Page 55 of 93 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1860

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    a vodoo tactical mollie platform FAK pouch on a leg drop platform.
    A what?? (Hope you're feeling better.)
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMax View Post
    A what?? (Hope you're feeling better.)
    Basically it is a pouch in the army digital pattern that mesures about 6"X8"X3" that is on a attachment that hooks to a pistol belt and has straps to tie it down on your leg sort of like a holster. The "mollie" attachment is what the military and most LEO's use now to attach equipment to a tactical vest. and voodoo tactical is the brand of the pouch.

As for feeling better at least I no longer feel like I'm dieing or wonder if it was a better option to the pain.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis K. View Post
    Familiarized myself w/ some more back roads out of the metro area. It can be surprisingly difficult to get out when not using main arteries. My assumption, in the event of an actual emergency, is that major arteries & thoroughfares will be clogged.
    Note to self - time to update my local area maps.

I don't know if you will ever see this, Some GPS can be preprogrammed with a very specific route to a destination. Or poke in several points of interest along back roads and you won't make a mistake.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Planted lettuce seeds last Thursday--and they're already growing! Plan on planting my peas and kale seed this weekend. So glad Spring is here!

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivalSeedBnk View Post
    Planted lettuce seeds last Thursday--and they're already growing! Plan on planting my peas and kale seed this weekend. So glad Spring is here!
    Can you see through the haze of pollen, today?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Can you see through the haze of pollen, today?
    Beats a haze of soot any day.

Going through my junk mail I found my annual dividend from REI. This year it's 121.31! Also got a 20 percent off coupon. I am well set already but I will be upgrading something this week so going through their web site today. One of the good things about REI membership is even if it's not in store you can order it online and pick it up at store without freight charges.

Planted various edible things. Blew out the generator, money is short, so no adding to the larder or buying more stuff for a while. Planned battery-back-up with inverter and multiple inputs. Went thru the 3 day pack, went through the big first aid kit, the medium first aid kit, and the web-gear mounted first aid kit and put some antibiotics away for later. Cycled some gasoline through the vehicle, made some ground leaves for the mulch pile and cut a few logs to length to season over the summer. Packed some more water into used 2 liter Coca Cola bottles and put it away. Funny, when we get our lives going down the preparation path, we start looking at everything as an opportunity to prepare a little bit more.

Hey, Tom. When you get a minute I've got some stuff needs done at my place.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I could not wait and made the trip to REI today. I got a Gerber hatchet with saw blade in the handle. I have a smaller pack ax with knife in handle I like but the handle is too short to give much leverage so went with longer handle. This one will go with my normal camping pack replacing a small Gerber machete with saw blade that will go into hiking pack. I have 5 different packs so when I upgrade one it ususally upgrades the others too. I also got a swiss army soldiers knife. It goes directly into one of my survival packs. I got too carbineer compasses with a magnafying glass that will be cliped to each of my survival packs. I have lots of webbing and got a few buckles. Not sure how I will use them yet but what the hell. Most REI's camping gear is too expensive for me to justify normally but as a benifit of buying my skiing and climbing gear there I can live with it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

AS how are the 5 different packs organized?

Good for you, AS. I know what it's like to have money burning a hole in your pocket. A man has to do what a man has to do. Good score.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    AS how are the 5 different packs organized?
    They are for me and my wife. I have two sleds that we each pull that also fit in the back side by side in my ATV. Thay have everything for 4 season camping and survival in Alaska but are made into kits and at minimum are a six pound kit. Then I have my normal use camping gear that stays packed and contains all the gear the two of us need and then I have a pack board that carries the food, clothing or whatever else we need for trip. The camping gear pack weighs in a 20 pounds and which ever pack is lightest my wife carries. Then the last one is a fanny pack I use for hiking that is attached to either the pack or pack board depending on how we distribute the weight between us. My camping gear is for recreation and fair weather camping. My survival gear is kept separate at the ready but I still keep camping gear at ready to make trips at a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    They are for me and my wife. I have two sleds that we each pull that also fit in the back side by side in my ATV. Thay have everything for 4 season camping and survival in Alaska but are made into kits and at minimum are a six pound kit.
    AS do you have a 4-season tent and if so, what kind/make?

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    AS do you have a 4-season tent and if so, what kind/make?
    I have a 10 man arctic army tent that weighs 80 pounds and is towed with my snowmachine on a sled but that is my next level of survival. I can live in that. I my survival kit mentioned I use bivy bags in winter and tarps in summer. My evacuation route is across glaciers which creat their own environment, the wind always blows. Tents flaping keep me awake and the are harder to set up in the cold. I can just throw my bivy out and climb in. It is rubberized so if I dig an Ice cave it will stay dry. I do heat the caves and try to keep temps about 20 degrees but it sometimes gets warmer to melt. The neat thing about this bivy is the bag fits inside itself and when it's unrolled I can keep my outer clothing in it dry and use as pillow. Arctic survival is whole nother subject that probably most here aren't interested in.

Actually, I find it quite interesting. We should never get our mind set to one environment when there are so many different ones we could find ourselves in. Besides, what's done in one environment can be used directly or modified a bit and used in another. Post on!!

How does that thing breathe with it being rubberized? Do you have a problem with moisture buildup on the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Actually, I find it quite interesting. We should never get our mind set to one environment when there are so many different ones we could find ourselves in. Besides, what's done in one environment can be used directly or modified a bit and used in another. Post on!!

How does that thing breathe with it being rubberized? Do you have a problem with moisture buildup on the inside?
    It can be a problem. You should not put head inside bag because breathing in it will add to moisture. That's the most common mistake people make. I also sleep with a layer of comfortable clothing that seems to absorb most of my bodies moisture instead of bag but when ever the weather allows it I air out my bag whether it needs it or not. I hate climbing out of a warm bag into frozen clothes so I sleep in my inside layer and even my boot liners and when I put on my outer shell in the morning it quickly warms up.

PS I am starting to use more gortex stuff and it is probably a lot better I just have a little trouble keeping up with the times.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 04-08-2010 at 09:40 PM.

That is the most serious bivy I have ever seen! I might have missed it, but what is the weight and who is the manufacturer? That looks like a man could live in it indefinitely! (Airing it out regularly, of course!) Thanks for the pictures and information.

Quote Originally Posted by TomChemEngineer View Post
    That is the most serious bivy I have ever seen! I might have missed it, but what is the weight and who is the manufacturer? That looks like a man could live in it indefinitely! (Airing it out regularly, of course!) Thanks for the pictures and information.
    I got it from a army surplus store and told it was Dutch army issue. For weight I can tell you the bag, bivy and air matress together wejgh 10 pounds and the sleeping bag weighs 6 of it. The air matress is light weight so my guess would be the bivy weighs between 2 1/2 to 3 pounds.

Picked up some cans of dried veggies.