Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have what it takes

Default Do you have what it takes

If you hade to live from the land chould you Reely do it .

If I "HAD" to....Yes, I think I could.
    Do I want to....No, not full time
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Runs With Beer View Post
    If you hade to live from the land chould you Reely do it .
    The answer for me......It would depend on the starting point. And where. If I have to start naked, no tools, no clothes, I would die.

If I could start with what I could carry in one load only on my back. I could live.

which land? it's a matter that would make quite a lot of difference.

assuming i had nothing but the pants, shirt and undewear i usually wear and nothing else, it would be a huge question. around here i could probably do it for a good long while. probably not so long in Baja, northern alberta or the Oregon outback.
    Last edited by canid; 10-18-2008 at 11:00 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I agree Canid,Here in Fla. I thinh Id do fine,But up north I dont know. But you cant know too much, Knowledge is power!

It would depend on the season, too. I'd do just fine in the spring,summer and fall. Winter would be pretty bleak.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

winter here would be a bit**. have not tested myself in the winter long term yet. this topic always facinates me, before i met mrs eagle i dated many many many woman that all claimed they wanted the log cabin in the bush but when i gets down to brass tacks they can't take being far from town or the isolation or that dominos don't deliver same as all the romantic souls that venture to alaska to live off the land only to abandon after a few months due to the harsh lifestyle, it takes allot of work to live out in the bush, you are not going to run around willy nilly like joe mack you need a base yes you may need to move it every year or season but you will still want a home base, i had a thread like this before entitled could i have made it back then, its funny i always say this about everything i life but the more i learn the more i realize i don't know, so in answer could i do it i don't really know.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Banned

I'm living off my land now. Have for years. Spent years of hard work and hundreds of thousands of dollars to get it where it is at. All that's left is a wood fired green house to build in the spring. Anything is possible.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well, it depends on what one starts with.....? A fully operating 30,000 acres ranch with 200,000 head of cattle, and 100,000 gal. of diesel. Or start with an one normal clothes and one pack horse, or 20 packhorse's. Where do you draw the line......?

I agree with Hopeak, it really depends what you start with- especially in the winter. I spent the winter of 1996-97 (one of the coldest and snowiest in MT history) in a small one room (with a loft) straw bale cabin that friends and I built in two weeks. The cabin, was pathetic it had a wood stove sized for a tent, no electricity or water, we didn't get a chance to finish the outside... it just had chicken wire wrapped around the straw, and on the inside we hung tarps over the straw. It was primitive.
    But, we had 10 cords of wood, the three of us had all killed Elk, and deer...so, we had more meat then we could eat, and we had plenty of stores of all the other necessities...so we made it through the winer no problem.

If we hadn't had all the wood and meat squared away in advance it could have been a different story.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

On a side note....I said, "so we made it through the winer no problem." that might be an exaggeration....we all suffered from a low grade depression all winter, we were cold alot, we were pissed off alot, and we hated one another by the end of the winter.

And, we were not stuck in the cabin together all the time. It was my senior year in college, and I had to cross country ski or snow shoe in and out from the cabin everyday and drag stuff in and out by sled. We had about 5 or 6 of those blue 5 gallon water containers and every morning we would get up and they'd be frozen solid (in the house) if we didn't get up and stoke the fire several times a night...so, we started setting an alarm and taking turns getting up to set the fire. There were definetly problems...we just didn't go hungry though

Banned
    Blog Entries

The "Game" we have played for years is, only what you can carry when you leave, and you must carry it non-stop the first 1/2 mile. You can not relay tons of gear. So the game is to sort-out what you would take. And of course you need to know how much you could carry. The where for us is Alaska wilderness. You must stay in the wilderness for at least one year, with no outside help. We have refined this list over 40 years. Clue: start with must have things.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 10-19-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BraggSurvivor View Post
    I'm living off my land now. Have for years. Spent years of hard work and hundreds of thousands of dollars to get it where it is at. All that's left is a wood fired green house to build in the spring. Anything is possible.
    i'm gonna go out on a limb and hazard a guess that what the question is reffering to is could you go out in to the wilderness after being ousted from your homes and survive/thrive at least that is how i understood the question, if it is as easy as could we live off the land well heck we are all doing that in one way or another foods we buy came from the land same as the clothes we wear and the vehicles we drive i can guarantee that no one here is living off the land 100% or they would not be here, there are some very close such as wild woman who is my personal hero and jason montana who has shared his story
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Banned

I think that living off your land could mean a number of things. You have to start somewhere. As I have said on here before, I started in an old school bus on my land with no water, sewage or power.

Today I live 100% off the land I have purchased. My total income comes from my land and properties that I develop and sell. The cattle I keep here grazing on all summer is more of a hobby for the family. By the time I purchase the calves, pay vet bills, trucking and feed lot fees, I just break even most times. (although I fill freezers of friends and family). It is more to keep my kids busy and learning this way of life. Sure there are better ways of doing it, but I do it as my time permits. I surely don't want it to become a job.

I could and would actually prefer to but my wife is a city girl and so in effect I pretend to be a city man though I break away every chance i get. I believe most on here could if it was a matter of do or die is just that we spoil ourselves and somehow tend to believe we can't do without this or that.

Or simply choose not to do without this or that when we don't have to.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Well, my wife says I could do it. Guess that's all that matters.

But in reality, have you ever cut a chord of wood? Do you know how much wood you would need for a season? Now, I can cut some wood, but a seasons worth, that's almost a full time job.

Then there is the hunting. It's not a fun hunt, it's a serious hunt, you don't eat if you don't kill.

In the summer and spring, the wood cutting can get cut back, a little, then you better be out there gardening and harvesting. Don't forget, keep some seeds.

Where ya getting your water? If it's a stream, keep that fire a going. Just burn up that wood.

Even back in the day, you had to trade for some goods. Indians did it between tribes, the white man did it with the indians and others.

Again, my wife says I could do it. That's all that counts.

I think the original question should be a complete set one. It's this season, it's this area, what supplies you would have etc.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    I think the original question should be a complete set one. It's this season, it's this area, what supplies you would have etc.
    Originally, i took it as....could you live off the land starting right now, were ever you are.

But then so many questions, ie; FVR talked about hunting, it may not be hunting season, talked about the wood, it maybe be summer... etc
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."