Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

Default what did you do this week to prepare

for what ever lies ahead, i want this thread to get thousands of posts and veiws i would like everyone every week to say what they have done no matter how big or small, did you store one more bag of beans or did you purchase the 30,000 dollar wind and solar package or like me i started at a new church this week first time in a long time and i am not religous and this is a non denominational church but it is full of folks who are farmers and such so for me it is about networking and bartering with my plumbing and heating background i can possibly trade offf some of these skills for a calf or someting like that
    so what did you do this week to prepare?
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Banned
    Blog Entries

As a price hedge, I bought another 700 pounds of Dog Food. Sam's Club price for Atta Boy 60# bag went from $10.98 to $26.85 in three months. This week I also started giving animals 15 minutes to eat twice a day; then retrieve their buckets or bowls of uneaten food, and put them in the feed barn. It seems as soon as they stop eating and move away, in comes the magpies, jays and ravens. They are welcome to the spillage, but with grain up 55% the free food program is suspended......... Bought a 5 KW diesel generator, 3 cyl. Luger engine.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 11-09-2008 at 09:29 AM.

that was a benefit of mrs eagle working at a vet clinic food 50% off so we stocked up a years worth next spring we will have to figure out another avenue

Default what did you do this week to prepare

Tis only me...The Lurker...I seldom post but feel I know all you folks, and read most every single post and have learned soooo much. Anyway, this past week, I bought me a 22 Comanche pistol, well I ordered it anyway. I hate small guns but feel I best buy one now or possibly do without. I have a question about storing that much dog food, I make my Aussi's dog food from venison (free) and green beans (free) and brown rice or macaroni but I do have a 50 pound bag stowed with the goat & chicken feed. It is the type that has molasses and I left it in the original bag. All the feed & corn is stacked on pallets in my laundry room so is dry and varmint proof. Having explained that to death (I tend to do that - sorry), should I put the dog food in a plastic bucket and seal it like wheat berries? I would rather not use my buckets up as I need to get more wheat.

well there is an expiration date on the bag usually one year then you start loosing nutritional value so i would use the bag when possible maybe small amoutns to supplement the regular food, like with my horses i use beet pulp to help as a filler it is about 7 dollars a bag vs the 24 dollars a bag for the oats so i feed both but can cut my oats in half this way, the natural diet for dogs is always the best, i like to feed chicken and rice or goat and rice with carrots or green beans

If it has molasses in it,you should use it up by the use by date on it if you are not storing it another way,we do not sell feed with molasses in it at our farm supply store after the sell by date,because the molasses tends to grow mold.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

This week I canned about 16 pints of pears, and 8 pints of pear butter. I still have about a bushel of apples to do something with. I might try to dry them next week. My hard apple cider is done fermenting (spec grav 1.00) and I will bottle that this week as soon as I get some more bottles. One of the local stores had a great sale on boneless pork ribs, so I stocked up on those and vaccum sealed them and stuck them in the freezer.

we- I think this thread is a great idea!
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

tacmedic,have you ever tried to make pear jelly?? This year was a first for me on that one,and it was much more time consuming than any other jelly I have ever made.

I did it for a guy who has some pear trees and wanted to try it,but his wife is not the type to put stuff away,so he asked if i would try.

I looked long and hard online to find a recipe for it and finally found one that even attempted it using an apple jelly recipe,the one thing it was correct about was it is a much longer cooking time to get it to the gel stage than just about any other fruit.

This week I picked up another trailer of corn from the farmers field to have ground for feed,will now have about 5 months of feed for the critters. bought 100# pigs last week to feed out for the freezer.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Added more .22 ammo, hurricane lamp. more lamp oil, stored some food. Also bought a 6.5 qt. cast iron pot, already made a batch of backed beans in it
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

What did I do to prepare? Hmmm? Started a fight with the zoning bureaucrats to keep my business going. Got away for a little camping to help clear my mind. Yep, that’s what I did.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We have been cutting firewood, and last night me and my son made some char cloth. Also last night we practiced with some nest tinder I found in the hollow of one of the tree's we cut up.
    It's a shame wareagle we don't live close as we usually give our spare jersey bull calves away as their not worth the gas money to get them to auction most times.
    LinyLu, let me know what you think of the Comanche. I almost bought one in .357 but got a Ruger SP101 3" instead.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

Ahhh,too bad you are in Penn. Woodland,as jerseys here have been particularly sought after at the auctions.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

How it was explained to me was at the feedlots they don't have a fast enough weight gain as compared to the beef breeds or even holsteins, but if you have pasture and time they fill out fine. But the breed does well in grazing type milk production.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

nell- I have never tried to make pear jelly. This is the first time I have attempted pear butter. It took about twice as long to cook down as apples and I wound up with half as much. I think pears just have so much more water content than other "hard" fruits do that they have to be cooked a lot longer. I still have some more pears to work with, I am thinking about trying to dry them. Has anyone ever tried this?
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

Finished putting up this and next winters wood, in the process of building a workshop and I am stocking it with mostly hand tools, and picked up couple of extra cans of food when grocery shopping.

ohh nice thread!

I've been quite lucky this week as I've just finished a contract so had some spare pocket money. I splashed out on some replacement kit and ordered a nice cross bow (packing a whopping 180lb should do the trick with the broad tipped bolt heads I ordered too!) as in the UK it's pretty hard to get any firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by remy View Post
    -fired about 1000 rounds at the range on friday...with different tools, ammo, and different drills (weak hand, using flash lights, double taps...)
    -bought ammo, mags, and some more ammo.
    -bought a box of N95 respirators (why not).
    -bought more batteries...AA, AAA.

That's about it for this weak.
    it's a pity the UK has such strict gun laws, it's not as though it's actually stopping gun related crimes etc but enough of that crap, It's been a good couple of years since I last fired a weapon. We used to do hours of actions on drills. Hard work but it was defo worth it.

I stick with the S-10 and MK4 NBC gear, it cant do any harm keeping them handy. I've a few spare filters but it may be a good idea to get some disposable masks.

Blog Entries

Did not really do much.

Oh, yeh, I did pick up 150 22WMR rounds for the new revolver.

Did an inventory on shotgun shells, yeh, I have enough for a few rabbits, deer, hogs, and ducks. Throw in a turkey or two.

That's about it.

[quote=tacmedic;80979]nell- I have never tried to make pear jelly. This is the first time I have attempted pear butter. It took about twice as long to cook down as apples and I wound up with half as much. I think pears just have so much more water content than other "hard" fruits do that they have to be cooked a lot longer. I still have some more pears to work with, I am thinking about trying to dry them. Has anyone ever tried this?[/quote

Never tried to dry them,have you tried pear honey? it is very good,recipes are easy to find online,my daughter in laws mother made some this year and gave me a few jars,yummy!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Oh yeh, traded a box of rocks aka flint, chert, butter, etc for a pair of running shoes.

Gonna start running and get in shape to run in the Ranger run. Gonna do it this year.