Page 12 of 93 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

Starving Artist

I've been gradually increasing my store of dry goods. Every week at the grocery store, I buy 1 extra of what I will actually use. I keep sharpies in the pantry to label date everything so that I can rotate stock.
    Dennis K.
    Not all who wander are lost.
    www.AnthemBrass.com

I just went through my knives last night and set about repairing any chips or pits. I come across older jack-knives occasionaly, they make for great extra blades to carry out in the bush. Usually are missing the big blade, but half the time when I need a blade, it is for some fussy little job where I need a small (1" or 2") blade. Garage sales and second hand junk shops are great for those junk blades. I pay a buck at the most, and if I get a couple of good uses out of it I am happy. Recycling at its best!!
    Turtle Clan/Coffee Addicts Anonymous

went to the mall with my friends. I got a LED crank lantern, it has a radio, alarm, several settings for the light. I picked up the gun, she is a beaut. I got 300 rounds of ammo for her, ordered 2 mags from cabelas. I got some IV supplies and added them to my first aid kit. I got some triangular bandages and put them into my kit. I got a magnesium fire starter.

I am thinking of trading my marlin model 60 for a remington 597. I like the magazines and my dad has one and has said nothing but good things about it, I figure I could get 80 bucks for it and put that toward a 597. I am not a big fan of the 10/22, just personal preference.
    Jeff
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

Finally took my gun safety class so I can apply for my CCW. Jeesh, that was too easy. I should have done it years ago!
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

We replaced handles on all the garden implements and axes. I bought 6 rubbermaid
    18 gallon container totes, with lock tight lids for 5 bucks each. I found 64oz of lamp oil
    for $4.00 and bought 4 bottles. All the above for less than 75.00.
    great week!

Yesterday while working in a neighborhood somebody had a large pile of what some would call trash (I call stuff I might be able to use) by the curb. Found 4 large (10" high, 6" diameter) candles and a rusted propane cylinder (20 lb). Put the candles in my wax stash and exchanged the cylinder for a refurbished one for about the price of a propane fill.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default I Love This Rifle

I picked up a Springfield SOCOM II and 300 rounds of ammo.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

The SOCOM II is on my wish list. A bit spendy though - gotta save my nickles.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Finished my PSK tin.
    Buying some stuff for my BOB
    Getting some extra 20 ga. for my mossie
    And starting to store up some food in 5 gallon buckets.
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!

Crash, I'll have to tell you how that came to be.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Finally picked up a canteen cup and cup stove.

Started work on my computer certifications so maybe I can get a job to buy some supplies. Is sad that we have to have pieces of paper that tell people we know what we know, why can't people just quiz you at the interview (this has happened twice to me)...
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

- bought 500rds of .45
    - added some beans, rice and water to the stash
    - went practice shooting with some like minded folks.
    - added some candles from the local thrift stores to the stash as well

I temp hired an out of work neighbor for a month. There seems to be a surplus of projects.
    Today I made 7 pies to spread around the hood. I'm not looking forward to the clean-up.

Were any of those apple or pecan pies? I work for food.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Tried out a 2-stick fireboard instead of the standard hearth.Drilled right thru with no coal only dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Were any of those apple or pecan pies? I work for food.

3 cherry, 2 blueberry and 2 raspberry.

What time do I start?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sighted in my newest addition, a Browning .270 Win. Love at first shot. Beautiful tight little three round group at 100 yards. Two out of three holes were touching.

Bought a new H&K fixed blade knife. Just the right size and weight for my purposes.

Went to three different Walgreens stores taking advantage of some clearance sale stuff. Picked up Arnica gel for $3, Hydrocortizone cream for $.87 a tube, hand sanitizer for $.50, and bandaids (can't recall how much).

Finished reading The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz. Excellent book. It's about a group of men escaping a Russian prison in northern Siberia and covering thousands of miles to get to freedom. I hate to borrow from book jackets, but it really was riveting. Highly recommended.

Started putting together a new hiking survival kit starting with a cookie tin that I picked up at Walgreens. Pics will follow when it's complete.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

1. Planned out shade garden, trying to maximize use of my shaded lot. Bought some seeds
    2. made an alcohol burner and a multi fuel stove. Works ok but aluminum can is to thin.
    3. finished the design for under deck hide storage.
    4. Shopping at REI for BOB odds and ends.
    5. Antiquing. picked up a saw sharpening vice, 3 small leg traps, 3 round tins for stove experiments $28 not bad.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.