Page 53 of 93 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1860

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

I shoveled the 100' driveway. It used to be 50', but every year it gets longer and longer.

I don't need it, but figure in an emergency the emergency folks might. Anything to make their job easier and quicker if need be.

You know, that's a very good point. We don't often get enough snow to cover a fire plug but when it happens I go out and dig the darn thing out for the firemen. I figure the house they save just might be mine.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It's something I just thought of recently. Example: My mom gets sick and I call 911. They get here and slip and fall on the way in or out. I usually shovel a path for the mail lady too. Or I go to run her to the hospital and get stuck on the way out. Unlikely, but....better safe than sorry I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Batch - How are you tethering your laptop to your cellphone? Are you using a USB to cell phone port cable?

Also - I assume you are using your 3G/4G account to access the net?

Finally - Does your provider require a tethering add to your account to be able to do that or did you use something like QPST to unlock the phone?

Rick,

I have tethered using USB to phone cables and also bluetooth. The cable for the iphone is the one that came with it. The phone I used before that was the AT&T Tilt and before that the HTC Wizard I think. Though it had a cingular number designation.

I used the cable you transfer data from phone to PC with. Before those I don't remember what I had.

Yes 3G and I get varying speeds. IRC, I was getting up to just a bit over 1mbps at best. I hack all of my devices and pdanet was the app I have used even when At&T wasn't allowing tethering.

I also did not upgrade to their smart phone or what ever package that they say you need. If you go with the lower plan you just don't get routed as priority traffic if that is within their realm of ability.

Great. Thanks. I get what you're doing. I have a LG Dare phone from Verizon and I had never given any thought to tethering. It does have internet access so it should be possible. I just need to play with it. Thanks!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I picked up a NIB M1950 Stove w/pot and a NIB Marine Corps multi fuel stove w/pot. Both come with spare parts and tools and the Marine Corps stove had a fuel bottle with it.

My (6) 3 liter collapsible water jugs arrived over the week-end.
    The M1950 Is that the stove that fits in the mess kit, little fold up one ?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

It was made by Coleman. Mine is stamped 1980....I think. I'll look again tomorrow. 7 inches tall. 4 inches across folded up.

I picked up a two burner propane stove yesterday that was advertised on Craig's List. I have no idea how old this thing is but it's old. It's cast iron and stands about 30 inches tall. It looks like a Buffalo Tools or Hurricane 2 burner except the legs are longer. While I'm picking it up the guy says I have one similar in the back but two of the legs are broken. You can have it for $5. So I wound up with two of them. It's a Peerless 102. Again, I have no idea how old it is. I have a couple of contacts I'm going to call on Monday to see if I can get replacement legs. Otherwise, I may see if someone can weld them. He had the legs, too. I know welding cast iron is a pain in the tush but I also know if can be done if someone takes their time and knows what they are doing. It would have to be a good weld because it will have to support the burner and the cooking pots. Here's what it looks like.

Blog Entries

Here's what it looks like.

That is a sweet score.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

In lieu of welding, could you use the existing hole in the frame (or drill it if different than the picture) and then drill and tap a small piece of bar stock to make threaded, removable legs?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yes, I can. I had thought about just building a metal frame to sit it in but I'm going to see if I can put it back together like it's supposed to be before I botch it up. My wife hates it when I botch stuff together but it sure is fun.

I repacked my BOB to include the new stuff I got from Safe Zone...thanks Rick! I also started a two knife set for my pack. One is kind of a kukri for the tough jobs and the other is a patch knife to do the "easy work".

Updated my first aid/CPR/AED training this week.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

That's valuable training. I wish more would take it. Nice job Nell.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Converted wheel weights into 400 gr boolits

Doing my best to recycle evil lead

Set up my melt pot for melting pewter, finished pouring a cap on the end of a knife.

Cleaned out and poured 487 .357 158 gr bullets.
    Processed another small batch of WW's and about 10 lbs of soft lead, back into ingots.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I tried out a few new cordage plants...well vines, actually. Also seed bombed some old forgotten gullies with fast fruit tree and perennial veg seed, put in a lot of sling practice (the old fashioned kind, not the kind with the rubber) and set about dealing with the metre plus grass growing right up to the house... on a hill here, and fire is about the most common way to meet a hasty end in my part of the world. hazard reduction is pretty important otherwise I'll be a toasted marshmallow and never get to see society realise it collapsed years back
    my sense of self approval is bigger than yours. and I chose to be born in the most stupid country ever.

I ordered some dehydrated food. As you know this stuff is pricey so, my plan for this year is to stock-up on freeze dried and dehydrated foods a little each month. Then it's not such a big wallop on the funds.

I added a magnesium fire starter to a couple of things, including my key chain. I use a fero rod to start most of my fires and rarely use magnesium. But, why not have it as an option?

I did the mods Mac recommended to the machete.

The little knife is a Dewalt sawzall blade with 550 cord wrap. My first knife.

The fiber is that tinder I so love from the sabal palm tree. This is easily as strong as your best manila rope. But a much better fire starter.

I said I would get some bag balm and did.

Also picked up a .22 so the wife can learn to shoot. P22.

Single Six was not available. So relax. LOL

Cut a head to get to some willow. But, its a couple miles into the glades.