Page 41 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

Hunter63 in the shop, learning, melting, casting, lubing, sizing, reloading with new bullets, ordering parts and more different cal molds. Man, can this be addicting........

Harvesting leaves (mowing them up) for the compost heap.
    Harvesting tomato's, cooking up, freezing, picking beans, peppers, last of the sweet corn.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Bought a spare 20 lb LP tank, more canned goods, filled gasoline cans and added sta-bil
    "It's not how hard you hit, it's how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa

Went to Lowe's for some plumbing supplies, and bought a Smith's knife sharpening kit. It is kinda like the one that Hoosierarcher had at jamboree. Now I've gotta figure out how to use it. I also bought/ordered one of the "survival" buckets from costco.

I joined this site! I began to compile a cache of 'goodies' from the wonderful suggestions here, and am in the process of teaching myself survival basics - very much newbie stuff, but then... I'm a newbie.
    ~T
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

More yard work, pulled tomatoes, all appear to have the blight.
    Pulled up and am discarding in trash, as I don't want to have the plants in the compost.
    Anyone else have this problem?

Used to burn off the leaves every other year, and till in leaves the other years.
    Have a burning ban now, and it shows in the amount of stuff that over-winters.

Loading up .357's.

Brought home a load of free fire wood, too green to burn this year, but will be split and drying for next year.
    (Ever notice that free wood has crappy quality control, as far a length goes?)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That's okay, TootsieP. We all started somewhere. The important thing is you started!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's okay, TootsieP. We all started somewhere. The important thing is you started!!
    LOL Thanks Rick! That's how I feel about it too.

Cranked up generator and got new gas.

trying to recover from a bad broke leg,will be stopping in more now that I am home again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tootsiepop254 View Post
    I joined this site! I began to compile a cache of 'goodies' from the wonderful suggestions here, and am in the process of teaching myself survival basics - very much newbie stuff, but then... I'm a newbie.
    ~T
    Ain't it like, being a kid, with a new toy?!?!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Ain't it like, being a kid, with a new toy?!?!
    YES! I'm in love! There is SO much information and so many wonderful people here!

And the smileys rock - just a bonus!

Networking..... Spent four days in Elkins city park participating in a primitive camp at WV Forest Festival for the first time. I've been invited back.

Set up time swap with three people. One for canning my pares. Jim and I will get the pears out of my trees about four bushels. My wife and Jim's will can them. They take home half the peaches and I get half the jars they brought. Next year we'll can apples if we have any.

I'll be helping a friend divert a creak for a small hydro electric system. When the spring gets spring run off a lot of big rock will wash down from the mountains and damage the the turbine. Tom will help me do some repair on a corrugated roof and seal coat it.

I'll be renting a log splitter for two days dave and I will be working with each other to split fire wood. One day it my house and the other at his. He will also teach me how he splits by hand.

Not bad results for city camping in buckskins.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Saturday I got myself a small MIG welcer from Harbor Freight that was on sale and also a table saw also on sale .......

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce View Post
    Saturday I got myself a small MIG welcer from Harbor Freight that was on sale.......
    Ponce let me know how the welder works out. I've been thinking of getting one.

Two medium size alice packs ($17.00 ea.). Two ponchos. Books: Boundry waters and quetico fishing guide by Michael Furtman. Blacksmith's craft by Charles McRaven. Blacksmithing basics for the homestead by Joe DeLaRonde. Wilderness living by John and Geri McPherson. Harvesting the wild and Emergency preparedness and survival guide from the Backwoods Home magazine.

Old soldier? I made a mess with it because I am not a welder.......like to keep it anyway.

Oh yah, got myself a "Thermoelectric Generator"......found it in an old barn and got it for free, it works with propane...........got it all clean up and it looks like it does work, have to get the goodies for it, like the hoses that will fit.

Made by 3M, wrote to them and they say that they quit making those in 1975 and that as far as they know the one that I have was made in WWII and used by the army.

Blog Entries

We tracked down the the original owner of our new place and had him over this past weekend. He built the house himself 56 years ago. He's 94 now, drives a new SUV, and seems to remember every nail he drove building the house and the shed way out back. (Another guy owned it for about a year before we bought it, and he was neither friendly nor knowledgable.)

He answered several questions we had, like where the well is and how deep it is. (Just a few feet in front of the walk to the front door and 163 feet deep.)

Now we know that the switch in the garage that was connected to something powers up the shed way out back. The plugs in the old circuit breaker box (we upgraded) WERE used as generator feeds. Now, we have a transfer switch.

Yep, there is a separate underground tank for the washer discharges, as well as a huge crushed stone pit way out to the right of the house where the sump pumps discharge into. He only had measurable water in the basement once in 53 years. (On Sunday morning, I upgraded the original sump well, discharge pipes, electric connection, and replaced the pump and added an alarm. Then, I cut another hole in the basement floor and installed a second sump pump and alarm in the laundry room near the washers - just in case.)

Seems this place (the house and the yard) has more than a few other hidden features that we wouldn't have found in a month of Sundays. Let's just say that the gentleman thinks like most of us here do.

He showed us where the rabbits live near the stone wall way out back, where the two groundhogs still reside, and where the deer usually come onto the property at night.

More than two acres of the property is still mostly overgrown. He showed us where the pasture was, where the garden (with GREAT soil) was, and explained that those two stainless steel barrels buried way out back with covers on them and pipes way at the bottom were for hot and cold water for the cattle (25 head) and two horses he kept 'till around 1990.

He asked if he could come over when we plant the garden next spring.

I took three pages of notes, and got answers to 19 questions I had typed up before he arrived. What a nice old gentleman he is.

His favorite restaurant is a hot-dog/fish-and-chips place about two miles from my office. He goes there twice a week with his 96-year-old brother. They sell gift certificates (actually, plastic gift cards - at a hotdog joint) so lunch will be on me for the next year or so.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned
    Blog Entries

I had a Hot shower yesterday, the second shower this year, the other was in March. Cost $6.00 for a hot shower, I hate wasting money that would be better spent on whiskey. Also traded a pair of used Caulk'Boots for enough insulation to insulate the Gooses'House. Have decided to sell my best friend, This was awful, but sometimes painful roads must be traveled. I fear the future holds many painful choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    We tracked down the the original owner of our new place and had him over this past weekend. He built the house himself 56 years ago. He's 94 now, drives a new SUV, and seems to remember every nail he drove building the house and the shed way out back. (Another guy owned it for about a year before we bought it, and he was neither friendly nor knowledgable.)

He answered several questions we had, like where the well is and how deep it is. (Just a few feet in front of the walk to the front door and 163 feet deep.)

Now we know that the switch in the garage that was connected to something powers up the shed way out back. The plugs in the old circuit breaker box (we upgraded) WERE used as generator feeds. Now, we have a transfer switch.

Yep, there is a separate underground tank for the washer discharges, as well as a huge crushed stone pit way out to the right of the house where the sump pumps discharge into. He only had measurable water in the basement once in 53 years. (On Sunday morning, I upgraded the original sump well, discharge pipes, electric connection, and replaced the pump and added an alarm. Then, I cut another hole in the basement floor and installed a second sump pump and alarm in the laundry room near the washers - just in case.)

Seems this place (the house and the yard) has more than a few other hidden features that we wouldn't have found in a month of Sundays. Let's just say that the gentleman thinks like most of us here do.

He showed us where the rabbits live near the stone wall way out back, where the two groundhogs still reside, and where the deer usually come onto the property at night.

More than two acres of the property is still mostly overgrown. He showed us where the pasture was, where the garden (with GREAT soil) was, and explained that those two stainless steel barrels buried way out back with covers on them and pipes way at the bottom were for hot and cold water for the cattle (25 head) and two horses he kept 'till around 1990.

He asked if he could come over when we plant the garden next spring.

I took three pages of notes, and got answers to 19 questions I had typed up before he arrived. What a nice old gentleman he is.

His favorite restaurant is a hot-dog/fish-and-chips place about two miles from my office. He goes there twice a week with his 96-year-old brother. They sell gift certificates (actually, plastic gift cards - at a hotdog joint) so lunch will be on me for the next year or so.
    Thats awesome Ken! Nothing like getting the information from the source,what a memory he has!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Thats awesome Ken! Nothing like getting the information from the source,what a memory he has!
    Ditto....and Ken, I bet you made the guy feel a whole lot better, knowing that someone has his house, that appriciates it, and will take care of it.

Good deal, for both of you.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"