View Poll Results: Would you leave it all behind?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

20 46.51%
  • No!

23 53.49%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you?

Blog Entries

Default Would you?

If it were offered to you right now. Would you leave it all behind and move totally off grid.

No running water
    No electricity
    No indoor toilet
    No gas appliances
    No INTERNET
    No cell phones
    No washer and drier

You would have to give up every modern convenience. Totally provide everything you and your family would need to live and thrive by hand.

You don't need to leave a comment just answer the poll truthfully. Yes or No!
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I wouldn't. As I've said before, I enjoy the lifestyle that I'm living right now - if I didn't, I would change it. I applaud those that want to live off grid and do so. They are living the lifestyle they want. I ask those that would answer yes to the poll --- would you really? Think about it. That lifestyle is available to you right now, this very instant. It doesn't take money or fame, only the desire and committment. If that is truely how you would like to live, then do it. As I said, I applaud those that live the life the choose - whether it's off grid, in a remote location, or in a crowded city. It's their life. It's their choice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Uh, no. But thanks for asking.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I had to vote yes, as that is the truth. What is also true is I would do it someplace warmer, than here. Odd you stsrted that pole, because yesterday as I was chopping ice to get to water, then dipping ice cold water, then packing (6) five Gal. water jugs up and down the mountain, I was getting sure that this is the last winter for hauling ice water.

my answer would be yes also. i am almost there now althought i do have electricity my goal is to be solar in 5 years but that is probably away from your poll, it is a very hard life to do as you suggest, you must like your own company or really like your partner as well, i was just thinking of this topic this morning while splitting wood, how do people do it year after year i haul my timber by hand cut down the tree buck it into 8 ft sections and throw it on my shoulder to come back anywhere from200ft to a mile away in the winter i pull pull it on a homemade sled, most people like to think they can do it, my diffuculty is breaking away from the mortgage to pay for my place i could do w/o the television or phone but not the wife she is very close to her family the internet would be a welcome diversion and i have an outhouse ready for use here, but ifn i could i would
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

If free from all debts and future taxes. yup, I would love the chance. As long as I could totally be free, but I don't think that's being realistic. I don't think this is truly possible without first having the finical means to buy one's freedom.

Blog Entries

Oh he llllll........no.

First off, I have a wife and kids. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Now, after the kids are out of the house, just maybe. I almost had my wife talked into living in a tipi back in the late 90's. This was way before this survival craze nowdays. Almost had her...............believing in it....................almost had her talked into a Harley also, well untill she accompanied me to the hospital to unglue my eye. There she was exposed to first hand, via a real freak'n nosy nurse, a worse case scenerio of roadrash.

Blog Entries

It is a wonderful dream but I like where I live. One day I may have to move a bit further out. I have a nice little house on an acre of land and I have some real good neighbors. My daughter and grandkids live less then an hour away so I get to see them often. Even though I live in a neighborhood type area I still see moose in my yard, Black bear, fox, coyote and wolf walking down the street like someones pet. I can walk out on the porch in the winter and watch the northern lights.

Nope, I think I'll stay right here for now. Besides if I feel I need some wilderness time it only takes me a few minutes to get into it. I can't think of anything better then spending a few hours in the bush with my grandson then coming home and listening to him tell mom, dad and grandma all about his adventure. All in all I have a good life.

Blog Entries

My daughter, son-in-law and grandkids came over this afternoon. OMG!!! they are so loud. For the last two weeks its only been me and the wife. It was so peaceful.

Yeah, but sometimes loud distractions can be a welcome event.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool C'mon now!

If you're really going to go primitive, find a cave & wear a loin cloth. If you're going to the jungle swing from a vine and give the Tarzan yell. I vote no; why? We've all worked so hard to have the things that we have today. Doing it because you have no other choice is one thing, but doing it because you want to is something else. Even Les Stroud didn't stay "off the grid".
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Not enough info to answer. Like where would I be? do I get a clean stream that I can drink from, take baths in, and fish from? Is it a forest? how many other people are around? how cold and hot dose it get? Whats so great about that place? If I liked it enough then yes but I wouldnt giv it up just to live anywhere. leaving internet would suck the most and no toilet would come in next but other then that Id be good I think. I love reseaching and the internet is such a great tool I would have to know ov a place where Id have access to when I came out of the woods even if that was just once a year. In my city theres a couple places where you cen use the internet free.

Blog Entries

Owl girl, the where dosen't really matter to answer this question truthfully. It can be any where you want. The only thing that matters is "Would you do it?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yeah, but sometimes loud distractions can be a welcome event.
    It took me 2 hours to clean up after that loud distraction went home. Where's the fun in that?

Simply put.. Yes.

The phrase in a heartbeat comes to mind, definately a yes in my book. My father in law has a cabin such as this in Vi has offered us that lifestyle however my wife and child are spoiled and pampered city folks and I just cant talk her into it.
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

If I were still single with out a wife and kid yes I would. With them no way.

yes so long as I get out once in a while

voted yes,
    the girls & I are living like this part of the year.

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

Isn't it kind of silly to answer yes? unless you are in a hospital or something right now, there is nothing keeping you back. Its not like you need any special permission to live off the grid. If "you would", you would be doing it right now. All you need is some place to go, and there is plenty of forest left that has no one nearby for miles.

I wanna know what is keeping all of you who said yes from doing it right now. (Besides those of you who have mentioned family already).
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"