, train, canoe.

On the the trail or bushwhacking I only use external frame packs.

I voted for internal because that's what I use now. In the past, all of my packs were external frame and I never had a problem with them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Internal, its all ive ever used. Finally found one that fits perfect.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Blog Entries

I use both. On a daily basis I use an internal frame Dakine Poacher. When hunting or think I may need to carry heavy loads I use an external frame.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I like the external pack . I can take the pack off and tie other things to it if need be like packing meat out of the woods or fire wood
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

external. They feel like the distribute the weight better to me, but it's all just personal preference.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

I prefer internal, had an external and it didn't make it. Guess I was to hard on the dang thing.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

I can't recall the source but an article on packs said that internal were better for of trail (little lower and closer to your back for better balance ) and external was good for heaver loads and established type trails.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

I like external. You don't have to pack quite as precisely with an external frame and you have the added benefit of some air circulation between the pack and your back.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I like external, I modify the frame with extra lash points, and shelf position to suit the load that I carry specially when hunting or long canoe treks where hard edged items are carried.

external's are great for packing in alot of gear i find, but when im doing a day hunt its always my internal cheapo from walmart that tags along. wich is going on season 3 and doing just fine actually.
    -cory
    "Go ye to the wilds, to its waters and woods. For it is good to live thus" -Stanley S. Hawbaker

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked....

Quote Originally Posted by HOP View Post
    I can't recall the source but an article on packs said that internal were better for of trail (little lower and closer to your back for better balance ) and external was good for heaver loads and established type trails.
    Both; The external frame is good for established trails while the internal frame is good for climbing. However, when push comes to shove it' all boils down to what I can fit into my car
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I have both and love both. I had the external first and all my friends insisted I get an internal. Now I just grab whichever one has the most equipment already packed for whatever I'm doing.

No frame!

I was raised carrying Duluth packs with a tump, and still prefer them to anything else.

http://duluthpack.com/products.aspx?...=Canoe%20Packs
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

I use an Alice pack, I use it for short outings, But for the long haul I think the frame is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Runs With Beer View Post
    I use an Alice pack, I use it for short outings, But for the long haul I think the frame is the way to go.
    Doesn't an ALICE pack have a frame?

I find myself revisiting this issue, as the other week I had the opportunity to do a lot of hiking. I took my internal frame pack, which had not really seen all that much action prior to then. It was NOT COMFORTABLE... but upon reflecting on the matter, I think I was wearing the waist belt too low. I had it closer to belt-level, when I think it probably should have gone higher up, sinched into the small of my back. With it low, the shoulder straps pulled down on my shoulders, and put a lot of pressure on my shoulders and neck. I am aware that, with both types of frame packs, the idea is that the shoulder straps simply keep the pack upright, the weight is supposed to rest on the waist strap.

On my next outing, I now plan to try an old external frame ALICE pack I got. We'll see which one works better for me. I think I've heard some folks complain that the ALICE is overly-heavy for an external frame pack, and doesn't carry as much as some other packs. Anyone have any thoughts or comments on that?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

The medium pack may or may not. It's optional. The straps can be connected directly to the pack. On the large ALICE you have to use the frame.

I've used the large ALICE with OEM straps and with upgraded straps and upgraded is the better way to go. I don't know about the pack being heavy. I do know it will carry a dang site more than I can. You can adjust the ALICE to ride on your hips. That will get you away from the shoulder pull problem. Ideally, the shoulder straps shouldn't have to carry that much weight. By adjusting down on your hips you place the weight across much larger muscles and lower the center of gravity nearly half.

As I said above, you'll like the frame because you get air circulation between your back and pack, which is really nice. The ALICE is a lot more forgiving, too, in how you pack it. Internal frames can be fussy about how you pack them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I use a Large A.L.I.C.E. Pack or what we call a Ruck Sak Large, with a wet weather bag and a Maxpedition Jumbo Versi Pak (actually carry my Versipak everywhere, it has a concealed carry holster in it) and thats about it.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I think my external, a medium ALICE, is more comfortable to carry and adjust while moving. Might just be due to preference based on long use; since about 1970.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin