Page 87 of 93 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 1860

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Cleaning brass begins....

Ghilli kit....

So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Blog Entries

Cleaning brass. *groan*
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Cement mixer....stainless steel media....dawn liquid soap.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    Cement mixer....stainless steel media....dawn liquid soap.
    You don't fool around......Get-er done....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A few years back I did a pipe job on a island. Needless to say there was no storage and all the pipe fittings were left out in the weather. The leftover fittings got tarnished, to tarnished to sell as new. I thought about a cement mixer to clean them up a bit. I might try it.

that would be a loud tumbler

Back in a previous life, we had those big media viberators to polish SS fittings.......worked good.
    Have a smaller one now, but only use it if they are really dark......usually just washing out with dawn and water, let them dry and start in with the case check, case length etc.

My wife's get home bag was stolen from her car at work. I went and got her a 25L pack with a belly strap, a survival blanket a compass, ( It took a while, but taught her to read one, maps are next). I made a stop at the dollar store, and got her matches, hand cleaner, body powder, basic bar soap, a brush, a tooth brush, and toothpaste then dirty rice, dehydrated noodles, tuna salad, and about 4 separate trail mixes as well as cashews, sunflower kernels, and a couple of Mountain house dehydrated meals. I also included an extra Gerber multi tool, and rigged an area for her bow which is a breakdown 25Lbs, a thermal blanket, and (2) large trash bags, a small Flashlight, and a 10 pack of AAA batteries, an old soup can, 50 foot of 550, a water bottle, and water filter straw.
    She knows if something happens, that I will find her if I am still alive. She should be able to survive for a few days on that. Anything else? She is not very big, and I tried to keep the pack under 20 lbs. I will add a fishing kit, and a cheap emergency tent.

Dollar stores have 4 pack of Bic type lighters for a buck......didn't see fire making gear.
    Good knife......
    Otherwise good kit.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Dollar stores have 4 pack of Bic type lighters for a buck......didn't see fire making gear.
    Good knife......
    Otherwise good kit.
    Thanks Hunter. I added the lighters, and a 8 pack box of wood matches. I always figured that if you have only one way to start a fire, you may be in trouble. I also put a magnesium fire starter block with a flint, and a blade attached in there.

This week I have started to learn how to use my catapult. I seem to remember being a lot better as a child. But getting better day by day. Hopefully next week I will actually hit the barn wall This may not be I giant step for your kind , but it is for me

My preps are pretty much done but I did pick up some additional road flares today. In the words of a famous naturalist and pyromaniac. Road Flares...when you really really need to start a fire.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I read through many (not all!) of the pages in this long thread. It's interesting to see how many things we used to be able to get are no longer available--like bricks of 22LR--and how the prices have changed in the 5 years since its first post.

I added a multitool and some energy bars/crackers to our belly pack emergency kits. Continued to dehydrate and vacuum bag foods. The food bank gave away bags of carrots. The ugly, lumpy and mal-shaped ones. They slice and dehydrate just fine.

Harvested a bunch of goldenrod (the tops turned brown after the 1st freeze last Wed) so we just took the leaves. Good for coughs and colds when made into tea.

Began the process of testing and figuring out which of the old theatre walkies still work. Some were put away with batteries in them. Never do that. Alkalines go awful in the battery box. Never, never do that.

Plan to get a solar/hand crank radio/battery charger when the money comes in next month, plus a batch of rechargeable batteries. It's not a permanent fix for communication, but it might get us a year or so down the road if the whole thing breaks...and it looks more and more like it will. More likely sooner than later.

Found a good church that's just a simple, Bible preaching environment. Won't be able to make it there after the Fall, but until then, it's good for us.
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    (Often the truth is harsh.)

As for kitchen matches, have you guys heard that they're not making them any longer?

It's only because they're long enough already
    Last edited by M.Demetrius; 11-20-2013 at 08:58 AM.
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    (Often the truth is harsh.)

Default Long overdue...

Took a CPR class w/Mr. B this afternoon. Passed the test (100%), a certificate will be mailed. Even got a little prize for the effort--Keychain CPR mouth barrier kit.
    Ordered 6 ADC ADSAFE Pocket Rescusitators from Amazon for office and various bags.

Next on the list is First Aid.
    And down the road, CERT.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Took a CPR class w/Mr. B this afternoon. Passed the test (100%), a certificate will be mailed. Even got a little prize for the effort--Keychain CPR mouth barrier kit.
    Ordered 6 ADC ADSAFE Pocket Rescusitators from Amazon for office and various bags.

Next on the list is First Aid.
    And down the road, CERT.
    Congrats......always a great idea.......
    I really need to get recertified, been about 3 years....used to do both first aid and CPR every year.

Good for you. You never know when a loved one might be the recipient of your training. Congrats on completing the course to both of you!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well done B.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here's what surprised me. It's not as simple as I thought. It can also be quite physical doing compressions and making sure you're doing them right. As far as those AEDs go, we had 3 different models and we rotated using them all. Very helpful in finding which features make sense to you. One of those babies is on my Santa list in not too distant future.

Started getting involved with Oathkeepers www.oathkeepers.org
    Specifically wanting to get involved with starting a Civilization Preservation Team http://oathkeepers.org/oath/2013/10/...rvation-teams/ in my county. I think that all in all this is one of the best options we have. If all this SHTF stuff happens there is no one who will be safe or able to survive on their own. If communities are trained and prepared at least there is a chance of defending ourselves from whatever lurks.