Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capture

Question Capture

I do not know if anyone will know this but i thought it was worth asking. I am just wondering there is something a soldier is supposed to repeat and only say when he is captured. I want to know what this is called and if possible, what it is they are supposed to say. I know it starts with their name then their citizenship or something like that, any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kody

Kody, how about you slide over to the intros and tell us about yourself. Then we can help you with your question.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

yo quero taco bell
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Yep you talk your head off to save your a$$. You ain't John Wayne and pain hurts something terrible. You can do the normal thing and lie but that won't last. Me, I would have no secrets unless questioned by my wife.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

For me, it's name, rank and debit card password. I'd pay good cash to be returned safely home.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

They ain't gett'in nothing out of me, I am a man of steel. What, Say what, no vanilla flavored creamer in my coffee. I'll tell you anything, just give me some vanilla flavored creamer.

Yeah name rank and serial number is always what they gave the Krauts in Hogans Heros. I love that show
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by Moirlend View Post
    In the US Military all your suppose to give if captured is Name, Rank and Serial Number
    Problem with this is that the military stopped giving each soldier a serial number awhile ago. If you look at your 'tags now you'll see your social security number where there used to be your serial number. But yes in the past that is what you were "supposed" to give out.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
    Facta non verba

Lethality of the 22LR - Actual test
    Honor dies where interest lies

Reminds of DeNiro in that movie Ronin, talking about being tortured by an enemy

"I held out til they gave me a grasshopper."

"What's a grasshopper???"

"Well, you take a little creme de menthe, a little...."
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Default Geneva Convention III

Hi Cody, I don't know if it has a specific name, but you are referring to Article 17 of the Third Geneva Convention:

It says:

"Part III: Captivity

Section 1: Beginning of Captivity

Article 17

Every prisoner of war, when questioned on the subject, is bound to give only his surname, first names and rank, date of birth, and army, regimental, personal or serial number, or failing this, equivalent information.

If he wilfully infringes this rule, he may render himself liable to a restriction of the privileges accorded to his rank or status.

Each Party to a conflict is required to furnish the persons under its jurisdiction who are liable to become prisoners of war, with an identity card showing the owner's surname, first names, rank, army, regimental, personal or serial number or equivalent information, and date of birth. The identity card may, furthermore, bear the signature or the fingerprints, or both, of the owner, and may bear, as well, any other information the Party to the conflict may wish to add concerning persons belonging to its armed forces. As far as possible the card shall measure 6.5 x 10 cm. and shall be issued in duplicate. The identity card shall be shown by the prisoner of war upon demand, but may in no case be taken away from him. ........"

There is also a 4th Geneva Convention, which deals with the treatment of Civilians in wartime. You might want to look that up for yourself in Google

HTH, Reiver
    Last edited by Reiver; 11-20-2008 at 04:09 AM.
    "Egotism is the anaesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity" - Some Guy

Survival Instructor S.E.R.E Guy's Avatar

Depend on the situation your in, because this is exactly what I teach people. It depends on if your in War time, Peace time or Hostage

Kody do a search for Code of Conduct it is really a good piece of information. I wish I had the skill to post a link but I don't.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Blog Entries

I gave them my Name, Rank, Branch of U.S service, SSN and as much B.S. and resistance as I could muster.
    Last edited by klkak; 11-21-2008 at 12:31 AM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

These words have always meant a lot to me.

The Code of Conduct
    I . I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense .

II . I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command. I will never surrender the members of my command while they have the means to resist.

III . If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and to aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

IV . If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not , I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.

V . When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name. rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

VI . I Will never forget that I am an American , fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.
    Last edited by HOP; 11-20-2008 at 11:27 PM.

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Blog Entries

Beautiful words HOP. The meaning goes deeper then the words can express.

That was awesome HOP, thanks.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Yep - learned those words in boot camp. It was sometime later until I really appreciated what they meant.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hey Hop,
    I take you've been through level "C" Code of Conduct training? The real key phrasing is in the second sentence of Article V (utmost of your ability). Also remember that tactical information has a relativly short useful lifespan where as biographical info (ie. anything about you) is useful as long as they have you and longer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Hey Hop,
    I take you've been through level "C" Code of Conduct training? The real key phrasing is in the second sentence of Article V (utmost of your ability). Also remember that tactical information has a relativly short useful lifespan where as biographical info (ie. anything about you) is useful as long as they have you and longer.
    I still don't wear a wedding ring or carry pictures in my wallet.

When I retired from the US Army in 1987 I spent 17 years working security in corrections and these words served me well especially when the pucker factor was tight.