Thread: a new trick for me

Default a new trick for me

Well I went to the Rendezvou here a couple days ago and had fun as always but this time I focused even more on the survival skils and a little less on the history and Politics of that time though I find it all verry interesting. I practised the atlatl though Im not verry good yet. I also talked to a flint knaper for like an hour as I watched him work the stone which I do every year but the really cool part for me was trying the bow drill fire starting for the first time. I got it on my second try . The first try was with a baswood drill and cedar plank but the drill was to short and fat for me so I tried a long thin yuca drill on the cedar and that worked really fast. the guy that was teaching me said that basswood on basswod works good to. He instructed to start out focused on making the drill spin fast and not to add too much pressure till after I see smoke and then start adding it and this worked really well for me. now Im going to start practising till I get reliable at it. It use to be so intimadating to me but its really not that hard so long as you have good wood for it so if your feeling that way at all dont let it get to you. Just try to keep the bow tip from moving up and down too much as you move it back and forth to spin the drill or the string will slide up the drill easier. Good luck to all who are wanting to learn it. youll get it

Sounds like a great time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

awesome job owl girl I found the bow intimidating at first also but after alot of practice i know now the wood and my form was what held me back I have it pretty well mastered and can get a coal in under a minute now most everytime , now my problem lies with the fireplow but with a lil work I'll get that also I wont give up til I do lol

Sounds like you had a great time owl-girl! Glad you worked out the bow drill,that I haven't even tried as of yet.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Yeah, That does sound like a great time. I've been able to get smoke from a ceder bow and drill but havn't got fire yet. I'll have to get serious and try the speed nad not so much pressure
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin