Page 42 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Thats awesome Ken! Nothing like getting the information from the source,what a memory he has!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Ditto....and Ken, I bet you made the guy feel a whole lot better, knowing that someone has his house, that appriciates it, and will take care of it.

Good deal, for both of you.
    He has an incredible memory (he build the second home ever on the road) and it was a win-win for both of us!

He was happy to visit and looks forward to coming back. But still, he says he's glad he sold the place, because he was maintaining it mostly by himself from 2001 to 2006. Now he has more time to get in trouble with his son, grandkids, and great-grandkids, and it seems he's the best card player at the senior center........
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    He has an incredible memory (he build the second home ever on the road) and it was a win-win for both of us!

He was happy to visit and looks forward to coming back. But still, he says he's glad he sold the place, because he was maintaining it mostly by himself from 2001 to 2006. Now he has more time to get in trouble with his son, grandkids, and great-grandkids, and it seems he's the best card player at the senior center........
    He sounds like a slightly older version, of you.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough
    Have decided to sell my best friend
    Uh oh. Someone on the forum is in trouble now.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    He sounds like a slightly older version, of you.
    Pffffft. I just graduated from day care.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Now that is a good deal.Could you imagine how tough it would have been to figure some of that out, if at all? Watch your tab with those guys, they may be professional "hot-dog/fish-and-chips" eaters
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Now that is a good deal.Could you imagine how tough it would have been to figure some of that out, if at all? Watch your tab with those guys, they may be professional "hot-dog/fish-and-chips" eaters
    The man saved be a bundle in time and money. He had one little spot where he kept a shotgun that NOBODY would have found.........
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    The man saved be a bundle in time and money. He had one little spot where he kept a shotgun that NOBODY would have found.........
    Now ,if you only owned a shotgun,,, just saying
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Now ,if you only owned a shotgun,,, just saying
    Terrible thing when all your guns get stolen.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

We have our first freeze warning of the season tonight and I spent today harvesting everything that was left in the garden. Brought in all the Butternut Squash. Man, oh man. Just a few seeds make a lot of fruit!! This is the first year I've grown BS (couldn't resist) and I don't know why I've not grown it before. It's the easiest thing in the world to grow, doesn't require much care and produces a LOT of squash. The down side is it takes up quite a bit of room. But I think BS will be a staple of mine from now on. (Let the jokes begin!!)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

will be
    but I thought - isn't it - haven't you ---- aww heck - nevermind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You know...I could have sworn...ahhhhh never mind. (Thought I was having a Ken, sighting.)

Rick, you should know by now, that BS multplies fast!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

BS does multiply. However, it does not subtract, contract, counteract, protract or refract.

Blog Entries

Cleared out the log store ready for a delivery on friday. Have to take the axe to the butchers to get it sharpened(I know, I know, but for the life of me I cannot put an edge on anything!) Showing Winnie jnr how to swing a 7lb axe properly before he takes his knee out. Added some good dried foods to the store.
    I've put buying a bow and an air rifle on hold until the new year, all of a sudden the pots empty and prices are scary.

Edit to add- To reduce the amount of space a squash vine needs, I usually train them round the rootball at about 3-4ft diameter circle. I find this also helps the flowers set as the bees have the flowers closer together.
    Last edited by Winnie; 10-11-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Started raising a barn, which will double as part of the perimeter enclosing my property and my home! Very exciting, my own fortress~!!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie
    To reduce the amount of space a squash vine needs, I usually train them round the rootball at about 3-4ft diameter circle. I find this also helps the flowers set as the bees have the flowers closer together.
    Excellent suggestion!!

I canned all the squash that had damaged skins. Chopped one up for Squash soup. It's simmering at the moment. The rest will go into the garage and be used over winter.

Got a deal on dry dog food for our wolf mix. Damaged 50# bags for $3.00 a bag. Bought 500# and two screw top 30 gallon drums to store it for $ 5.00 each. Also added 50# of dried beans in 5 gal sealed pails and 3 more 12 pks of ramen noodles.
    Last edited by oldsoldier; 10-12-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Excellent suggestion!!

I canned all the squash that had damaged skins. Chopped one up for Squash soup. It's simmering at the moment. The rest will go into the garage and be used over winter.
    You ever toss some red or white kidney beans in that soup? Mmmmm. I usually toss a couple of links of chourico in as well, but heck, you probably couldn't find that stuff within 500 miles of where you live.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients

1 butternut squash, peeled
    1 apple
    ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    Salt and pepper
    1 onion, chopped
    3-4 cups chicken stock to desired consistency.

Directions

Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. Core, peel and slice apple. In large pot melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add squash, apple and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash and apple are tender. Remove squash chunks and apple slices with slotted spoon and place in a blender and puree. Return blended squash to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.

I used vegetable stock instead of chicken. I wanted a more puree' consistency and the 4 cups of stock made it very "soupy". So I let it simmer until it achieved the consistency I wanted. It was really quite good.

You could also use an immersion blender instead of a regular blender.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients

1 butternut squash, peeled
    1 apple
    ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    Salt and pepper
    1 onion, chopped
    3-4 cups chicken stock to desired consistency.

Directions

Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. Core, peel and slice apple. In large pot melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add squash, apple and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash and apple are tender. Remove squash chunks and apple slices with slotted spoon and place in a blender and puree. Return blended squash to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.

I used vegetable stock instead of chicken. I wanted a more puree' consistency and the 4 cups of stock made it very "soupy". So I let it simmer until it achieved the consistency I wanted. It was really quite good.

You could also use an immersion blender instead of a regular blender.
    I always cut the squash in half, de-seed, then drizzle with a bit of olive oil and roast in the oven. If the skin is very soft you can just chuck the whole thing in the soup so there's much less wastage and the flavour is better too!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I like it roasted with butter and cinnamon and sugar. Ymmm.