Page 47 of 93 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This one isn't me. This one was my wife. She applied for her life time carry permit today. Woo Hoo!
    Good for her!!!
    In NC., we have to renew every 5 years....I think it is. I haven't had mine long enough to have to renew it yet, but I'm told that they send you the stuff, and you just fill out the form and send them more money.

(I guess they run another background check.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Actually she had mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. I almost fell over. Then, when everything went down the other night I said what would you have done if....Fill in the blank. She was off this afternoon and I said, "shall we go get that permit?" and she said sure. I've been married 35 years and she still surprises me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've been married 35 years and she still surprises me.
    Or you could say that you have been married for 35 years, and you still don't have a clue. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Yes I could!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Added another "gadget" to my gear. A Rothco Solar charger for cellulae phones.bIt comes in a zippered pack about the size of 2 packs of cigaarettes. It has the adapters for all major types of cell phones. You can carry it in your BOB or even in your pack when camping/hiking. It was a little on the expensive side at $50 but if you have an emergency on the trail or where ever and your cell battery is low/dead you can fully recharge it in a couple of hours or use the fast charge pack in a few minutes. All in all a neat and hopefully useful little "gadget"
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

I picked up a pair of Becker Neckers today, a Kershaw Scallion in Pink for my wife and a Scallion in Black for me. Those rascals open fast!

I ate squirrel guts. It was offal. Offal good that is. LOL!
    Last edited by rwc1969; 01-20-2010 at 03:36 PM.

nothing!
    ecxept work, earn money to buy another fishing boat.

A new battery for the MF (Massey-Ferguson). A 20 ft conex for storage in the woods.

Received my new pack...and tried it on? Does that count?
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Got enough PVC, adapters, splitters, hoses, funnels and misc assorted stuff to capture all of the water from my gutters and reroute it anywhere. FYI: We got a grand total of 6 inches of rain in 2009.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMax View Post
    Got enough PVC, adapters, splitters, hoses, funnels and misc assorted stuff to capture all of the water from my gutters and reroute it anywhere. FYI: We got a grand total of 6 inches of rain in 2009.
    Not sure how big your house is, but you can use this formula

SQ Ft of Roof X .6 = Gallons of Water

So, if you have a 2000 SQ FT roof that was 7,200 gallons of water available to be collected from that six inches of rain.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 02-01-2010 at 02:00 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, I learned that one the hard way. You know how fast 7200 gallons can fill up a couple of 50 gallon barrels? About that fast!

I went camping in the snow with the Boy Scouts during their annual Klondike Campout. My winter gear still works to keep me warm and dry. I did figure out real quick that it was to warm for my Carharts colder weather stuff. Sweating in the winter is NOT a good thing. My layered Gortex stuff works well though.

Not a lot of snow, but enough to enjoy.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

We ate very well.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Looks like you and the scouts had a good time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

bought a couple of midland 40 channel hand held C.B's to add to my commo gear.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

I assume you bought the 75-822? If so, the Cobra PMRSM Speaker Mic works very well with it. I just ordered one from WestCoastMall.net for mine. Mic and shipping were $32.48. It will accept an ear bud. It plugs right into the handpiece.

http://www.westcoastmall.net/cobra-p...os-p-3176.html

If you want more stealth, there are tons of throat mics available.

Rick and / or OS: Can you give a thumb nail description / explaination of why you chose a handheld CB/ specifically this model. How easy is it to setup and use, and anything else you think may be informative to a CB novice (me). Thank you

Cost is not what I am thinking as a selection criteria (my wife will be the unwitting financier . I would be looking for quality.
    Last edited by Pal334; 01-30-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: last sentence
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I wanted something that I could take to the field with me. I'm not in the Noatak Wilderness so radio reception is generally not that difficult. Although some terrain could give me a problem. Not only did I want to be able to call for help but having a NOAA radio with me could also keep me out of trouble.

I'm also 250 miles from where we were born and raised and it's darn inconvenient to be on the interstate and run up on a long line of traffic and not know what is going on or which lane I need to be in because of a wreck or construction ahead of us.

And I wanted something at home just in case.

Weighing all those requirements I found the Midland 75-822. It comes with an adapter that let's me use it in the car and an adapter that allows rechargeable batteries so I can take it to the field with me. And it has an NOAA channel to keep up on the weather.

You'll want an external antenna for it if you use it in your car just for the added distance but using the rubber ducky antenna will net you any radio around you and you can expect it to get out a few miles anyway depending on terrain. I figured there's a lot of folks on CB so I should be able to raise someone.

I have a holster for the radio just to make it easy to carry with my pack and I picked up a remote mic just so I don't have to take it out of the holster if I need to use it.

Here's the Midland 75-822:

http://salestores.com/mi75mi40cbwi.html

I'm now looking at a Yaesu VX-6R Ham radio as my final resolve. It's waterproof and it operates at ranges well beyond a CB (unless you're running a hot amp and biggy antennas). Here's the Yaesu.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0666.html

The price seems ok a little steep, but I am willing to pay for quality. It would seem that if I am going to pursue a radio, the Yaesu might be the direction for me. Do you have an additional set for the better half? It would seem to be a good solution to keeping in touch if the solid waste hits the oscilator in most cases.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related