Page 91 of 93 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 1860

Thread: what did you do this week to prepare

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You're still a bit light on ammo Wildthing. 22 does not count in the real ammo inventory. Real ammo has the primer in the middle and is louder than a ladyfinger firecracker, and has more effect, when it goes off.

I had to think on this one for a spell.

I have been at this since the1960s, what is left to do?

I ate some food. Now I can replace it with food that is not at its use by date.

If I were really being fancy I could say I had rotated the canned food stores and engaged in some sort of inventory control, tracked it on a spread sheet and reordered supplies.

yea, that's what I did, INVENTORY CONTROL!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

- Cut some firewood to prepare for fall and winter.
    - Refilled both my propane tanks
    - Checked up on all of my storm shutters

Prepped and stored 5 more gallons of water. Picked up a couple of lifestraw type filters and some water purification tabs (40).
    Ohio Rusty

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Drank some beer while watching some skinny dipping hahaha. That's a skill right?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

What...the beer drinking or the skinny dipping?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Drank some beer while watching some skinny dipping hahaha. That's a skill right?
    Sure!

You are bonding with a support group and extending your circle of experienced and talented fellow survivors who are practicing off grid hygiene.

As for me, I got the 4WD unit back in operational condition.

Mowed the lawn, thereby creating a fire break in case of wildfire.

And I have thought a lot. Not about anything in particular, but it keeps me in practice in case I ever have to think about something important.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

This week I organized my home first aid supplies after tearing them apart to make kits for two 72 hour survival bags. I'm also focusing on good prepping habits little by little. Filled my more than 1/2 full gas tank ("Keep you gas above 1/2 tank in case you need to drive a distance to get out of a disaster area), and I'm trying to remember to re-fill one of the water bottles I use at work during the day, on my way home, so I have a fresh bottle in case of emergency.

Good advice.....even a power outage or phone lines down will shut down gas stations...even cash if the till or register doesn't work

Vehicles are always kept as close to full as practical........
    Our "Place" (on avatar).......BOL, vacation cabin, retirement home, homestead, place in the country.....called what ever is fashion today...is 4 hours away, or a little more than 1/2 tank of fuel in any of the vehicles.

Small Igloo 6 pack cooler with 6 bottles of water in each vehicle ....used to take them out in the winter....don't any more, as they will freeze but haven't broken.....
    Do use them in trips for use and the dogs....so are changed out regular.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Good advice.....even a power outage or phone lines down will shut down gas stations...even cash if the till or register doesn't work

Vehicles are always kept as close to full as practical........
    Our "Place" (on avatar).......BOL, vacation cabin, retirement home, homestead, place in the country.....called what ever is fashion today...is 4 hours away, or a little more than 1/2 tank of fuel in any of the vehicles.

Small Igloo 6 pack cooler with 6 bottles of water in each vehicle ....used to take them out in the winter....don't any more, as they will freeze but haven't broken.....
    Do use them in trips for use and the dogs....so are changed out regular.
    Hmm.. bottles of water in the car..my concern is always that heat, like we are expecting in NJ in the next few days... the cooler idea... that's some good food for thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Who names these blasted storms? I'm sorry but "Colin" does not instill fear. It's no wonder folks don't evacuate.

"This is Rainy Weathers with the Weather Channel. Tropical storm FooFoo...."

Seriously, if they want folks to be concerned and make preparations they should name them something like Killer, Mauler or even Kick Your Butt in a Heartbeat. But Colin?
    In the middle of Trump's very serious RNC speech, and I start cracking up laughing... storm FooFoo.. LOLOLO!!!!

I bottled water in a vehicle is a concern....these are made to be stored.....

http://beprepared.com/datrex-water-p...GwYxoCZXTw_wcB

Cooler is more for containment than insulation...... started using it for winter, incase the bottles (cheap) froze and broke...would still be contained.
    Warm of hot water doesn't taste all that good,.... but is wet and will keep you from going thirsty...

Yeah I have seen all the BS about doing this....I have a SIL that quotes articles daily on all this stuff.....
    I will take my chances rather than die of thirst.....It's not like I gonna drink it everyday.

http://www.attn.com/stories/2875/bot...r-hot-car-safe

I store quite a bit of water and drink a lot. There is always a good supply of bottled water in each vehicle and have never had issues with it because of heat.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Probably never had issues with it because of freezing either.

Any soft sided water bottle can be used to store water in a vehicle in the winter. Fill the bottle half full, squeeze out the air and cap. The extra space will allow the water to freeze and expand without damage to the bottle. I use a 2 quart military canteen in this manner and that gives me a quart of water in winter. Of course, it will be frozen so you have to deal with that. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem......yet.

Probably never had issues with it because of freezing either.

Any soft sided water bottle can be used to store water in a vehicle in the winter. Fill the bottle half full, squeeze out the air and cap. The extra space will allow the water to freeze and expand without damage to the bottle. I use a 2 quart military canteen in this manner and that gives me a quart of water in winter. Of course, it will be frozen so you have to deal with that. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem......yet.
    Being lazy...never did anything special to those cheapo water bottles.........and they do freeze hard enough to pound nail with them.
    I would never have thought that they would hold up......thinking they are just thin and flexible enough to not break.

What brand are they. Do you know?

I freeze water bottles for my cooler that I keep in my truck. They are re-frozen every day and ready for the next. I use the Walmart brand 20 oz bottles. Never had an issue with rupturing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What brand are they. Do you know?
    Depend what's on sale.....some times they have a like a 36 pack for $4 bucks.......
    Mostly store brand.....have found 24 packs for $1.99 from Menards.

I have my gym bag in the truck has just shoes and a PSK in it.....
    Carry a heavier Aquafina bottle in it along with a cheaper bottle...then refill it from the cheaper bottles .....or even the ice maker water tap on the refrigerator.

Canned 25 pounds of cherries today. Plus put another 10 pounds in the dehydrator. Also made up 4 batches of dry laundry soap.

Well not this week but over the past few months....

* Made a plate carrier that accepts 10x12 hard plates and my soft armor with hydration bladder holder
    * Made a slip-on [a duty belt], padded MOLLE battle belt
    * Made a dump pouch
    * Made an IFAK for that battle belt
    * Bought one more Israeli bandage, 4x5 trauma pads, packing gauze and Celox [for the battle belt IFAK]
    * Made a magazine shoulder bag [reminds you of a compartmentalized haversack] that accepts AR and AK mags.
    * Made a padded, zipper EDC pouch
    * Purchased about 2K rounds of various ammo
    * Added 3 more months worth of dry goods to my stockpile [beans, rice, Ramen noodles and misc. seasonings]
    * Replaced all the incandescent/gas bulbs in my tactical lights that accept CREE T-6 LED lamps [SureFire G2 and 6P/9P lights]. LED modules are all over 600 Lumens.
    * Purchased additional rechargeable CR123/1200 mAh batteries [and an additional charger]
    * Replaced the furniture on my Romanian and painted it a textured camo
    * Bought an M-Tech clone of the Cold Steel Trail Master Bowie [Model MT-151, that'll be here Friday]. Well over a dozen positive "use/abuse" videos on YT [and 2 negative] reviewing the blade caused me to want to try it out. $19 on Amazon+free s/h, won't break the bank if it fails.
    * Bought 2 sheets of 12x12 Kydex to make 2 knife sheaths and a handgun holster for the Battle Belt [arriving Friday]. Going to transfer my KA*BAR to my battle belt and the M-Tech will replace the KA*BAR...both of which will need Kydex sheaths.

Aside from all ^that^, my youngest daughter was accepted to her #1 college pick [which is local] and so - depending on grants, FAFSA and scholarships obtained...depends on what of my income tax return I'll be able to 'play' with. If all bodes well with financial aid, I plan on building another AR upper to mate with my DMR build - a parkerized, midlength gas/lightweight 16" barrel, 1:8 twist in .223 Wylde - and one of those mini-micro red dot optics everyone keeps raving about. I'll also replace my 3-9X DMR scope with a 5-24X and transfer the 3-9X to my AK and move the AK's red dot to the SKS [which has no optics at all].

.....I'm going to need more ammo.........LOL.
    Last edited by druid; 12-26-2016 at 10:04 PM.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    .....I'm going to need more ammo.........LOL.
    LOL....Yeah, no ship....
    Been a busy guy.