Page 44 of 93 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I guess you did post that. Must be an age thing. If I could just remember what goes before memory. Hmmmm.
    LOL if you find out let me know!!!!
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Blog Entries

Watched awfully many episodes of Extreme Survival - Ray Mears, on you tube.
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Picked up a Minor Surgical Kit very reasonably at my local Army Surplus Store. 3 Hemostats, scissors, scalpel and multiple blades, tweezers, probes, picks, suture kit, penlight, swabs and stuff... even a nice little straw section for a trache...hope I never need it... all in a nice OD canvas case where it won't get strewn all over the inside of the first aid kit. Added large and small Ace Bandages and wet supplies to the first-aid kit, again.
    Oh, by the way, my surplus store sells the real 550 Paracord for $54.95 for 1000 foot spool. I don't know if that is good or not. My last buy was 300 feet for $14.95, but I don't comparison shop. My two surplus stores do a good job for me, so i stick with them. Just like I stick with my Gun Shop, even though he is not the cheapest... he gives me range time and an occasional price knock-down, and he always has practice ammunition... he has a contract with a local reloader. I can count on him in a pinch and I like to spend money locally.
    Re-tasked a cell phone charger to fit a set of my FM walkie-talkies, and picked up some new Li-ion rechargable batteries for said devices. Batteries are not cheap, but better than the old Ni-Cad's that had started leaking. Plus, I have a couple of these cell chargers that can fit this task now. Finally, a use for some of these cell phone parts I have laying in the drawer. Wish I were smart enough to rewire the old cell phones into private walkie talkies all on a given frequency...anybody know how to do this? It sounds illegal, so if it is, don't tell me how to do it.
    Finally read "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank. Written in 1959, it is surprisingly up to date... about the pre and post Nuke strikes and confirmed Mutually Assured Destruction, but they didn't call it that in 1959. Book is slow up to Chapter 5 when the nukes start falling, then after that, it is a pretty good survival novel.
    Began studying "Where There is no Doctor" (free download..do a search). There are several of these applicable free downloads available, including a companion text "Where There is no Dentist", but that one gave me the heebie-jeebies so I put it down until later.
    Fattened up the larder just a little more. Wife says I need to finish a storage room in the basement for more food preps. She's coming around.
    Started a little Preparedness Blog on Blogspot.... more as a reminder to myself to plan the work and work the plan.
    Picked up 2 little Mace cans at the surplus store for the girls, but they know how to shoot better than me anyway. Might pick up a couple of the big Mace cans and mount them in various rooms in the house.
    Last edited by TomChemEngineer; 11-24-2009 at 08:38 PM.

The big mace cans come in handy when neighbors and relatives overstay their welcome, which is about 20 minutes.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The big mace cans come in handy when neighbors and relatives overstay their welcome, which is about 20 minutes.
    Guess I won't be bugging out/in at your house.........
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I have been making plant cordages to see what works. It's pretty easy and some are surprisingly tough. I've also tried my hand at knapping glass for arrowheads. It's a small arrowhead. Here's a pic:
    Last edited by rebel; 02-18-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Got me a small 1200 watt generator for a back up my if my 5000 watt fails. Won't do what the 5000 does but would be better than nothing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hauled in 1/2 Ton (1,000 pounds) of food, and a load of straw for my friends, using the Ski-Doo and large sled.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I have been making plant cordages to see what works. It's pretty easy and some are surprisingly tough. I've also tried my hand at knapping glass for arrowheads. It's a small arrowhead. Here's a pic:

I tried napping glass and didn't have much luck. It kept spliting across the center. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I tried napping glass and didn't have much luck. It kept spliting across the center. Any advice?
    It took me about six points without breaking one. Canid and Crash would be more help than me on this.

I have not tried my hand a glass knapping yet.

Nice looking work Rebel.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Got me a "man purse" today, at the gun show. I think they used to be radio bags. (One like NCO was talking about, a while back.)

I also picked up a bag of what Georga arms calls .44 Mag "Deer Slayers". They are 240 gr. JHP's loaded to 1350fps.

The thing that I got excited about, was a knife. I call them little K-Bars.....It's the one like Ken found.(His dad's) It didn't have a sheath, but about a dozen tables later, I found a sheath, for it. I paid $15 for the knife, and $7 for the sheath.
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 12-05-2009 at 07:59 PM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Got me a "man purse" today, at the gun show. I think they used to be radio bags. (One like NCO was taslking about, a while back.)

I also picked up a bag of what Georga arms calls .44 Mag "Deer Slayers". They are 240 gr. JHP's loaded to 1350fps.

The thing that I got excited about, was a knife. I call them little K-Bars.....It's the one like Ken found.(His dad's) It didn't have a sheath, but about a dozen tables later, I found a sheath, for it. I paid $15 for the knife, and $7 for the sheath.
    I use a "murse" (Man-purse) for my stuff. I could walk out and survive with the murse. The murse: H&K USP .40, 37 HMF's, cash, cards, phone and survival crap.

I found the thread.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...rry#post163110

I guess they were gas mask bags.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Got me a "man purse" today, at the gun show.
    I use a "murse" (Man-purse) for my stuff.
    Hey Guys? If we ever go out for a beer, please leave your pocketbooks home. Okay?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Hey Guys? If we ever go out for a beer, please leave your pocketbooks home. Okay?
    Mine is for in the woods, silly.
    Wear it out for a beer? Oh, heavens no! I don't have any shoes to go with it, yet! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Here's mine: http://www.luggageworksonline.com/br...135-5-11-51-44

It goes well with the pumps (shotgun that is).

Here's mine: http://www.luggageworksonline.com/br...135-5-11-51-44

It goes well with the pumps (shotgun that is).
    Now that's funny! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Got me a "man purse" today, at the gun show. I think they used to be radio bags. (One like NCO was talking about, a while back.)
    Just tell everybody it a "Possibles bag", you know, mountain man stuff.
    (helps if you have a beard)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well, today was get everything ready for winter day.
    Cleaned out the wood stove in the garage/shop, haven't need it it yet this year.
    Fired it up, then on to the snow blowers (2).
    New plugs, fresh gas, fired them up.....good to go.
    Next was the gen-set, haven't have it running yet this year.
    Changed oil, plug, fresh gas and away it goes.
    Shut down outside water supplys, got shovles out.

Relaxed in front of the wood stove with a cold one.
    I'm ready...............
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27