Blog Entries

Congrats Crash & Mrs. Crash!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Congrats, Mr. and Mrs. Crash!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Congrats Crash & Mrs. Crash!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Congrats, Mr. and Mrs. Crash!
    Copycat. That 2dumb is just incapable of an original thought.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

None-the-less ---- it was a nice thought. Thanks guys.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Dang....I am dumb! If I had noticed that it was that close to what you said, I could have just copied your post, and saved all that typing.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

1. Got a chance to practice some first aid skills on a young volunteer that ran into some trouble while doing some volunteer community services at a nearby lake. A good example of being prepared is carrying first aid kit and the normal web kit when you do things with volunteer groups. They looked at me funny when I strapped the web kit on, with the KaBar and buttpack and canteen and additioonal first aid kit, but I used them all. The other volunteers did not take my advice about bringing your own persoanl first aid kit. Some of them now understand why. Cutting gauze and elastic bandages with Kabar got their attention..haha.
    2. Distributed the link to the Red Cross youtube Preparedness video (the vanilla kind of prepping) to several neighbors to get them thinking about getting prepped for things like natural disasters or services interruptions. One step at a time. If they get prepared, they won't need to come knocking on my door when weirdness arrives.
    3. I am executing my plan to exercise the gasoline electrical generator every Saturday by using it for some of the regular exterior house maintenance activities like hedge trimming and blowing, etc to not look so out-of-place to the neighbors. Still need to make the suicide cord from the genny to the dryer outlet to allow backfeeding into the house until I get my transfer switch. This may sound dangerous, but it is OK when you remember to throw the main breaker to be sure no line current gets into the house while this is hooked up.
    4. Collected all the Survival, camping, hunting, gardening, firearms maintenance/ reloading, first aid/ medical, and Basics books in one shelf in the home library.
    5. I did some research and I'm going to be getting some plastic tubs and salt/ alum to do some hide tanning this fall, along with making a fleshing board. Will investigate alternative tanning chemicals after I try the basic Salt/ alum method. Wife thinks I'm going over the edge.
    6. Making fun of Bear Grylls right now while he fords rivers in both the Arctic and Alabama buck nekkid. Some guys will do anything for ratings. But, he caught a wild pig in a snare in Alabama and dispatched it with his expensive knife... assuming that was not staged and planted. He's also talking now about eating deer and rabbit poop..and he just did it. Time to turn him off.
    7. Wife and I are learning to make normal meals with the food storage. One step at a time toward eating what you store and storing what you eat and rotating it at the same time. She made a great hearty soup from canned chicken, noodles, rice and canned vegetables. Still looking for a good and simple whole wheat bread recipe.
    8. Making a better wood storage rack out of second-use pressure treated 2x4's for drying and storing split logs for fall and winter, and for use in the outside fire ring. Still need to get a dutch oven to use in my fire ring. I'm making a habit out of not throwing things away and coming up with alternate uses for all that I can.
    And the time ticks on.

Tom - here's a whole wheat bread recipe that I like. It's from a hand written and hand illustrated cook book titled Dutch Oven A Cook Book of Coveted Traditional Recipes From the Kitchens of Lunenburg.

1-1/2 cups white flour (sifted)
    2 cus whole wheat flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1/8 cup brown sugar
    1-1/2 tbsp. shortening
    1 cup hot water
    1/4 cup warm water
    yeast cake

Soften yeast in warm water. Put sugar, shortening and salt in bowl, and pour hot water over all. Cool. Add yeast and flours. Kneed dough for 10 minutes. Put in greased bowl, and let rise till double in bulk. Punch down and kneed well. Form in loaves, and place in greased pans. Let rise, and bake in moderate oven for 1 hour.

As you can tell, things were done a bit different back then - but it sure does taste good.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks...I'll try it today!

melted lead down into ingots for future use

Split wood... Split wood...Split wood
    lined up a side job to put a lil' xtra cash in my pocket that will go towards a generator that I desperatly need.....
    cut down a few overhanging dead trees that really needed to be cut before winter... and Split more wood... then lined up a tree guy to come over and cut the one that is just to dangerous for me to attempt myself!!!

Got out scouting for the upcoming deer season (Heck that's just my excuse to the wife for gettin out and wandering in the woods for half a day) a couple times....

went out and ID'ed a wild edible growing along my dog walk route ... knew I recognized it, just couldn't remember if it was from a poisonus plant book or an edible plant book...

had a cold night... lit a fire in the stove... using the fire bow method of course!!!.. always pays to practice!! don't wanna hafta perfect it when I need it most!!!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Ordered a solar battery charger and A, AA, C, D, 9vrechargeable batteries. researching water filters.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Got the instructions on how to re-point our satellite internet antenna so we can hopefully do it ourselves without having to get an installer in.
    Actions speak louder than words

Blog Entries

Filling the pantry nicely with more preserves. Looking into solar chargers for some items. Also looking around for a .22 air rifle and a decent recurve bow.

Oh and congrats Mr and Mrs Crash! You're now certified
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

....or certifiable.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Charter fishing, or Marina.

*ahem* there lawyer boy, 2dumb used the comma in the right place which is noticeably lacking in your post. Punctuation is important.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    *ahem* there lawyer boy, 2dumb used the comma in the right place which is noticeably lacking in your post. Punctuation is important.
    Like the time a lawyer told me "The fence only encroaches the property 11" and I replied don't you mean 11'." Details, Details......
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Bought a "duffel" bag triox. stove and fuel tabs, canteen and cup today as a start to replace the BOB that got stolen from my wife's jeep the other day. Next step is wally world for dehyd's and such for it.

I keep updating and cutting down on weight of BOB's. Stocked another tote of non-perishables, talked to friends and family about "prepping,"
    Going camping this weekend with friends. I'm going to set up camp early in the day, then go home and hump back with BOB.
    "I live back in the woods, you see
    My woman and the kids, and the dogs and me
    I got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4-wheel drive
    And a country boy can survive"
    -Hank Williams JR

VanKiller - how about bugging out to the Introduction section and telling us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel