Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 550 paracord

Paracord is extremely tough stuff that can be used for many things. My family actually makes Utility Bracelets, watch straps, and dog collars, using military issue paracord. Below is an example of what we make. The Utility bracelets contain 15 - 24 feet of paracord, and a stainless steel shackle. It is a very convenient way to carry a good bit of paracord with you at all times for emergency situations. You can email me at toughgear@comcast.net if you would like more information.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Cool

How much do you charge per purchase ?
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Here is a link on some uses and info about 550 cord. Make sure you buy the Mil-C-5040 Type 3, 550 cord.
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 06-24-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkfree3 View Post
    Not practical to carry when hiking? are you kidding? It weighs next to nothing and a little bit goes a long way. it's a bout as thick as a shoelace and stores well. I wouldn't hike without it.
    I will have to agree with you thinkfree3. I would not be outdoors without it. I have got a hiking stick that I have had for years. It has a 20 ft. piece of para cord wrapped around it. This stuff is as valuable as duct tape. bear

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

You can never, never, never have enough 550 cord. You have to be sure it's the genuine article, and not the cheap crap a lot of places sell.

You can use it to rapel in an emergency, but other than that I wouldn't. If the mantle abraids and the kern starts to get cut, you'll be on the bottom in no time with a few broken bones and less chance of survival.

Paracord is like duct tape never leave home without it!
    "SURVIVAL..........it's all in your Head!"

Question

hi all im new

any one any one

great im all alone again

Default Hey Devin

Try the introductions section!

as for the paracord, if I may quote (or at least paraphrase) the movie the Boondock Saints, "Ya never know what you'll need a rope for, you just always need it.....Charlie Bronson always had a rope!" LOL.

That paracord looks like my next purchase.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

It's true that parachute cord is the best stuff to take... i always take a few coils. The price is expensive, but worth it. I once had to use it to climb down about 300 feet into a gorge, hoist down all my equipment, and then get out again. It is very strong, and very handy.
    Strider
    I take paths untrodden...

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Geronimo!

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    It's true that parachute cord is the best stuff to take... i always take a few coils. The price is expensive, but worth it. I once had to use it to climb down about 300 feet into a gorge, hoist down all my equipment, and then get out again. It is very strong, and very handy.
    I buy the real parachute cord in 1000' lengths from www.cheaperthandirt.com for $40 + S.& H.. You get a lot of it that way and I'm always using it for something.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, there is alot of fake stuff out there. Make sure it is official 550 Paracord and not some cheap stuff pretending to be.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

I was so pissed today. I went to an Army Surplus Store and asked them to show me their 550 cord. They showed me what looked like 550 on a spool, and at the last moment I decided to look at the inside strands just to see what I was getting (even though I truly thought I didn't have to look). There we're four strands of internal cord inside the outer braid. I couldn't believe it...The ARMY SURPLUS STORE of all places was selling cheap immitation paracord. I'm going to www.cheaperthandirt.com to get my spool. They have 1000' for $40. I'm still floored about the whole event, but online they have a picture that shows honest to goodness 7 strand 550 cord.

Oh, and I found a link to a site that shows how to make a version of the paracord bracelet. It was actually very easy to figure out, and the directions we're simple. It's not as ornate as the above poster's version, but it will stash about 10-14 feet of paracord for you.

http://www.instructables.com/id/EL5S5IADTYEY95S32O/

Blog Entries

Cool Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by survivalhike View Post
    Oh, and I found a link to a site that shows how to make a version of the paracord bracelet. It was actually very easy to figure out, and the directions we're simple. It's not as ornate as the above poster's version, but it will stash about 10-14 feet of paracord for you.

http://www.instructables.com/id/EL5S5IADTYEY95S32O/
    Cool! I'm going to try to figure out how to make a belt, or even a sher harness out of one, thanks SH!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by survivalhike View Post
    I was so pissed today. I went to an Army Surplus Store and asked them to show me their 550 cord. They showed me what looked like 550 on a spool, and at the last moment I decided to look at the inside strands just to see what I was getting (even though I truly thought I didn't have to look). There we're four strands of internal cord inside the outer braid. I couldn't believe it...The ARMY SURPLUS STORE of all places was selling cheap immitation paracord. I'm going to www.cheaperthandirt.com to get my spool. They have 1000' for $40. I'm still floored about the whole event, but online they have a picture that shows honest to goodness 7 strand 550 cord.
    I've posted that site elsewhere on this very same page! I've bought a spool from them. The only problem was that had some cuts in the line so that it wasn't one continous line, but I didn't mind that!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I honestly never thought about making a belt out of that braid pattern...It would seem like a no brainer. I usually carry a .45 Long Colt single action revolver with me, and because it's a heavy item I need a strong belt. I would think that 2 lines of 550 with a combined strength of 1100 pounds would be quite sufficient.

Just so I'm correct, a sheer harness is a repeling harness? If it is, the 550 should work really well.

Like I said the braid pattern is super easy to figure out from the website, I had it in about five minutes.

There is a MAJOR difference between "paracord" and Parachute cord. Paracord is the cheaper stuff, and only tests at something like 200 lbs. Parachute cord is the real deal.

You can reppel with it, but if you're prone to get yourself in those type of situations, climbing rope is a better idea.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Cool! I'm going to try to figure out how to make a belt, or even a sher harness out of one, thanks SH!
    You could also crochet some cord.,leaving you with a continuous line, or macrame, but you'd end up with shorter fragments. I think the link actually was a form of macrame, but I could be wrong. I used to do macrame in the seventies, but I've forgotten the knots by now.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride