Page 45 of 93 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

Sjj, do you have links to those ebooks?

Blog Entries

Last Thursday I put away my summer survival gear and got out my winter survival gear, inventoried it and got it ready for use.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Finally, I have a real preparation to announce. A week ago last Saturday, we had an unexpected appearance here at the ranch. Mrs GI thought she saw a big face through the door on the front porch. It was a black brindle English Mastiff (I can say now, something i wanted since moving out to the prairie). We put signes around the area and called neighbors that we had numbers for. No claims. Soooooooo, we went from Foster parents to adoptive parents at some time this weekend.

Baron is trained to simple commands, house broken and VERY PROTECTIVE. He fills the gap in our security (not to mention out hearts).

Oh, he's about 27" at his shoulder and 80 pounds (for now)

Photo to follow when I figure that out.
    Last edited by Old GI; 12-07-2009 at 07:25 PM.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    Finally, I have a real preparation to announce. A week ago last Saturday, we had an unexpected appearance here at the ranch. Mrs GI thought she saw a big face through the door on the front porch. It was a black brindle English Mastiff (I can say now, something i wanted since moving out to the prairie). We put signes around the area and called neighbors that we had numbers for. No claims. Soooooooo, we went from Foster parents to adoptive parents at some time this weekend.

Baron is trained to simple commands, house broken and VERY PROTECTIVE. He fills the gap in our security (not to mention out hearts).

I hope you and the pooch the best.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    Yep - the vehicle is loaded with a lot more cold weather geat (the bulky stuff
    Where are you at?
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post

Still a puppy. I would love one, I think the best I will be able to do is a bull mastiff "relatively" smaller than an English. A most excellent addition to your home defense
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

had a couple of hours to kill today. Bakery was running late loading my truck so I went to the local surplus store and picked up a couple pair of military issue boots ( new) for $19 a pair, and 6 more wool blankets for $14 each.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Dogs make good early warning systems but little else in terms of security.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Baron just went for a check-up. He's 96.5 lbs and about one year old. Oh, and he's a Mama's Boy!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Messed up and didn't reserve camping at the place my kids wanted to go with my sisters kids. So now we are camping on Tory Island at Slim's Fish Camp Saturday night. This is on Lake Okeechobee's East side. Used to hunt gators from there and the maiden cane is all over the place. So, I am going to cop me some maiden cane and make a water filter out of that. Then I am on the lake with the kids all day Sunday.

Oh, yeah... That maiden cane is filled up with hog. So, I'll be toting the Benelli...

Have a good time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Been busy so ( shame on me) haven't really done much prepping because of holidays. Other than the stuff I got for christmas. I just ordered a pack of the thompson survival snares from amazon, to add to my gear I've never used them but have read they are decent. For $25.00 a dozen I hope i made a good investment. Anybody here that's used them or know anything about them?
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Found out that a cheapo magnesium firestarter and johnny on the spot bowdrill are not very user friendly.

Found out a lighter is.

Got together a BOB, two BOBS actually. Mini BOB for the car and Big BOB for the house.

Experimented with several new types of tinder and lightened my big BOB by 10-15 lbs.

Gave a copy of JW Rawles "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It" to sister and introduced the "prepping" topics slowly. Got her new 5.5KW Generator (she bought it, I just took it out of the vehicle and set it up) out of the box and ready to go and explained the "extension cords and power strips" were just temporary until we can get a good Gen Transfer Switch (available at Lowes) installed at her place. Only problem is that it is a "pull-cord" and not electric stsart, which might be a problem for sister. Talked about the multi-fuel carburetors available for it, for the future. It was a good Christmas that saw firearms as well as ammunition given to members of the immediate household. Took daughter to the range for some handgun instruction yesterday, will take son today for rifle sighting-in. Gotta start buying ammunition from "Cheaper than Dirt" website. Read-up on different simple antibiotic therapies for common maladies and made a list of antibiotics to slowly acquire and keep in inventory. Went through the First Aid Kits again for familiarity, and found my bandage scissors in my sons room... replaced in kit. Looking for scalpel blades and suture materials locally... with limited success. More reading on meat-rabbits... not quite ready to take that plunge yet, but working up to it. Eyed some downed trees near the house for potential free firewood (I'll save those for later). Oh, and got one of those nifty hand-crank lanterns for Christmas too. Making a new whole wheat bread recipe today since I am off work until next week. Whew.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Electricity is back and a new storm pointed this way. I replenished the gasoline I used, restocked wood inside the garage, quick routine of the generator and made sure the area around the house is secure. I didn't need to dive into any stuff stashed, just replaced what we always keep on hand, like topping off the car, Jeep, ATV and chain saw mix I have used, had to touch up the chain and double check on extra bar oil. I didn't use any materials except the normal, everyday stuff we keep. Bring on the snow!
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Looks like the weather that we're going to get tomorrow is going to work it's way up the east coast. Y'all stay safe.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This week I joined up here, read all the stickies in the General Survival / General Survival Discussions section start to finish. Thanked my lucky stars that ya'll aren't to fussy about proper spelling and bought 200 feet of 550 para-cord. I'll be adding that to my CERT bag for now and start collecting stuff for my personal BOB next week.
    That which you sew, so shall ye reap.
    United States Blowgun Association

Lightened my BOB by another 10 lbs. I realized that lugging a 75 lb. pack, .22 rifle and already being weighted down with winter clothes was not something I want to do.

Ya, we've had snow on the ground for well over a week now and pretty cold. I'ts been in the teens and 20's in the day and last night it got down to 6 F.

Rain melted the snow on christmas and it returned the next day. It's been snowing on and off since and we have about 3 or 4 inches.

I went to a gun show yesterday, and I didn't by any guns or ammo. What I did bring home, is my first wool blanket. It's mil-surp, but believe it or not, it doesn't really stink.

(Why is it, that almost all military surplus smells like that?)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"