Page 78 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 1860

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

The past few weeks I have accomplished alot in general preparedness.

1) Built a better reloading bench, although have not had the chance to try it out.
    2) Upgraded my EDC chain by adding a pocket sized knife sharpener, p-38 can opener, and a paracord lanyard.
    3) Learned how to make a paracord lanyard using a cobra braid. (Thanks to Parachordist!)
    4) Replaced the brakes on the car.
    5)Bought a Presto 16qt pressure canner.
    6) Canned 7 pints of green beans, 7 pints of carrots, 5 pints of dill pickle slices, and 4 qts of dill pickle spears. The new pressure canner works well!
    7) Assembled a basic power outage kit containing three flashlights with extra batteries, two packs of matched, a lighter and 32 candles rated for three hours each.

Lot's more to do, but a little at time doees it!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Ya dun good!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Still pretty new to the whole prepaing thing, but I have been pretty busy (thats to sites like this filled with good advice and knowledge).

Past 2 weeks I bought:
    Katadyn water purifier
    Water purification tablets
    N95 masks
    fire starter "kit"
    blood clot
    israeli bandages
    2xback packs
    tomahawk and machete
    Marlin 795
    Glock 19
    Remington 870 tactical express
    Couple of boxes of ammo for each
    range time for the family

Still have more to do, but cannot make the wife to upset...so baby steps here on out

Sounds like you did a lot. Never make the wife mad. Survival rule #1.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I joined this forum and finally finished reading this thread. It is nice to see so many different approaches. I just printed the disaster preparedness plan. Skimmed through some of it the other night. We have a lot of the items recommended, they just aren't rounded up. My main priority right now is to get water for 72 hours for the family and pets - hubby, two kids, 3 dogs and a cat. We had a sewer beak in the water mains in town last year. Restaurants were closed and all the bottled water was gone! Luckily my water service was through a different company so it didn't affect our family, but just 2 miles away my daycare lady had to by bottled water to stay open. My daughter played with some of the stock and then we had a leak in a line to our hot water heater in our rental so we had to go without water for about 9 hours. That water stock made it much easier! - Also have the katidyn pen, iodine tablets, bleach options available until I get that water stock back up to snuff.

If you can set aside some money each payday in your budget for those things you want to get. Start with the items that provide the most protection the quickest (smoke alarms, CO2 alarms, weather radios, etc.). Whatever is important to you and your family and whatever you need the most. Then expand out. You don't have to do it all at once just slow and steady and you'll get there.

On the water outage. Don't forget you have water stored in your water heater.

This week I practiced shooting my various weapons, bought a box of 12g and 9mm, repacked my get home bag, bought some gallon water jugs, oatmeal, beans, and got more multi-vitamins.

Ah man I totally forgot about that, I knew that, but forgot. How would I access it? I mean I have drained them before for routine maintenance but most hoses are lined with lead, and how would you control the water pressure so as not to waste it? Mine is not cranked up crazy high but burns are still a concern as I have a two daughters two and ten, and burns aren't fun to begin with no matter what the situation.

If your water is off for an extended period of time then either shut off the breaker to the water heater or close the gas valve depending on whether it's electric or gas. If it's gas it helps to know how to relight the pilot light, too.

Shut off your water at the main valve. This will either be at the meter or a valve of some type used to isolate the house. You need to know which and where they are located anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean by the hose being lead lined. If you are talking about a garden hose then no, they aren't. If your water heater sits on the floor you will need a hose. If it's elevated then you should be able to drain it into a container of some type. The water will be the temperature the thermostat is set for so it will be 125F + depending on what it is set at. Just attach the hose to the drain bib and turn the bib on. This is usually done with a screwdriver. Once you have collected the amount of water you need then turn it off. Allow the water to cool or use it as is if you are using it for hygiene. There will be no pressure. It will drain by gravity.

There is a pressure relief valve on top of the water heater. Once you have drained some of the water you can open that valve so you don't create a vacuum inside the water heater. Opening the valve will allow air to flow in as you drain water out.

When your water comes back on close your pressure relief valve. Make certain your bib is closed. Turn your water back on at the main valve. Allow the water heater to refill. Open your faucets to allow any air in the lines to escape. Don't forget to do this to the washing machine, too. After the air has cleared the lines then close all faucets. Once the water heater has refilled you can turn the breaker back on or turn your gas back on at the water heater and relight the pilot light.

If I missed anything someone jump in. I think that's it.

bought new fletchings for my arrows, bought ammo for my rifles, learning to use my mom's old sewing machine (going to try to make a quilt), still dialing in EDC and BOB, repurposing milk jugs and soda bottles for water storage. the jugs are also great to put in the freezer to use in the cooler.

probably a minor effort but I spent 20 minutes making breadcrumbs from the last few weeks dried bread ends and stale buns.

I bought a Coleman stove. I will finish up my pickel barrel composter tomorrow. Getting ready to buy a handgun. And hears a good one that I hope everyone opens their eyes to...I am studying up on the "Constitutional Sheriff". Seems that under the Constitution, the local sheriff is THE HIGHEST AUTHORITY IN YOUR COUNTY. This means that he has the authority to stand tall against the federal government. The sheriffs oath is, not to the government, not to the state, not to the law. His oath is to the U.S. Constitution (the highest authority in the land) and the State Constitution. His duty is to protect his citizens from all enemies, FOREIGN (U.N.?) and DOMESTIC (abusive federal laws?). I know a lot of people will say, "what the...?". But for the sake of having hope for America, that this "situation" can be turned around, Go to www.cspoa.org and go to www.youtube.com and search for "cspoa" and "Sheriff Richard Mack". There ARE American heros.

"This means that he has the authority to stand tall against the federal government."
    LOL. If you have ever watched a local sheriff (not the deputies, but the actual sheriff) for a county have to try to get a word in edgewise between state, federal and local law enforcement over jurisdiction, you wouldn't think they have that much power.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

That is my point. Many Sheriffs spend their careers not taking the trouble to think about the oath they took. And whats worse, they think they work for the law. I contacted one of our local sheriff candidates and he told me that as far as he knows, federal law IS the supreme law of the land. I won't be calling him for help. The CSPOA (Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association) is an organization of sheriffs who take seriously their oath to "uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States". These are "Constitutional Sheriffs", not just sheriffs. The sheriff is the only law enforement official elected by the people and he is answerable ONLY to the people who elected him.
    Please take the time to watch these 2 videos (for starters)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3hS8cNWdhg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ygEk7lvvg
    There are many videos (search "cspoa" and "sheriff richard mack") from the Jan 2012 CSPOA conference.
    By the way, Sheriff Mack sued the feds over the Brady bill and won.
    I truely believe in this as a tool for the survival of America.
    If your just a sheriff, your part of the problem. If your a Constitutional Sheriff, your part of the solution.

Just ordered 2 sealed buckets of freeze dried Wise Foods 60 serving entrees.
    They were on sale (better price than Wise website) and I'm happy it's all vegetarian.

A nice addition to MH #10 cans I already have.

(Mr B's gonna kill me.)

Service the wheel bearing, tires (including spare) and such on the covered "job"trailer....added X tire iron to be carried with floor jack in trailer.....don't need to get into the truck to change a tire.
    I bet the lug nuts haven't been off in a year, added a can of WD-40 an flashlight to rear tool box....everything "smooth now".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Since my last post on this thread about about three weeks ago I have, repurposed water jugs, got the running leak fixed in my master toilet, read a lot of threads on this forum, practiced a few different ways to start fire- I learned I am rustier than I thought I was, let my daughter-10, start a fire! She did awesome!, froze a few tomatoes, got a cavity filled, had blood work drawn, continuing to potty train our youngest, (we are actually done with diapers but still fine tuning), and found two alternate ways home from work. I am currently temping so my workplace has been changing a lot lately.

Mil-Dot Firearms Academy Kosuki's Avatar

This week, did nothing to prepare, been very busy with stuff. I will do something next week ^^

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Just ordered 2 sealed buckets of freeze dried Wise Foods 60 serving entrees.
    They were on sale (better price than Wise website) and I'm happy it's all vegetarian.

A nice addition to MH #10 cans I already have.

(Mr B's gonna kill me.)
    Ms B. have your tried that brand? I haven't tried that brand and was wondering if you actually like them.

I have tried the Wise Food brand and liked it. Like any other food that you buy for long term storage, make sure you look at the serving size, calorie count and nutritional information to make sure it suits your needs.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel