Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you help me bring an old hatchet back to life

I've been following this thread, contributing nothing, just waited for everyone to come around and agree with Dad. After all, he should know how old stuff likes to be treated.

Sounds like a nice piece of equipment to own anyway, ADEPT. One of the things that always broke my heart was the number of antique tools that disappeared when my first Dad passed away. He had carpentry tools that belonged to his Grandfather and still used them. A few of his "friends" managed to help themselves to some really cool stuff that should have been inherited by me and my brothers.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

That hatchet didn't have a "mammy made" hand carved handle on it when it was new. Why put one on it now. Any good hardware store will have hatchet handles. That style of hatchet would have had a straight handle on it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by klkak; 11-19-2008 at 05:23 PM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Thumbs up good find

+1 on ol' coot's solution. I think it would not have had a mirror finish originally, so keep it as is. Just put an edge and a period handle on it. Nice find mate, what a classic! <thumbs up>.
    "Egotism is the anaesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity" - Some Guy

Live simple-Live free

Default rust remover

I use a product called navel jelly. it will remove all the rust and leave you with clean metal which you can coat with oil and preserve it. Good on toast too...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I use a product called navel jelly. it will remove all the rust and leave you with clean metal which you can coat with oil and preserve it. Good on toast too...
    Good on toast? I hope one of our less mature members doesn't try it on their toast!
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Warning to our younger members - or older ones that may not know..... Naval jelly is a mild acid (organophosphoric acid) and should not be put on toast. Naval lint on the other hand.......
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I Agree With Old Soldier. And With The Heat It'll Kina Leave You A Blank Canvas. You Can Either Polish It Up, Or There Even Tricks To Get It To Gain Some Surface Rust And Look Aged.
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I use Navel jell on old rusted truck frames after i've knocked off all the loose rust and before sand blasting,but before painting it's supposed to keep it from rusting anymore also. I think there is still a case of the peptoe bismoe looking stuf in the shop,

an interesting site that i ran across while looking up some info on an old hatchet that i have..
    http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yest...s,%20etc..html

Quote Originally Posted by old soldier View Post
    an interesting site that i ran across while looking up some info on an old hatchet that i have..
    http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yest...s,%20etc..html
    hey thanks, great link, very interesting stuff.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by AVENGED View Post
    I Agree With Old Soldier. And With The Heat It'll Kina Leave You A Blank Canvas. You Can Either Polish It Up, Or There Even Tricks To Get It To Gain Some Surface Rust And Look Aged.
    I'm going with Coot's idea and leaving it with a more rustic/aged look.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    I've been following this thread, contributing nothing, just waited for everyone to come around and agree with Dad. After all, he should know how old stuff likes to be treated.

Sounds like a nice piece of equipment to own anyway, ADEPT. One of the things that always broke my heart was the number of antique tools that disappeared when my first Dad passed away. He had carpentry tools that belonged to his Grandfather and still used them. A few of his "friends" managed to help themselves to some really cool stuff that should have been inherited by me and my brothers.
    sorry to here that, but may karma or the laws of treating people right catch up with those people. I'm in a situation sort of like that now, but that's a whole other story.

-Robert A. Heinlein

ADEPT - remember....it's not an aged look....it's an experienced look.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    That hatchet didn't have a "mammy made" hand carved handle on it when it was new. Why put one on it now. Any good hardware store will have hatchet handles. That style of hatchet would have had a straight handle on it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I'm having trouble finding one that I think does the head justice. Most just aren't sturdy enough for my liking. What type of wood do you think would be the most true to the period and hold up to heavy use? I'm not planning on using it but I want a tool that I could use and would hold up if I needed it.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    ADEPT - remember....it's not an aged look....it's an experienced look.
    haha true. all old folks jokes aside

-Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries

Don't like the new stuff look. I like the used look.

Had a choice once, three bp pistols. 2 were new, one was dirt old. Yeh, I picked the old one.

Old things have stories somewhere. Some think that they may have medicine, while others just don't like to look like a new greenhorn.

Every piece of my gear has a story, if it doesn't, I get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Every piece of my gear has a story, if it doesn't, I get rid of it.
    I always like your thinking Frank, any of my gear that didn't have a 'story' when I got it sure got one soon after.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"