Page 80 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 1860

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

Hunter, gotcha.

1stimer, cool, I think I have 3 of those 5 gallon showers and a one gallon one for backpacking, they have been handy in years past for a warm cleanse of camp funk.

Well I got my Jeep running, (Electrical issue). I picked up 3 more five gallon water containers for water storage. bought more ammo.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Prepping as a state = good.

Remote Alaska to stockpile food, just in case

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — Alaska is known for pioneering, self-reliant residents who are accustomed to remote locations and harsh weather. Despite that, Gov. Sean Parnell worries a major earthquake or volcanic eruption could leave the state's 720,000 residents stranded and cut off from food and supply lines. His answer: Build giant warehouses full of emergency food and supplies, just in case.

For some in the lower 48, it may seem like an extreme step. But Parnell says this is just Alaska.

In many ways, the state is no different than the rest of America. Most people buy their groceries at stores, and rely on a central grid for power and heat. But, unlike the rest of the lower 48, help isn't a few miles away. When a fall storm cut off Nome from its final fuel supply last winter, a Russian tanker spent weeks breaking through thick ice to reach the remote town.

Weather isn't the only thing that can wreak havoc in Alaska, where small planes are a preferred mode of transportation and the drive from Seattle to Juneau requires a ferry ride and 38 hours in a car. The state's worst natural disaster was in 1964, when a magnitude-9.2 earthquake and resulting tsunami killed 131 people and disrupted electrical systems, water mains and communication lines in Anchorage and other cities.

"We have a different motivation to do this, because help is a long ways away," said John Madden, Alaska's emergency management director.

The state plans two food stockpiles in or near Fairbanks and Anchorage, two cities that also have military bases. Construction on the two storage facilities will begin this fall, and the first food deliveries are targeted for December. The goal is to have enough food to feed 40,000 people for up to a week, including three days of ready-to-eat meals and four days of bulk food that can be prepared and cooked for large groups. To put that number into perspective, Alaska's largest city, Anchorage, has about 295,000 people, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, and Juneau, its third largest, about 31,000.

Read the rest of the story here:

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-...d-just-in-case
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I started up both generators and let them run for a few minutes, filled up a bunch of gas cans along with 5 gallons of kerosene.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I started up both generators and let them run for a few minutes, filled up a bunch of gas cans along with 5 gallons of kerosene.
    While starting them ensures that the engine runs - plug something in to them to make sure the generator part is still working.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, and make sure it not surging with volt meter.

Started the small 2.5k gen set in shed last week, old gas, started up but would only run on have choke, light plugged in bright /dim, bright/dim.....
    Drain it out (did have Stable in it)....freash gas and ran just fine.....
    Left it run for 1/2 hour.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    While starting them ensures that the engine runs - plug something in to them to make sure the generator part is still working.
    I have a generator receptacle on my pole barn that back feeds into the house and barn electrical system, so I just open the main breaker in the pole barn panel, and let the generator run the pole barn lights and whatever else is on at the time. So I did do a load test as well.
    My pole barn is super insulated and heated, so even in the winter, it never gets below 45 degrees. This keeps the gas in my generators and motorcycle from the moisture and temperature changes that happens in a noninsulated building, so gasoline with stanilizer lasts a very long time in there.
    Last edited by Wildthang; 09-02-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Well, I wrapped a few more things with orange duct tape. I dropped by the local CAP ranch st sqore and found a deal on an orange beenie and vest (the old ones were pretty old). I finished the set up on what I think will be my new primary knife).
    Oh, I stopped by thr trading post and bought some snakeshot for my new 22LR Mare's Leg...I was meaning to do it, but it kept skipping my mind.
    I have been having a running argument with a really old buddy of mine about my basic first aid kit...its a long story...I've got some more advanced stuff coming
    (Amazon), cause if I don't, he's not going to shut his mouth.
    God bless him...
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Bulk up that 1st aid kit!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Canned and canned and canned this past weekend. Tomatoes, jam and apple sauce. Still need to do beets and some other veggies. I also bought a 22lr pistol hopefully will shoot this coming weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    for what ever lies ahead, i want this thread to get thousands of posts and veiws i would like everyone every week to say what they have done no matter how big or small, did you store one more bag of beans or did you purchase the 30,000 dollar wind and solar package or like me i started at a new church this week first time in a long time and i am not religous and this is a non denominational church but it is full of folks who are farmers and such so for me it is about networking and bartering with my plumbing and heating background i can possibly trade offf some of these skills for a calf or someting like that
    so what did you do this week to prepare?
    Newbie novice,I've joined the forum and started reading up on all the great ideas here so I can get started. Wow so much to learn. Appreciate any pointers. What should i focus on first

I dusted off my pressure cooker to cook some rice in a hurry for my daughter who is sick only to have my presto pressure interlock assembly gasket break when I went to put it all together. So everyone get out your pressure cookers if you haven't used them for a while and check your rubber! And buy extra so you won't be stuck in the middle of a bad situation frustrated that your gaskets won't seal because they have dried out!

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com...interlocks.htm

Good advice. I know that several members use the All American Pressure Cooker/Canner that does not use a gasket.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

did a last minute 2 night camp out with my son this weekend, BOB's with a few extra groceries. had fun and did fine, he didnt know it wasnt just a last minute camping trip 101_3255 (Medium).JPG

Default Finally...

In a couple of weeks Mr. B and I will be taking a six hour "Boots On The Ground" course on Basic Wilderness Survival. (gotta start somewhere)

Here's a description of what we're supposed to learn:

SHELTER - A debris hut, works in 90% of the wilderness and is 90% effective in most weather. Learn how to build it. Just one of the many survival shelters.
    WATER - Simply - location and purification
    FIRE - ‘Fire-by-friction’ is truly a great skill to have. Fire keeps us warm, cooks our food, guides us through the dark and keeps us company.
    FOOD - Learn some of the resources out in the wilds, whether it be plant or animal.
    PLANTS/TREES - WE will discuss some of the medicinal and utilitarian uses of the plant life around us.
    PRIMITIVE SKILLS - These are the skills one must learn while in the bush. Example - cordage, proper knife techniques, baskets, traps, etc...
    TRACKING - Patterns, sign tracking, and the science of ‘pressure releases’.
    AWARENESS - Nature observation, meditation, concentric rings of communication.
    MOVEMENT - Learn to be stealth. Stalking, Fox Walk, Weasel Walk, and more!

So excited!!!

That is pretty cool, I guess I wondered about stuff like this in the cities........Good on you.

How did you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    That is pretty cool, I guess I wondered about stuff like this in the cities........Good on you.

How did you find it?
    Didn't even know this school existed until one of those Groupon deals showed up on my radar.
    They have enough stuff to keep me busy for a long time. At least now I don't have to fly to South Dakota to practice.

I hear ya......Very cool, should be fun.

I watch the paper, seems a lot of outdoor programs at the local museum, library and wildlife areas......mostly for kids, but take how I good hooked up with the archaeological society.

Checked out the Groupon deal....giving it a try....Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    In a couple of weeks Mr. B and I will be taking a six hour "Boots On The Ground" course on Basic Wilderness Survival. (gotta start somewhere)

Here's a description of what we're supposed to learn:

SHELTER - A debris hut, works in 90% of the wilderness and is 90% effective in most weather. Learn how to build it. Just one of the many survival shelters.
    WATER - Simply - location and purification
    FIRE - ‘Fire-by-friction’ is truly a great skill to have. Fire keeps us warm, cooks our food, guides us through the dark and keeps us company.
    FOOD - Learn some of the resources out in the wilds, whether it be plant or animal.
    PLANTS/TREES - WE will discuss some of the medicinal and utilitarian uses of the plant life around us.
    PRIMITIVE SKILLS - These are the skills one must learn while in the bush. Example - cordage, proper knife techniques, baskets, traps, etc...
    TRACKING - Patterns, sign tracking, and the science of ‘pressure releases’.
    AWARENESS - Nature observation, meditation, concentric rings of communication.
    MOVEMENT - Learn to be stealth. Stalking, Fox Walk, Weasel Walk, and more!

So excited!!!
    Oh my God, now Nessie will be able to sneak up on us But seriously, good for you girl!