Thread: The Conversion of Uncle Ricky

Banned

Default The Conversion of Uncle Ricky

Think it will ever happen?

If it does happen, what will be the event or circumstances that that will tip him over the edge into reality?

Well personally, I think he is already convinced deep down and this is all sport to him.

But eventually even the blind realize the emperor has no clothes on. I'm just wondering if, or when it happens, what will be the catalyst that makes him an anathema even to his own sub-conscience as he tries to squeeze the blood of good news out of a stone.

You arent talking about Rick are you ?
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has business cycles. And those cycles have to be guarded by men with suits. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Mr. Bragg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the dollar and you curse the stocks. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that the stocks being down, while tragic, was inevitable. And my exuberance, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, ...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want the stock market to thrive. You need the stock market to thrive.
    We use words like derivatives, index funds, investment income...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very business cycle I support, then questions the manner in which I support it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a dollar and invest it. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

(my apologies to Aaron Sorkin for bastardizing his writing from A Few Good Men)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Excellent!!!

I think you may be conflicted. Deep down you know this stuff I'm talking about is true, but on the surface, I think you are hoping against hope.

A classic double minded man.

My question is when does your hope run out . . . so that you can reconcile yourself to yourself. What will be that event?

Kind of a death watch really.

Not at all. See, unlike you, I've lived a while. I know it's just a business cycle. I've seen them come and I've seen them go. The thing that surprises me the most is even though the stocks are at record levels we have yet to see the unemployment rates and inflation problems that we saw with the recession in the late '70s early 80's. The wife and I were talking this evening about investing in some property. It's a buyers market, Bragg. Stocks and real estate or dang near free. Or haven't you been watching?

When people are greedy get wary. When people are wary get greedy. That's how you play this game.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Well, I have to agree Rick, real estate you can't go wrong on, especially if you wait just a bit longer as there will be huge discounts at rock bottom prices. I have my eyes open and feelers going out in US recreational real estate myself.

As for stocks, if I were to purchase and get it on it, it would be commodities.

(my post above is just to rib you Rick, not being serious)

And I knew it was. No blood no foul where I come from. Only thick skin survives!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And I knew it was. No blood no foul where I come from. Only thick skin survives!
    How can you still be alive then rick ?
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.