Page 81 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 1860

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

Oh, I bought $500 bucks worth of Augusen Farms staples, like flour, onion flakes, cheese, baking powder, rice, beans, and more dehydrated milk, brocolli, tomatoe powder, awwwww heck, I can't even remember what all I bought but it was a bunch of stuff. I wanted long term storage ingredients so we can cook garden veggies and fruits. It makes sense to me that just dehydrated meals would get old in a hurry!

Good deal B. Have fun.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's outstanding, B. I expect all sorts of knowledge to be flowin' from Gotham in a few weeks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

And pictures.........or it never happened.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am really psyched! Hope I can do half as well as Intothenew's grand kids. Mr. B (who doesn't know we're doing this...surprise, honey!) is a highly decorated boy scout so it'll probably be like riding a bike for him. Me, if all else fails, I can probably use my short fuse to start a fire. Pictures will be taken no matter what.

So I am driving back to the job site after a burger lunch today and notice smoke, a LOT of thick black smoke, as the crow flies its about 13-15 miles away ( I know this after I heard where exactly it was on the radio) so I decide work can wait, time for a drill! I wanted to see how fast I could get back (while obeying traffic laws in general ) to my atorage area where I have an NBC US surplus gas mask with a bunch of other 'stuff'. Took me about 12 minutes on the road and 6 minutes in my storage locker to get to where I had the mask boxed up, under other boxes, behind an old pickup headache rack, next to a lawn mower... you get the picture. Too long once at the storage area, I am planning to do a remove, rethink and repack of that storage area in a couple weeks when I have most of a weekend free.

Also considering getting the wife and kid masks and possibly one for the vehicle kits. Also I need to get some functional screw on filters. The one I have was a gift from a US airman buddy of mine that had to retire it because it was expired, originally issued to him for the first desert conflict.

Crash, since you only seem to believe things you see, here is a pic.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/Pages/Phot...?id=6442726631

and I took several stills at arm's length, I thought I looked most fierce in this pic even though I am making a duckface under the mask.

101_4134.JPG
    Last edited by Jimmyq; 10-02-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: originally blamed Rick for not believing without pictures, mea culpa

Stopped by an office sale....got a FAK, 1/2 case TP, 200+ #2 pencils, 15 reams of paper, and if it's not leased....a portable defibrillator. Should find out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy da Mask
    a gift from a US airman buddy of mine that had to retire it because it was expired

Um, if it's expired then........how long can you hold your breath?

guy-holding-breath.jpg

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm shocked that you think I would "need" pictures. Want on the other hand......

Keep in mind that for a fire event, a gas mask may give you a false sense of security. While it may filter out some of the nasties in the atmosphere, it will not help you in an oxygen deprived environment.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Rick, its a mandatory retirement age, doesnt mean the unit is not good, he said he actually wore it two or three times in training exercises, inside the hospital he works at, if the filters are new then I dont see a huge problem. For the small chance that I may use it.

Crash, indeed, for this they were evacuating on a fear of toxic gasses in the smoke cloud, something I would likely be scampering away from I would be hoping the mask would give me enough edge to get clear rather than looking at entering the hot zone for any reason. Could be as simple as a car wreck on the freeway with a tanker or a train derail, a mask in the truck might be the edge I need to survive and escape close quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'm shocked that you think I would "need" pictures. Want on the other hand......

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    And pictures.........or it never happened.
    Also, I like the Darth Vader sound I made when I was breathing, my kid would love it. I might wear it with some camo and such for Halloween, last year I got all my ACU stuff on and a dad I bumped into looked at me for a minute or two then said ' you really get into this eh?" I said, yeah, for my kid. Sucker. lol
    IMAG1858.jpg

They are discontinuing the original Leatherman Multi-tool.....

So I got on ebay and found a few of them....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Been wanting to get one for the kids BOBs

I bloused between the 3rd and 4th eyelet. Lol
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

I found a used medium military Alice Pack for $10, and a new Cold Steel knife for 14$. I am putting a BOB together for the girls whether they want it or not!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Since I am already at where you guys with the Bug Ot Bags can only hope to get, I installed a new wood stove on the back porch.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cast-ir...ove-32058.html

Caught it on sale and had a 20% cupon so I escaped for only $130.

It is already set up and has the stink burned off of it. Ready for heavy duty marshmellow/hot dog roasting and coffee perking. It can also be pulled in the house and hooked to the flue for inside heat if necessary.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

purchased another hundred pounds of rice, and placed in air tight buckets.

So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

I bought more ammo, candles, matches and lighters. Have all but the go to place. Forest fire two years ago took out 90% of the forest where I live, dead trees still standing everywhere. Kinda afraid to start something in those areas as logging may begin and I don't want a log skidder falling into my underground shelter, so am still looking for the right spot. Would like to have a place hidden near my home so I can walk to it without much problem if need be. Have most of my stuff in an underground concrete bunker on my property, 10ft long, 6ft high inside, and 5 ft wide, all under 4 ft of dirt, but want something away from the house in the forest.
    Besides food, water and cooking utinsels, I have stoves, lanterns, both candle and propane, bed rolls, 1 two man tent, tarps, cordage, firearms and ammo, fishiing stuff, knives, axe and hatchet, files and whet stones, and can't remember the rest. Shovels and picks, bowsaw, tools, and two years worth of garden seeds.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I bought the last pack of twinkies on Earth.

Felt like Charlton Heston looking at the Statue of Liberty.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Recieved the Dec. "Spam can of the month" installment.......(and Brown brought it to the house)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

This week, I went to work. I worked my butt off in order to achieve an even higher level of job security! Does that count? How about tomorrow? I'm learning to smoke salmon. I know the premise, but have never actually done it.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!