Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My gun of choice, sorta...

On the subject at hand has anyone considered a .410.
    I believe you guys can get semi auto versions. (Check out the Safirarms webpage).
    They'd be lightweight and effective with a variety of loads to suit from single ball shot to #9 ratshot/snakeshot.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Some call me a thug with a badge, and some say I am a Godsend, while still others call me a psychopath, a murderer and evil. Whatever I am… I am efficient.
    I work at night in the cold darkness of 3rd shift, when the predators of the city come out, I work from the shadows where no one can see, but I am no less powerful for this. They all know me, drug dealers, pimps and prostitutes, gangbangers and car jackers, thieves and muggers, purse snatchers and the average citizen, even the higher ups of the city and county, and especially the press.
    Alright most on here know I am a cop, a Deputy Sheriff to be exact, but in the end I'ma cop and if you didn't know that then you don't know me. So anyway I get a lot of questions like "This happened to me what do I do" or "this cop did this what can I do" and I give my advice from my 17+ years of experience.
    But here's the thing I run into and it sometimes tears me up on what I should do. People always think they know what a cop is and what his job is, and separating the facts from fiction can be pretty confusing.
    A Law Enforcement officer is a composite of what all men are a mingling of saint and sinner, devil and deity. Cold statistics turn out the lights on the good and brave deeds they do and shine beams of lights on instances of dishonesty and brutality because they are news. What that really means is they are exceptional, unusual, and not commonplace. Buried under the murk and froth is the fact that less than half of one half of one percent of policemen commit misconduct, and that's a better average than among clergymen. A policeman made up of several different men at once, he of all men is at once the most needed and most unwanted, a strangely nameless man who is "Sir" to his face and "Pig" to his back. He must be such a diplomat that he can settle differences between individuals, so that each will think he has won. But if he is neat, he's a flirt or womanizer. If he's sloppy, he's a grouch and dirt bag.
    In an instant he must make decisions, which require months for a lawyer and judge, but if he hurries he's careless, if he's deliberate he's lazy. He must be first to an accident, infallible with his diagnosis; he must be able to start breathing and stop bleeding, tie splints and above all be sure the victim goes home without a limp, or expect to be sued. The police officer must know every gun, draw on the run, and shoot where it doesn't hurt or kill. He must be able to whip two men twice his size and half his age, without damage to his uniform and without being brutal. If you hit him he's a coward, if he hits you he's a bully. A policeman must know everything and not tell; he must know where all sin is and not partake of it. The policeman must, from a single piece of evidence, be able to describe the crime, the weapon and the criminal, and tell you where the criminal is hiding, but if he catches the bad guy he got lucky, if he doesn't he's stupid. If he gets promoted he has political pull, if he doesn't he's a dunce or bad apple.
    The police officer must chase bad leads to a dead end and stake out ten nights in row to tag one criminal, sift through countless files and write reports until his eyes ache to build a case against a felon who will cut a deal with a shameless shyster or an honorable who isn't. A policeman must be a minister, social worker, a diplomat, a tough guy, a mechanic, a computer wiz, and a gentleman all in one, and of course he will have to be a genius, because he will have to feed a family on a pitiful policeman's salary.
    So I am glad you can get your ccw permit, for once let the bad guys fear who they are preying upon, let them know what its like to be frightened by having a gun shot at you or pointed in your face.
    Beo,
    Hey Beowulf,

You have put that better than I've ever heard it put before.
    I'm not anything to do with law enforcement and so I am glad there are people like you who actually want to make a difference.
    I'm too am sorry to hear you lost your partner.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there

Blog Entries

Some 410's are also cap. of firing the 45 long colt.

Live simple-Live free

Default Why a 22?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    beo,
    SIR on both sides of you Front and Back!!

nomad
    why a .22 as a survival rifle? Forgive my ignorance here as I'm new to firearms.
    I can see the .22 for the sake of carrying ammunition, because you can carry
    way more bullets for the weight, but what other reasons would be involved in
    that particular choice?
    The reasons for my choice of a 22 magnum is simple. Inexpensive ammo, low noise, compared to my shotgun. I don't like to make my presence known if at all possible. and it's deadly effective for what I hunt. Groundhogs, squirrell, coon's, rabbit, turkey, etc... Now if I lived out west I would have something in addition to my 22 for use as protection against bears, and big cats.
    I'm up for trading my scattergun for a 22 mag. any takers???

Banned
    Blog Entries

Count me solid in the .22 Magnum camp also, for a pure survival cartridge. The REMINGTON model 597 with 1X to 4X scope is one of my favorite winter (Big'Fuzzy Sleeps) walk'about firearms. I always wished they would make a rimfire .25 Mag. on the same length case.

Not very many cartridges that you can dump 50 rounds in each front pocket.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 11-03-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Some call me a thug with a badge, and some say I am a Godsend, while still others call me a psychopath, a murderer and evil. Whatever I am… I am efficient.
    I work at night in the cold darkness of 3rd shift, when the predators of the city come out, I work from the shadows where no one can see, but I am no less powerful for this. They all know me, drug dealers, pimps and prostitutes, gangbangers and car jackers, thieves and muggers, purse snatchers and the average citizen, even the higher ups of the city and county, and especially the press.
    Alright most on here know I am a cop, a Deputy Sheriff to be exact, but in the end I'ma cop and if you didn't know that then you don't know me. So anyway I get a lot of questions like "This happened to me what do I do" or "this cop did this what can I do" and I give my advice from my 17+ years of experience.
    But here's the thing I run into and it sometimes tears me up on what I should do. People always think they know what a cop is and what his job is, and separating the facts from fiction can be pretty confusing.
    A Law Enforcement officer is a composite of what all men are a mingling of saint and sinner, devil and deity. Cold statistics turn out the lights on the good and brave deeds they do and shine beams of lights on instances of dishonesty and brutality because they are news. What that really means is they are exceptional, unusual, and not commonplace. Buried under the murk and froth is the fact that less than half of one half of one percent of policemen commit misconduct, and that's a better average than among clergymen. A policeman made up of several different men at once, he of all men is at once the most needed and most unwanted, a strangely nameless man who is "Sir" to his face and "Pig" to his back. He must be such a diplomat that he can settle differences between individuals, so that each will think he has won. But if he is neat, he's a flirt or womanizer. If he's sloppy, he's a grouch and dirt bag.
    In an instant he must make decisions, which require months for a lawyer and judge, but if he hurries he's careless, if he's deliberate he's lazy. He must be first to an accident, infallible with his diagnosis; he must be able to start breathing and stop bleeding, tie splints and above all be sure the victim goes home without a limp, or expect to be sued. The police officer must know every gun, draw on the run, and shoot where it doesn't hurt or kill. He must be able to whip two men twice his size and half his age, without damage to his uniform and without being brutal. If you hit him he's a coward, if he hits you he's a bully. A policeman must know everything and not tell; he must know where all sin is and not partake of it. The policeman must, from a single piece of evidence, be able to describe the crime, the weapon and the criminal, and tell you where the criminal is hiding, but if he catches the bad guy he got lucky, if he doesn't he's stupid. If he gets promoted he has political pull, if he doesn't he's a dunce or bad apple.
    The police officer must chase bad leads to a dead end and stake out ten nights in row to tag one criminal, sift through countless files and write reports until his eyes ache to build a case against a felon who will cut a deal with a shameless shyster or an honorable who isn't. A policeman must be a minister, social worker, a diplomat, a tough guy, a mechanic, a computer wiz, and a gentleman all in one, and of course he will have to be a genius, because he will have to feed a family on a pitiful policeman's salary.
    So I am glad you can get your ccw permit, for once let the bad guys fear who they are preying upon, let them know what its like to be frightened by having a gun shot at you or pointed in your face.
    Beo,
    Beo, well said brother. I know you have several years on me on the job, but I've seen most of that already.
    I COULD NOT have said it any better. Thanks.
    Sorry to hear about the loss of another brother. You know where I am if there's anything I can do.
    Last edited by chiye tanka; 11-03-2008 at 04:49 PM.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Default 12 ga. & 45-70

I agree with the 12 ga. but don't rule out the 45-70. When I lived in New England, Marlin had just intro'd the 1895 Guide Gun. Kittery Trading Post (BIG outdoors store, the Holy Land) had a six month back order due to all the guides in the area wanting one. That says a lot to me.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chiye tanka View Post
    I agree with the 12 ga. but don't rule out the 45-70. When I lived in New England, Marlin had just intro'd the 1895 Guide Gun. Kittery Trading Post (BIG outdoors store, the Holy Land) had a six month back order due to all the guides in the area wanting one. That says a lot to me.
    Nothing wrong with the .12 Ga. nothing wrong with the 45/70.......BUT, here is a interesting experiment. Either on paper or in your memory keep track of what you see in the outdoors. like 175 robins to 1 turkey. or 815 prairie dogs to 1 Elk. I have spent a whole week in some parts of Alaska in the fall and seen nothing bigger than spruce hens in the whole week. There is no perfect answer, I think the 256 Winchester, is near perfect. It is a .357 Magnum case necked down to .25 caliber. or the .22 Hornet, or .22 K-Hornet is better.

What if the survival situation lasted 5 months, or 5 years...? Most people only think in terms of 2 days or 4 days, what if it was forever, the rest of your life.....? I would want a lot of ammo.

Blog Entries

Hope, I have a Ruger 77/22 hornet stainless/laminated that I had Wild West cut down to 22 inches and recrown. I put low power Burris glass on it. I use it to hunt winter Sitka in PWS as well as fur. I use Remington 45gr. hollow points and Hornady 35gr. V-max's with deadly effectiveness. But then everyone here should know I am a die hard fan of .22 caliber.
    Last edited by klkak; 11-03-2008 at 06:51 PM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Years ago when there was a bounty on seals, there was a guy who would fill his pockets with .22 K-Hornets and wander all around Afognak Island shooting seals. He had many run'ins with Kodiak Brown Bears, He just used the .22 k-Hornet to solve the problem. Most likely more Polar Bear been harvested with the .222 Remington than everything else together.

Blog Entries

There is nothing wrong with the .223. Well there is the fact that .223 ammo is getting harder to come by due to the war. Oh yea and you can carry more .22 hornet. If you are a good shot you won't need all those fast back up shot you get with the AR. Nope, there is nothing wrong with the .223, Nothing at all.

Just bought another 1000 rounds of 223 this past week end. No shortage at the gun show I attended, but it has gone up in price.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

the only problem with 22 cals is that in some places its illegal for big game that's why i like 243.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    So, what's wrong with the 223.?
    Nothing the .223 Remington, is nothing more than the .222 Remington Magnum with the shoulder changed so the Government did not have to pay Remington a fee.

If one wants to be super critical of the .223 Rem. class of cartridges, it is the painful loud report. Making it hard to hunt game or scout the enemy with our ears wide open, and the next second, painful loud discharge, and made worse by the 10" 14" or 16" barrel length.

Think about, The shotgun is sub sonic the 22 Mag is not. You will here the 22 long ahead of the shotgun.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It is MY hearing I care about, I shoot all three most days. And the .223 Is the only one I must have hearing protection for. For all firearms hearing protection should be used. But if you are hunting you can't have hearing protection on. In a DLP situation I will discharge the .22 mag. or the shotguns, but it really hurts to discharge the 10" barrel AR-15 .223 Rem. or 6.8 SPC.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 11-04-2008 at 02:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Runs With Beer View Post
    Think about, The shotgun is sub sonic the 22 Mag is not. You will here the 22 long ahead of the shotgun.
    The shotgun is sub-sonic?

What ballistics charts are you reading?

Even Remington's Managed recoil target loads clock 1100 fps. That is not sub-sonic my friend.

You need to have your fact straight before you make a post.
    Last edited by klkak; 11-04-2008 at 02:07 AM.

Hopeak I see your point, just saying that in bear country the 45-70 wouldn't be a bad idea.

Klkak, how do you like Wild West's work? Been thinking about having them do a 1895 guide gun for me.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chiye tanka View Post
    Hopeak I see your point, just saying that in bear country the 45-70 wouldn't be a bad idea.

Klkak, how do you like Wild West's work? Been thinking about having them do a 1895 guide gun for me.
    Wild West Guns is second to none. So are their prices!

I had them do some work on my Ruger 77/22 Hornet. On a good day I can shoot dime sized groups at 100 yards with it. Which is real nice since a Sitka blacktails eye is about the size of a quarter.

Default Firearms choice

A 20 gauge/.62 cal flintlock fusil, or a .32 cal flintlock rifle.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not , when I came to die , discover that I had not lived. " Henry David Thoreau.