Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 550 paracord

Not sure that $20 for 250 ft is cheap (I pay about $14 for 300 ft), but hey that's just me. In the meantime, how about heading over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default 550 Cord

I said this in another post but I will post it here also, I found some 550 para cord at:http://www.rangerjoes.com. The only problem is, is that I don't know if it is the real McCoy or not.
    Their price is $37.99 for 1000ft. roll.I will leave it up to you to check it out for yourself.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Exclamation Never around your neck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I shy away from wearing anything around my neck that won't freely break. I know the odds are pretty remote that it would get hung up but with my luck I'd hang myself going down an embankment.
    I use 550 cord for about everything. In the military we used to camo our dog tag chains w/gutted 550. Big mistake, when jumping out of birds strange things happen and people get hung up. Never use 550 cord around your neck, the crap dont break except maybe your neck if you get it hung up on something!! Please nobody needs to run 550 around their neck!!!

try http://www.stormdrane.blogspot.com/ it's got a lot of things you can make from 550 cord.if TSHTF you can undo it and use it for something

Banned

The Sportsmansguide.com and cheaperthandirt.com both have decent prices on paracord.

Just searching through "parachute" stuff. The subject of knots was mentioned here. Part of my misspent youth involved Army Parachute Rigger training and duties. Almost all knots using nylon cord are finished with "... an overhand know in the running end." This procedure ensures the slipping you may encounter is reduced. For more permanent uses (like on your gear), we would slightly melt the trailing end cut at just passed the knot to prevent unraveling. Just some hints from an Old GI.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Blog Entries

As a kid, I made a few bucks splicing line for boat owners. (I could do a real pretty 3/4" tapered line to cable splice.)

Rather than use an open flame to melt the ends on certain lines (ropes), I used a Weller soldering gun with a flat soldering blade for a virtually perfect seal at the tip.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

i know 550 paracord should hold 550 pounds.

but does anybody know the length it will hold 550 pounds at due to breaking strain?

for those who may not know- the longer a rope is, the weaker it gets.

thats kind of the core idea of breaking strain.

thanks in advance
    Bladen

I have not seen a formula to calculate breaking strain that included length. I understand what you are asking - I've just never seen it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

From another string:

You can get a lot of "parachute cord" and much more by looking for old surplus parachutes that have not been de-militarized (de-milled) by cutting the suspension lines off just below the canopy. The whole parachute has so many uses as well. Technically, anything that goes to property disposal (DRMO nowadays) cannot be used for its intended purpose, i.e. jumping. It is unlikely that you will find that cord since it's used by so many troops for so many purposes.

Trivia: What do the different color schemes of the filler strands signify? ......................................... They identify the manufacturer and/ or lots. Oh well, maybe that's not important.

Banned

Lightbulb Paracord / unusual applications

Rather than learn fancy wraps or buy specialty holders to manage headphone tangles, why not sheath your standard earbuds in paracord, that durable, hard-to-twist wonder material? One crafty Instructables writer shows us how.
    http://lifehacker.com/5562694/use-pa...e-cord-wrapper