Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

Good thread, WE. I've spent the last two weeks living in a hotel in Atlant's Buckhead section. Nice area, but I was a long way from home with only some of my usual stuff that I stashed in my checked baggage. That included a pocket knife, flint, tube of char clothe, button flashlight, P51 can opener, some first aid supplies and a mini mag light.

So I got to thinking what would I do if I had to make do with what I had with me. I put together a decent list of usables out of the room. Shower curtain is plastic so I'd cabbage on to that for a ground cover or shelter roof. The sheets would make a bed roll. The bed quilt could be made into a parka/cloak. Pillow case for carry bags or even for cotton strips for char cloth or bandages or whatever I needed. Bottles of water, toilet paper, even the electric cords to the clock radio and lamps could be cut up and used for cordage. The Bible, of course would come with me along with the pen and paper in the desk drawer.

I carry Vasolene in my shaving kit so I could strip some cotton cloth out and add some Vasolene to it for a fire starter. Mouthwash is high in alcohol content so it's sort of a disinfectant. The soap from the bathroom along with the shampoo. The list went on.

Sort of a cool experiment to see what I could use in a different environment. That's what I did to prepare this week.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

welcome back ya old fart, other than looking around the room for what you could use did you have an emergency action plan (eap) for where you were and for you family members still back at home (your an empty nester right?)
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

the wife and i talked last night she says she wants to go back to school for an lpn (licenced practical nurse) 2 year program good money when she is done plus valuable skill set as up here they help assit with surgeries and such would be great for stiches or other maladies, i have great mediacal skills but haveing her take the lead in this would help me focus on other areas, she would start next fall but at least a plan is in action so that falls into this week
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Actually (one old fart said to the other) yes. I really did sit down a look at a map on how to hoof it home (okay, maybe steal a ride) assuming flights were canceled. As for the home front, my wife is an RN and has a pretty good handle on where the packs and weapons are. She's not all that exact with a weapon but any woman with a handgun is a dangerous thing. I always call home first and never walk in unannounced. My momma only raised one dumb kid but my brother is a whole 'nother subject.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just buyinga few more leather gear for my side arms.........

picked up another couple bottles of lamp oil, lumber for interior work on my uncles house, added to my candle collection, and added a few more canned goods to the pantry. I am allways buying extra(even if its just one or two items) but at this point i am shopping out of my stored supplies and replacing as i use. Double checked the dates and quantities of medications too. Bought road salt and kitty litter for both vehicles. sometimes the extra weight and/or traction comes in handy up here.
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Default Back aboard

Suddenly decided not to close the deal on the acreage in northern Ontario and I am back aboard my sailboat anchored out off Vancouver Island friendly small harbour. Funny how a bit of time away from something makes the heart grow fonder. Glad (relieved) to be back aboard. No longer a landsman after all I guess. Still have lots of canned salmon put away aboard. Must try and find Olive Oyle again.... a little begging in this matter I am prepared for.

Good luck

I got my 99 cent Mora knife from Ebay. Used and very worn down, but still sharp and usable.

love this topic

In the past few weeks since I've been on here I've:

- ordered about $500 of bulk food and the mylar bags and o2 suckers to go with it
    - went to any thrift store i run across and buy bags of candles for pennies each
    - stocked up on ammo from a local sports store. Got a few hundred rounds more for the shotty, .45 and .22lr
    - bottled up some more clean water
    - used some food grade containers (old protein powder containers) and filled them with rice
    - look for and buy canned goods or bulk rice\beans\etc when on sale, usually something weekly
    - keep in contact with close friends about current conditions and we know a good basic plan of what to do and where to go if we need to bug out or in.
    - cleaned and organized my supply shelter. Plan to do the same for my camping gear this week so its all in one spot for ease of use and if i need to pack it out and leave
    - bought a decent short wave radio (receiver). Looking at getting a transmitter possibly as well
    - started research into getting a decent small solar setup
    Last edited by Madrox; 11-18-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Madrox - sounds like you've been busy. Well done. One thing you may want to consider about your storage.......if everything is in the same spot and something happens to said spot (fire of whatever) then everything is gone. You know best what possible hazards are in your area, so it may not be a concern.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I bought a Marlin Papoose and a brick of 500 .22's for the kids to shoot
    Scored a decent set (4) of snow tires for the truck. I run these year round, work great on grass and mud too.

ya crash that is a very good point that i have been thinking quite a bit about. I've put everything in the one small closet mainly (for now) to get a good inventory on what I do have and what I am missing. The plan is once I am comfortable with what I have and need to split the stash into multiple parts and put some food\water in different locations. Hopefully by the time I do that something doesn't happen to it. I also keep the guns and ammo separate and have a plan to hide those as well that I need to act on asap.

Joined this forum. Began once again to consider the future as it may transpire.

Began thinking about a .22 Rifle.

Scheduled a practice shoot with a friend.

Began taking stock of what I already have put by.

Arranged the purchase, hopefully, of a 4x4 Toyota. Used, has a new engine and clutch, well kept.

Reminded myself of the obvious regarding the election: All Kings, at all times, are allowed into power by Divine Providence, for whatever mysterious and baffling reason. This too will be a time of character strengthening and proving for the prepared mind.

Bought some lamp oil, gave my bov a tune up and fixed a couple of problems. Used my spokeshave to rough out a small self bow. Camped out rough in the mountains Friday and Saturday night with friends. Going into town tomorrow to get some new camo pants. Pretty productive week really
    "Egotism is the anaesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity" - Some Guy

I am wrapping up an EMT-I class and i prepared myself for my midterm. I think I did good. I guess that counts right? I also slipped some handwarmers and foot warmers (the chem kind) into my car. It is getting cold here, I think next week I will add some winter stuff to my car (blanket, shovel, etc) And I am always preparing by reading. The SAS book is on the throne. lol
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

This week I bottled the hard apple cider that has been fermenting, spec grav is 1.00 and it has a nice pungent aroma and a good flavor. I also ordered some extra ammo to have on hand. Tomorrow I plan on starting to construct a dog sled for this winter. If it turns out, I will post some pics when I get it done.
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

what are you using for materials to build the sled tac?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Started 2 new people on the path of preparedness
    Oh yes just purchased a .45acp revolver

Trax- I haven't decided yet for sure. In my area I am pretty limited as far as wood choices at lumber yards. I will probably end up with pine and cedar, to keep the weight down. It only has to be able to carry me (ruunning along behind probably ) and my 4 year old. I know that cedar isn't as strong as some other choices, but I have found it to be flexible in the past. Any suggestions?
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tacmedic View Post
    Trax- I haven't decided yet for sure. In my area I am pretty limited as far as wood choices at lumber yards. I will probably end up with pine and cedar, to keep the weight down. It only has to be able to carry me (ruunning along behind probably ) and my 4 year old. I know that cedar isn't as strong as some other choices, but I have found it to be flexible in the past. Any suggestions?
    Hey tac, ask the lumber yards if they have "Douglas fir or Hemlock" both are extremely tough.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!