Thread: The perfect "ARCTIC CABIN" you help design

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default The perfect "ARCTIC CABIN" you help design

For kicks and giggles, you can help design a arctic cabin. Should also work in the sub-arctic also. Think of this like those survival learning drills we did a few weeks ago. I have built four remote Alaska cabins, and made mistakes in design of each one. So what are the things to consider.....?

1) How many people.

2) Foundation.

3) Size, to big hard to heat.

4) Location of heat source.

5) Location and size of door.

6) One room or more.

7) Loft....? or 7' ceiling to keep heat down.

8) Outside color? dark absorbs heat from sun....?

9) How thick walls...?

10) about 300 other things to consider.....

So start considering......? For example if possible I like small footprint, with two stories, but the ability to lock out heat from second story when it is -30 below. And maybe a sun room/greenhouse attached....?

What is you Idea. Not your dream 40' X 60' ranch style, but small and open.

Remember any and all dirt work will most likely be done by hand.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For up in the arctic...an igloo.
    For elsewhere northern...a frame cabin with 3' thick walls. That should keep heating costs/efforts down and give you very cozy window seats to sit in. The smaller, the cozier, the easier to heat, the cheaper, the less junk can accumulate. Octagonal with the stove in the middle to prevent cold corners. Lofts are for people in cottage country, but a closed off upper storey just tall enough in the middle to stand in would be cozy. Skylights...Anyone want to build one for me, come on up...
    Actions speak louder than words

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildWoman View Post
    For up in the arctic...an igloo.
    For elsewhere northern...a frame cabin with 3' thick walls. That should keep heating costs/efforts down and give you very cozy window seats to sit in. The smaller, the cozier, the easier to heat, the cheaper, the less junk can accumulate. Octagonal with the stove in the middle to prevent cold corners. Lofts are for people in cottage country, but a closed off upper storey just tall enough in the middle to stand in would be cozy. Skylights...Anyone want to build one for me, come on up...

I like the "Octagon" idea. Maybe 20' X 20' I am also warming to the idea of a detached wood fired furnace building/sauna, with a solar powered fan to pump heat to main building.

Go underground on 3-sides, on a south facing slope with that side glassed in to capture sunlight for heat/light.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRogers View Post
    Go underground on 3-sides, on a south facing slope with that side glassed in to capture sunlight for heat/light.
    Well, I like that. Might be a lot of tons of Portland Cement to back pack in and the sand and the lime, forms, and the 20' sticks of #6 rebar, and several years of mixing concrete in a box. And maybe water to be packed.

The new AWW (All Weather Woods) could work, maybe. Permafrost may or may not be an issue. Still a lot of hand digging, and if you hit a big rock. Well you just start over, dig, dig, dig.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 11-10-2008 at 09:40 PM.

I would go with a shipping container buried into a hillside. Coat with tar and rubber roofing. Backfill with rock and drain tile. Preferably have a long side with a southern exposure. Torch some windows and a door. Insulate with foam. Heat with wood.

Expansion as necessary with additional containers. Storage, garage, indoor garden, etc.

Connection between containers could be butted, stacked or with a tunnel using metal culvert.

remote?...have it air lifted or wait till winter.
    Last edited by rebel; 11-10-2008 at 10:46 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

We hauled two 20' shipping containers into Safari Lake, which is about 12 miles across swamps, and general wilderness, North of Trappers Creek, Alaska. We used a Nodwell to transport them. It took a full day for each Connex. We moved them in Early February, when the ground, swamps, creeks, and lakes were frozen. Safari Lake is just south of Denali National Park, and the property has a staggering view of Mt. McKinley which is right in the front yard.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All that underground stuff is more for moderate climates I would think. Don't want run-off to freeze around it and dent in your walls...
    Painting the walls dark shouldn't have any effect on warming the house in the winter if it's insulated proper. For octagonal, you could also use 2 or 3 sided logs, obviously. Be all nice and short sections. The roof would be no fun though (well not for me, for a better carpenter probably no problem). We always put lots of windows in, saves a bit on lighting and helps keeping an indoor garden going.
    Actions speak louder than words

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have two Connex's (20' Shipping Containers) that have steel doors on both ends. I hope to use one as an arctic entry.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

i like the " shipping container buried into a hillside " idea myself
    with the 3 major costs being

digging into the hillside ( contractor or DIY labour )
    container itself
    airlift

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    1) How many people. myself only

2) Foundation. bare earth and hope it's level

3) Size, to big hard to heat. divider/wall to make smaller room for heating purposes

4) Location of heat source. wood stove near one end

6) One room or more. some kind of divider/wall to make two sections

9) How thick walls...? find some way to make dead air pockets alongside the walls

10) about 300 other things to consider.....

not sure about how much dirt on top of container
    cut hole in top for plexiglass ?

i was thinking ( last year? ) about getting a truck cap into the bush and somehow making a little 3 season shelter
    raise it up on blocks, throw some earth against the sides and take it from there
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

since i've lived below the mason-dixon line my whole life, i wouldn't have the slightest idea what the requirements for artic dwelling would be. but i have for a few years been planing my dreamhouse as soon as i can aquire the right spot to put it on. as it stands now i'am thinking 30'x20' with full basement, we get tornados in these parts, 10'' thick walls and going with the 7' ceiling. it will have "city" power and water but will be set up to run without them if need be. the only thing i haven't decided on is whether to go with a metal roof or concrete tile. the prob is finding just the right place. i'am thinking 40 acres min. with mix of pasture and woods. the hardest thing to find is a place with a good water source that is within my means.

The perfect arctic cabin..........................

Would be in St. Croix !!!!!!
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------