Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 550 paracord

Blog Entries

Red face ooops!

Quote Originally Posted by survivalhike View Post
    I honestly never thought about making a belt out of that braid pattern...It would seem like a no brainer. I usually carry a .45 Long Colt single action revolver with me, and because it's a heavy item I need a strong belt. I would think that 2 lines of 550 with a combined strength of 1100 pounds would be quite sufficient.

Just so I'm correct, a sheer harness is a repeling harness? If it is, the 550 should work really well.

Like I said the braid pattern is super easy to figure out from the website, I had it in about five minutes.
    That's a typo, shoulda read: "Shoulder Strap, similar to what Bear Grylls uses.
    I always want lots of "cordage" with me!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Even as I read it I could hear that British accent saying "cordage." In BG's world it seems everything "makes excellent cordage."

Screw making "cordage," I'll just unravel by 550 belt!

Bass Pro Shops also sells 550, and they have it for less than $5 for a hundred feet in olive drab. Not too bad if you live close to the Mecca of camping and fishing supplies.

Blog Entries

Para cord is very useful in a survival situation but I would take a good knife first, using it to reppel would screw up your hands really bad as the smal size even doubled would burn your hands up, we used 550paracord in the army for just about everything you can think of but it can also be dangerous supporting your weight, it is sheathed inside nylon and if any of the strands fray or break inside the sheath you could take a nasty fall, hemp rope is best for reppeling.
    We gotta Bass Pro Shop here now and there ok, kinda pricy.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I think 550 is great stuff to have and I have quite a bit of it but also kep and carry other line. Breaking down 550 is useful to a certian extent but once you break it down you don't have 550 any more you have a bunch of string and a sheath.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the mix. There are a lot of variations on paracord. Many meet official military specifications for their required use and many don't. However, there are generally two types that you will see for sale. MIL-C-5040 Type III and 550 Commercial Type III.

MIL-C-5040, from a wholesale perspective, is about twice the price of 550 Commercial. That's why you often see such a wide variation in price. You can expect to pay in the $45+ range for Commercial 550 for a 1000 foot spool and in the 75+ range for MIL-C-5040 for a 1000 foot spool (retail). The cost, of course, depends on manufacturer and the retailer's markup but that will put you in the ballpark. It even gets more confusing because the minimum breaking strength for 550 Commercial varies by manufacturer. Some are as low as 250 pounds while others will certify their commercial cord at 550 pounds, the same as MIL-C-5040 Type III.

If you want some cordage for field use (that's what this forum is about, right?) then 550 Commercial Type III should be sufficient. Not certain why anyone would want to pay the additional money for genuine MIL-C-5040 just to replace a boot lace or to be able to carry some thread or fishing line. Is MIL-C-5040 better that 550 Commercial? Probably, depending on manufacturer. It won't shrink nearly as much because it goes through a shrink process for coloring (except the natural or white color). The 550 Commercial will shrink more because it's a solution dyed material. Regardless of what you hear, paracord shrinks although the amount of shrinkage in MIL-C-5040 is negligible. But the 550 Commercial is still tough as nails, lightweight, and less expensive. Folks seem to have it in their heads that if it isn't MIL-C-5040 then it must not be quality material and that's just not true. Granted, I wouldn't want my parachute canopy strung with 550 Commercial Type III but 550 Commercial Type III for use outdoors is just fine and should excel for general cordage use. Not convinced? Buy some of each and field test it. I'll bet quality 550 Commercial meets all your needs and then some.

I would shy away from paracord with less than seven inner strands and certainly bypass any that has internal fibers rather than strand. The whole purpose of taking the stuff with you is to have as much cordage as possible and why carry paracord with five inner strands when you can carry seven for the same price? For a ten foot piece of paracord that's 60 feet vs. 80 feet (inner strands + outer sheath).

Just look for cord that has seven inner strands and you will "probably" have the 550 Commercial Type III. Look at the add closely, if it says "meets MIL-C-5040 requirements", "Just like MIL-C-5040", etc. then you probably have 550 Commercial.

An add that says Type III paracord really doesn't tell you anything. Neither does 550 pound rated or 550 Type III. Either type could qualify. If you have any questions, ask your retailer for specifics. They should be able to furnish it including whether or not the cord is certified as MIL-C-5040 and/or the minimum breakage rating. If they can't, find another retailer. Just be wary if they tell you it's 550 Commercial and it has a minimum breakage rating of 550 pounds. That may not be the case unless it is certified at that weight. They may be sincere in their belief but they may also be very wrong. You might also want to ask where the paracord is manufactured and if the manufacturer is a current U.S. military provider. A U.S. based manufacturer that supplies the military must meet stringent specifications and that quality usually overlaps to their commercial products. It's expensive to retool just to make different qualities.

Paracord, even MIL-C-5040 was not designed, and it should not be used, for climbing or rappelling. While its uses are many and varied, it does not contain the same properties and safety characteristics as climbing rope. Paracord is not fine-tuned for the optimum combination of weight, number of falls, impact force, elongation, handling and durability that is found in commercial climbing ropes. Ropes designed primarily for sport climbing must provide a soft catch and be durable, while not having too much elongation. Paracord does not provide any of these features. That is not what it is designed for. Don't put you life at risk by misusing paracord to climb or rappel with.

Now, a note on survival bracelets. You can find a lot of survival bracelets in two tone or even three tones. To make a bracelet in two tones, MOST braiders use two five foot pieces and fuse them together (someone is sure to tell me they don't do it that way. Fine). What you wind up with is two five foot pieces, which means you have shorter inner strands. If that isn't a concern for you and you are more interested in the look, then two tone may be a good choice. If, however, you want as much continuous cordage as you can conveniently carry, then choose a one color bracelet. Again, if you have any questions, ask the braider before you buy.

I'll bet I get hammered by someone for all this info :O) but I do deal with the stuff, make survival bracelets, retail survival equipment, and deal with the rope manufacturers so I have a bit of history and knowledge of it. I won't plug my company here but your safety could be at stake if you misuse paracord and that's a concern to me.

Wikipedia has a nice article on MIL-C-5040. Just Google paracord wikipedia and it should come up.

I hope that helps, particularly if you are a newby.

Rick

I have been wanting to buy some for awile

If you shop online for items such as this a great site is

www.uscav.com
    This site sells it in a length of 300' or 100'

Borelli,

They are selling 550 Commercial at 6.5 cents a foot for 300'. Try these guys for 4.9 cents a foot for a 300' piece. They are about as inexpensive for 550 Commercial as you'll find.

http://www.imsplus.com/ims47i.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The strongest, best Paracord, is the newest one from the US Military called MIL-C-5040 Type III. rated for 550lbs and it is now "ORANGE" in color (per the Gov) This is the newest cord, and they tell that by the orange color, it does cost a little more, but your life may depend on it! Some of the inexpensive 550 type 111 Commercial paracord is rated as low as 50lb max.

The Orange Version is strictly Military Specification and was manufactured specifically at the request of the United States Military. Its military designation is MIL-C-5040 Revision H, Type III International Orange.

I don't know about anyone else, but, since my life depends on it, I always ask to see a "Certification" from the Seller. JMHO
    Last edited by Gray Wolf; 12-06-2007 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Better explination
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

The MIL-C-5040 Type III designation has been around for quite a while. The company I buy from is a certified supplier to the U.S. military and I spoke with the sales mgr. just a couple of weeks ago (11-16). They are still supplying natural (white), black and OD to the military along with orange. I think foliage green is the newest addition. Some of you that are still jumping can correct if need be but that's what my supplier is producing for Uncle Sam.

You can, of course, purchase commercial 550 in just about any color you want. As I indicated above, some is just as good and to the same specifications as MIL-C-5040. The level of quality depends on the manufacturer. As long as the commercial 550 is certified at a 550 lb. rating (and has the 7 inner strands) I don't see any reason to pay double the price. IMHO.
    Last edited by Rick; 12-06-2007 at 07:41 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default 550 paracord, BAH

Ahhh, baling twine; surely one of the two wonders of the modern world (the other being duct tape). You only need to use sisal baling twine.

Oh, bailing WIRE for sure. Long story about a 1964 Ford Galaxy XL and jumping a ravine. Anyway, the bailing wire held the gas tank on for a long, long time despite the rhythmic sway the gasoline inside caused. You know the old saying, "If the Ford's a rockin'...that's just the bailing wire." At least I think that's how the saying goes.

550 parachute cord is great stuff. When in the rangers, we used it to tie our boots and extracted a single nylon strand to sew our torn clothes or tie several together for a fishing line, or singularly as a snare for small game etc..
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Survival is the art of steeling one's desire to overcome and surpass any situation with nothing more than personal will and fortitude.

Question Best knot for 550.

What would be the permanent knot for attaching 550 parachute cord to a small metal object like a shackle? Should I use something hold it from coming loose? Melt the rope at all? Tape it?

Hello David Beniuk welcome to the forum. An anchor hitch may work for you, but it would be helpful to know the application that you plan on using it for. I like to melt the ends of my para cord to keep it from fraying. I've also been playing around with making some survival bracelettes. That's why I'm asking you about the application.

Also, there's an introduction section here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14 where you can tell us a bit about yourself. Ya know - wilderness experience, general area that you hail from, hobies - that sort of stuff. Again, welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 03-17-2008 at 11:09 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by survivalhike View Post
    Oh, and I found a link to a site that shows how to make a version of the paracord bracelet. It was actually very easy to figure out, and the directions we're simple. It's not as ornate as the above poster's version, but it will stash about 10-14 feet of paracord for you.

http://www.instructables.com/id/EL5S5IADTYEY95S32O/
    hey thanks for the link. i've been thinking of trying to tye one for a while but was unsure of the knot sequence. ive got to give this a try.

many have already stated but i just bought a 300' spool from cheaper than dirt for 12.00 last week.

i wrap 50' around my pistol belt. it only goes about 1/2 way around so i can still put small sheaths on part of the belt. my srk and survival pouch are large enough to slide over the paracord wraping and it is still comfortable to wear. don't even know its there.

i also like the power pro fishing line in the 100 lb test. very thin and you can wrap a ton around a nail and still packs very small. works great for many everyday tasks in the woods without cutting up the 550 cord.

awfoxden - Try using a sewing machine spool for the fishing line. It holds tons of fishing line in a compact space. When you have all you want on it just tape the end so it doesn't unravel.

Here is another great site on what can be done with paracord.
    http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

David - There are over 4000 knots so the application for the paracord is all important.

that sewing machine spool should have a nick on the end to pull the end of the thread,or string though to keep from unraveling
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Thanks, Nell. I didn't see one on mine but it might have been hiding. These eyes.....(shakes his head).

I picked up three at Wally World for a buck 2.98 or something cheap like that. It's wasn't much at all.
    Last edited by Rick; 03-18-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Yea it is hard to see sometimes,I just drag the thread along the egde on the end until it snags it,just like on the end of a spool of fishing line.
    Last edited by nell67; 03-18-2008 at 08:27 PM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)