Page 67 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1860

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

Oh, SD will force himself to eat it no matter what.
    You see, our rules of grossness don't apply to him.

Oh yeah. Drivin' the porcelain bus. Been there, done that, stopped drinkin'.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Bought 50 pieces of NIKE Hunting Top 12-70-16, 3,75mm ball, 42g, shotgun shells and 500 pieces Remington Thunderbolt .22 rounds... Checked and test fired both the 2 barrel 12/70 Valmet shotgun and TOZ-8 .22 rifle. Going hunting in two weeks.
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Did some pre-winter gardening in my survival garden. Fertilized for the last time to give my plants a boost before it gets really cold. Used Protogrow--the stuff is amazing. Also put a light layer of mulch on top of everything and pruned what I could.

Just got the wifes Kifaru Navigator in and am setting it up for her.
    I know what hunts you.

I picked up a Mosin Nagant with accessories for 109 bucks. A Case of 440 rounds for another 120 dollars. Thats cheaper than ammo alone usually costs me. I've been getting rid of my guns just because my eyesight is getting worse. I see good enough for most stuff but hardly good enough to sit on a big investment in weapons. A simple reliable basic weapon makes more sense to me at this stage of my life.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

AS, be VERY careful, those things get real addicting, especially at $79.99 (Dunhams).
    (What year?)
    Still cool to pick up a "BIC" high powered rifle.......with cheap ammos (still) makes a good deployment back up. (stash them everywhere).
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Checked over DW's car, (thanks again for the reminder, Rick), BOB and emergency, gear.
    Found it need brakes, rotors, etc........Getting fixed now.

Garden is put to bed, checking gear for the rest of hunting seasons, cruise the neighborhood, for straw bales (decorations for Halloween, tossed), to mulch the balance of garden.
    Actually, after Thanksgiving, is better, most people do double duty these days.

Quote Originally Posted by AS
    I picked up a Mosin Nagant
    It's so sad to see someone else become an addict. Next it will be LER scopes. Then Absorbine Jr., for that broken shoulder, then butt pads to soften the recoil. The cheap price is just to lure you in.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm going the other direction. I'm getting rid of guns. This will replace two that I will be selling for a lot more money. I don't have any real plan for the money I'm putting into savings account but I like not being broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I'm going the other direction. I'm getting rid of guns. This will replace two that I will be selling for a lot more money. I don't have any real plan for the money I'm putting into savings account but I like not being broke.
    Yeah, sure, that's the ticket.....right,... anyway the M38's are shorter.......

"I can quite any time I want." As I said, so sad.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

AK you are going to love that MN! Simple, tough and accurate. Also made for the Russian winters like you and SD have up there.

If you decide to put a scope on it do it like Rick and I did. No mods to the gun necessary. I have just found that the rear sight is dovetailed on. The dovetail is the same size as .22 scope groves. That means you can mount a LER scope for just the price of the scope and rings, no mount required.

I need to get another spam can of the Russian stuff.

I have been cleaning out the shop and rearranging the storage room. Actually getting the reloaded ammo out of plastic buckets and into the ammo safe. Also rearranging the food preps after the last shopping trip.

I am getting worried about the floor in that room. Gun safe, ammo safe and food preps all in an 8x12 area. I put double joists and double sub floor in that room but I am still worried.

I did find my stash of 1911 magazines, but not soon enough to outrun the two 10 round mags I ordered this weekend. I wanted to try the 10 round ones anyhoo. I also ordered a stash of full moon clips for my .45 wheelgun.

Now if I can just find that 12x scope...
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-01-2010 at 05:24 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Finished signing the paperwork on the "retreat" property we have been trying to buy. As soon as it is filed well be the proud owners ( well us and the bank anyway) of 70 acres about an hour and a half from here.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Woo Hoo - Next Jamboree at Oldsoldiers!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Finished signing the paperwork on the "retreat" property we have been trying to buy. As soon as it is filed well be the proud owners ( well us and the bank anyway) of 70 acres about an hour and a half from here.
    Good for you! Nothing like owning a little room to get up and stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Good for you! Nothing like owning a little room to get up and stretch.
    Congrats, now you get to experiance the "two of everything", or what ever you need is in the "Other place", or I forgot my (insert whatever here) and the hardware stores close at 5 PM and are closed Sundays............
    Love it!

Congrats!!! Pics of the place or it didn't happen!

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    That is some serious preparation!

Blog Entries

Yup we need pics OS! And congrats.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.