Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1" long Water Purifier

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior View Post
    Aren't they similar? Are there methods to irradicade these kind of contaminations?
    No they are not similar. Keep in mind that water in many nuclear reators is used as shielding (secondary). I haven't looked at data on the effects of a nuclear detonation on contaminating a water supply, but I believe the biggest concern would be from surface contamination. The further away from a detonation, the less the effects.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

@ UnknownWarrior - There is a difference between radiation and contamination. Radiation is the energy given off such as Xrays. They pass through items, like your cells, and destroy the nucleus of the cell, which is a bad thing if it happens to be you. Not so bad if you are killing bacteria in a food source.

Contamination, on the other hand, is the spread of the actual, radioactive material. In the case of an explosion, the radioactive material is spread in the form of dust and other debris, which, obviously, poses a risk.

If you filter contaminated water with a clean material (a water filter) then you remove the radioactive material from the water. Of course, you might do yourself harm if the radioactive material is strong enough to still zap you. You could have clean water and still get sick from exposure. But, at least, the water will be clean.

You can google Nagasaki. I think you'll find that many folks were contaminated by drinking water straight from the river. In this case, they ingested radioactive material, which then zapped them from the inside out.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.