Page 43 of 93 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

Picked up 50 parkerized SKS stripper clips for $20 at Knob Creek Machine Gun shoot.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

I did a time swap this week. Picked 4 1/2 bushels of pears and split them with a friend in exchange for the canning and jars for half. We managed to get 47 out of the 94 pints total and a lesson in canning. All the potted herbs are in and under the grow light. Split 1/2 cord of the most twisted maple I've ever seen.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Splitting maple = good. Splitting twisted maple = not so good.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Splitting maple = good. Splitting twisted maple = not so good.
    Sounds like time for some Aleve
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

Gathered some mushrooms and dried them... Also bought cheap noodles. It's hard time, being a student...
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

I've been a student of something my whole life. You're right.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

lets see, i made six and a half traps and a paracord handle for a knife.
    its still early in the week though.

Blog Entries

I've been a student of something my whole life. You're right.
    Oh, but in a university, living off student allowances(do you type it like that?)... 450e/month + loan 300e/month. -rent 400e/month, -bills 200e/month, -school books 50e/month. 100e to live/month... Not much buying new knives and shotguns...
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCO View Post
    Oh, but in a university, living off student allowances(do you type it like that?)... 450e/month + loan 300e/month. -rent 400e/month, -bills 200e/month, -school books 50e/month. 100e to live/month... Not much buying new knives and shotguns...
    Add 4 kids and a wife to that, and you know where I came from. Glad I finally finished, hence the name, finallyME. Now I just have to pay back all the debt incurred because of school.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

split some oak and found a few fatwood logs. split em up and put them under my little shelter i made.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -Thoreau

I was lucky in that regard. I also went at night while working and raising a family. Fortunately, my company had a liberal education reimbursement policy. As long as you made an A or B in the class they paid for it. Yes, they paid for all my classes. See? I knew what you were thinking even before you thought it....I am the Minister of Science after all.

Blog Entries

Today? Among a few other tasks, a friend helped me install 12 smoke-carbon monoxide detectors with escape lights. Main floor, basement. attic, and garage. They're on a dedicated circuit and all have battery back-up. We also hung or placed 7 ABC fire extinguishers throughout the house.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Bump.... Added another 200 rounds of 5.56 "penetrator" ammo and another 100 rounds for my 30.06. Finally recieved my dehyd. buckets from costco.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Blog Entries

Just got back from Wal Mart. Picked up the limit of 6 boxes of assorted shells and ammo. Just in case I can ever afford to replace my guns, because they were all stolen.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I was in Gander Mountain this week and they have every size and shape of ammo that has ever been made. I walked into Walmart and the ammo shelves looked like a ghost town. Something ain't right with that.

I was in Gander Mountain this week and they have every size and shape of ammo that has ever been made. I walked into Walmart and the ammo shelves looked like a ghost town. Something ain't right with that.
    I read (may have been here, may have been someplace else) that one of the contributing factors of Walmart's shelves being slow to restock is due in part to the manufacturers being able to demand higher prices from other retailers, whereas with Walmart, their suppliers contract has set pricing and minimum supply amounts. As long as they stick to their supply levels dictated by their contract, and the nation-wide demand is still high - they can make a bit more profit supplying other retailers. Gee - Walmart keeping prices low (they could have easily raised their ammunition prices) so that those of us on a budget can still afford stuff. Kind of nice I think.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Rick as I posted before. Due to their contracts prior to elections. Walmart gets there ammo at a heavy discount like 1oo rounds of winchester 9mm ammo for $ 14.95 that sells for $19.95. That same ammo for 50 rounds will sell to other dealers for $ 17.00 (average). So the manufatureer's only send walmart chain wide the minimum to meet the contract. I have a friend that is a salesman for winchester that told me when contract renewal time comes around again it is unlikely they will offer walmart a renewal. Due mostly to prices.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

winchester does not make enough .358 to go around, thus rendering one rifle practicaly useless. never mind reloading components.
    the prices they charge for their crap is outrageous!
    anyway, this weeks' prep is a cut-off shotgun barrel, a fixed snowmobile and one cord of wood cut & split.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 11-08-2009 at 07:37 PM.

I guess you did post that. Must be an age thing. If I could just remember what goes before memory. Hmmmm.

I guess you did post that. Must be an age thing. If I could just remember what goes before memory. Hmmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MLBfwblps8
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"