Page 5 of 93 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

On Sunday I took my brand new shotgun out and shot off about 30 #4 shells.
    This was the first time it had been shot, and I was surprised that it didn't kick
    as much as I thought it would. My buddy had an Ithica Featherlight 12 gauge,
    and although the barrel was longer (26" as opposed to my 20"), it kicked like a
    mule. I found out that this is because of the light weight. Also found out that
    he was shooting 00 buckshot

Sunday evening, after supper, myself, my wife, his wife and him sat down and
    talked about the "end of the world as we know it" scenario that was posted
    elsewhere on this forum. The discussion eventually turned to what we would
    do in the event of a local emergency bug out. All in all, a nice way to spend a
    weekend.

What? And my name wasn't even mentioned? Well, thanks a lot!

This Minister of Science gig has some serious down side to it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

this saterday i went out into the woods and shot a nice fat doe. needless say i spent sunday trimming fat and skinning deer lol, which is fine of course and an expected and even welcomed part of the process for me. the meat will be put into the freezer wednesday after it ages a little more. venison is needed this year more than ever now that im in college with no meal plan so this is an extra special gift this season as it will safe me quite a bit of cash.
    "Go ye to the wilds, to its waters and woods. For it is good to live thus" -Stanley S. Hawbaker

I checked and changed the batteries in my smoke alarms.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I guess this week was similar to last week, more basics.
    1 Quart lamp oil from the dollar store
    1 extra oil lamp wick found at a garage sale for a quarter.
    6 cans of canned chicken that were on sale
    vaccum packed 6lbs of noodles and put in sealed bucket
    bought 6 bags of dried beans (haven't done anything with them yet)
    Got two like new food grade sealable buckets for free
    Bought two 2lb boxes of canning salt and one container of canning lyme.
    bought six tins of kippered snacks, even if my family was starving I would still have these to myself as they detest even the smell of them *smile* (.98 each)
    Added two more ounces of fine silver to my safe
    Worked some more on my AK build project (demilling the kit now)
    bought a book on how to make my own fruit cellar (tonight in fact on amazon for under 10 bucks)
    Put new line on all my ice fishing equipment and bought a new set of blades for the auger
    Bought a bottle of potassium iodide pills (spelling?) they weren't all that expensive I found.
    Bought a brick of .22LR rounds despite having enough ammo for all my guns to last my lifetime and my kid's lifetimes.
    Experimented with making my own pickeled eggs this week... second try, last one not so good as I added too much pickling spice.
    Added 12 rolls of tp to the tp stockpile to end all stockpiles.
    Took sealed tin of AK ammo (700 rounds) to parents house to store in their basement.
    bought 12 jars of Italian seasoned diced tomatoes (3 for .99 at a second hand store)
    Finally vaccum sealed this years crop of dry beans (ALL HEIRLOOM) I put half in the freezer and half on the shelf, I will see if there is any desparity in the germination rates come spring.
    Last but not least I read tons and tons of posts on this site *thumbs up!* but came to the conclusion that 1) There are a number of people who will die from starvation and/or dieseas surrounded by all their weapons and thousands of rounds of ammo but nobody believes that they are "that" person. 2) Too many people (young folks I suppose) are actually looking forward to something happening... that's sad. By all means we should all be praying that we never need to use any of this stuff other than in the usual rotation.

Nice post Cannonman. When you get a chance drop by the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This week, I stocked up on peyote buttons, what the he!! man if I get snowed in, I don't have cable
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

My wife got a deal on bottled water, 10 one gal. containers, for free. Stockpiled it downstairs.

I think I ate the whole turkey ,Oooo wos is me.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Tested the back-up generator........RELUCTANTLY....

went to local outfitting store last night bought a new map of my area not topo but fishing and rec map large enough to give me an idea of whats out there but not too detailed to lose in the details, bought a small kettle for making tea ( got this idea from allan i can heat up water for anything this way and i saw some folks stranded on a hiway for 15 hours trapped in there cars i would be the guy with a bivouac site set up along the tree line on the side of the highway makeing soup and tea and a nice warm fire my sleeping bag and bivy sac) and bought a new strick force fire starter more bulky than my swedish fire steel won't carry it on my belt like i do the swede but the mag bar is really thick it goes into my halver sack which is always beside me
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I'd tell you what I did this week for prep, but my wife reads this site too,
    and that would give away her Christmas present

First snow of the year today.
    Same day we are moving my mom from the seniors home to live with my
    youngest brother. Keep the family together in case of emergency, help with costs, and give mom some company. She wasn't doing so well in there.

Have to set up the new backup generator this weekend and check it out.

Cheers

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been cheating on you guys...in the effort to further my survival in the wilderness, I've been frequenting a different forum ((hears collective inhaling of breath))
    - not to worry, one on a different topic, one for writers ((hears collective exhaling)). Since my writing is what pays my bills such as they are out in the woods, I figured it's high time to take it a bit more seriously and actually get more skilled in that department. Especially since I just got into it by accident and have been flying by the seat of my pants for over a year.
    Actions speak louder than words

There's that talk again about other forums.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I bought 15 boxes of swiss miss with marshmallows.
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    There's that talk again about other forums.
    She lives in isolation in Canada's far north man, she just throws stuff like that out there cuz she gets some weird laughs out of scaring you. Don't be afraid, come back to the monitor....there ya go....other forums! pshaw! sez I..!
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I don't shovel snow anymore (not a big demand for it here) but I remember rubbing ski wax on the shovel to prevent sticking.
    You'd probably draw some stares from the neighbors alright (hey!! how come he gets to have snow...not fair!!) spraying that Pam stuff on shovel blades and snowblower augers works too, prevents the sticking.

Picked up anothe 3200 pounds of corn and took it to have ground into feed,animals are taken care of for a while now,the pigs I got 6 weeks ago have grown substantially on all the feed they can eat,will be butchering them in about a month.Cost me $60 this time to have it ground and add v&m

pigs -3@ $8 each
    Corn-free
    grinding-$78 ($60 this trip,and $18 last trip)
    about $40 in gas

= some pretty cheap bacon
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Just picked up a Rugar M77 30.06 with a Leupold VX I 4-12x40 scope today. Gun was used, scope was new. Overall I am really happy with the set up so far.

I also sat down and cataloged everything I have in my survival kits, and e mailed that to a friend who is just now getting into the idea of all this. Realized I still need a lot of stuff.

picked up a few extra gallons of windshield "blue juice".
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous