Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Tools, Knives, Nets & More

Blog Entries

Cool Hello Halfling!

Quote Originally Posted by wild kid View Post
    Any tips at all?
    1st, your thread has been moved to the appropriate Forum & thread that you need to study. We have "Flint-knappers here who have posted a lot in this forum on what you ask. Study & you shall be rewarded! (So saying the Wise old Zen-Survival Master wraps himself in his robes, steps back, there's a large puff of smoke, then he re-appears, coughing.) "Hack! Hack!" Okay, who's smoking?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    1st, your thread has been moved to the appropriate Forum
    Sarge why did my sticky of "Making things (Making Tools, Knives, Nets & More, with a sub-section of Making Your Own Outdoor Gear"), get moved to the " Survival Food: Foraging, Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping" Forum??? It does belong in the "Making Stuff" Forum, where it has been.
    Thanks
    Gray Wolf
    Last edited by Gray Wolf; 01-02-2009 at 01:28 AM.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Blog Entries

Red face Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    Sarge why did my sticky of "Making things (Making Tools, Knives, Nets & More, with a sub-section of Making Your Own Outdoor Gear"), get moved to the " Survival Food: Foraging, Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping" Forum??? It does belong in the "Making Stuff" Forum, where it has been.
    Thanks
    Gray Wolf
    I switched it Gray Wolf, sorry for the delay.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Thank you oh great one...

Young Woodsmen

Any ansers to my question?

I used the SEARCH BUTTON (like Sarge hinted to you) Search: Key Word(s): knapping , and low and behold there are 2 pages of info, tips and pictures! The SEARCH BUTTON is at the top of each page, nestled between "New Posts" and "Quick Links".
    Last edited by Gray Wolf; 01-02-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Enjoyed checking out the "The Three-Stick Roycroft Pack Frame."

I've made a number of pack frames over the years using one of my grandfather's as a model. Not too hard to make and very comfortable:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Your back only comes in contact with the rawhide lace, so no sore spots, and in hot weather you don't end up with your back soaked with sweat.
    Last edited by RBB; 01-02-2009 at 05:43 PM.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

I made the three stick pack frame it worked every nice I also made a canvas pack for it. I did awalk in camp at the end of oct. last year .I rolled all my gear in my diamond fly and strapped it to the frame leaving the pack empty when I got to camp I unstrapped the diamond fly unrolled it and every thing is at hand when camp was set up the pack was empty and ready for a trek in to the woods no digging in the pack to find something
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

RBB, that's a fine looking pack frame.

I added 2 TARP-TENT Project Projects (Post #1)

Very nice sticky w/lots of good info. I look forward to making some of these things.

*Thanks Grey Wolf.

well i know i'm slow about getting things done, but i'm working on a couple of things right now for pictorials, though not all on this list.

firstly, i'm making a pretty simple fletching jig.

next, and the reason for the fletching jig, i'm making a matched set of hardwood sucker arrow shafts. these include pitch and sinew mounted obsidian points, self knocks and turkey wing feather fletchings.

if i can get ahold of the canvas; i'm doing a sort of hybrid sweat house, using a canvas skin over tipi-frame lodge, and a cast iron pot belly sauna stove. i've been on the lookout for a suitable stove, and lo and behod, one was given to me the day before yesterday.

i'll be finishing a couple bows soon, so i'll show how i make my fishing line bow strings, including carribou fur silencers and coat-button thread serving.

for extended outdoors trips, i would like to demonstrate smudging, both body and clothing/bedding, with local plants. for example; we have an abundance of invasive eucalyptus around here witch i find is great at minimizing body odor. juniper and cedar are also great.

i wish the weather where on my side this winter, as i've not been getting in much mushroom hunting since i got my new camera.
    Last edited by canid; 01-20-2009 at 09:56 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    Enjoyed checking out the "The Three-Stick Roycroft Pack Frame."

I've made a number of pack frames over the years using one of my grandfather's as a model. Not too hard to make and very comfortable:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Your back only comes in contact with the rawhide lace, so no sore spots, and in hot weather you don't end up with your back soaked with sweat.
    Very nice work on the pack frame, How long did it take you to make that?

here is the simple fletching jig i've made, and the proccess of fletching arrows with it. the jig could even be made expediently in the feild, by using a neatly split wood.

at the top of the jig, where the twp pieces meet, the edges are beveled to 45 degrees, to allow clearance for the fletching feather's spine. all that is requires further is two lengths of cordage and some wedges of wood, bone, antler, or as in the images, whatever happens to be handy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

last picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great work Canid. Thanks for the pics.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Looks to me like you dont need a jig,LOL One arrow is left hand and one is right hand?

yep. the turkey feathers i buy come in pairs, invariably one left and one right.

if i buy 4 black and 2 olive, i end up with two arrows with different irrientations. as long as the spine is appropriate and they fly true, it dosen't bother me enough to match the set to all one wing.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    yep. the turkey feathers i buy come in pairs, invariably one left and one right.

if i buy 4 black and 2 olive, i end up with two arrows with different irrientations. as long as the spine is appropriate and they fly true, it dosen't bother me enough to match the set to all one wing.
    I agree about them flying true, A friend of mine is a turkey hunt guide down here, And brings me Several sets of wings a year and I use both left and right, And they work the same to me.

Presently in Oregon, but leaving soon for Latin America.

Hey Canid, once registered I can see the pics. Great work!