Thread: Potassium permanganate and its uses in survival situations.

Default Potassium permanganate and its uses in survival situations.

Hello all,
    My first post here.

My question is this:

I've been reading on the uses of Potassium permanganate and I was wondering what ya'll thought of its effectiveness for uses like first aid, fire starting, water purifying and any others I may not be aware of. Anyone used it in the field and what did you think of the results?

I've got to say I'm a little worried about drinking a caustic oxidizing agent. haha

And also, I know that I can use other items more effectively but it seems to have so many uses, I thought it might be a good back up.

Thanks
    Last edited by ADEPT; 10-13-2008 at 11:13 PM.

welcome. first i would suggest you head over to the introductions forum down towards the bottom of the forums display page.

the use of potasium permanganate has come up here before, but personally i've never used it before unless it's been in any of the water purification tablets i've used or in a topical ointment, and in either case it would have been in small volume. i am actually inclined to ask if anybody here has ever seen it in a first aid kit.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Cool Hi!

Intro 1st; answers 2nd; deal?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

ah, I've corrected the mistake. sorry bout that!

I gave permanganate (Condy's Crystals) a serious look a couple of years ago. My thinking was sort of in line with yours. Anti-biotic, water treatment, fire starter. Mult-use! It didn't take very long however to figure out the drawbacks out weighed the advantages.

Fire starter - It works very well because it's an oxidizer. So it has to be kept safely tucked away from oxidizable (is that a word?) substances. Nothing like having your back pack erupt into flames while hiking.

Stain Everything - Oh, yes. Even the glass jar it's stored in will be stained as will your hands and clothes. Your favorite boots and everything else it touches.

Anti-biotic - wound cleansing, fungal infections, athlete's foot. You can even give yourself a caustic burn if you mix it too strong. How's that for multi-use?

Water Treatment - If you want. I'm sure it kills bacteria and probably viruses but I've not found any reliable information on protozoan cysts.

In the end, I figured there were much better alternatives that were more reliable and a whole lot less trouble.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked.....

Dangerous, messy stuff. Take plenty of waterproof/windproof matches along with a lighter & a Mag. block with flint rod & you're fine. Flint & steel type methods are basically foolproof & a lot simpler. I think the "pyro-technics" of the "Pot/Perm" mixture is the attraction factor. I even have a recipe for a contact explosive easily made with 2 common household products that is written about in an old book on magic. "KA-BOOM!!!!" Survive that!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Ya'll have answered my questions to a T. thanks.

I'm going to include a very small metal vial with PP in it in my largest survival kit but it will be triple sealed and for use only as an extreme backup.

I would use a GLASS vial, not metal as it is very oxidizable and will react with KMnO4.

Blog Entries

Cool Uh, Will....

Quote Originally Posted by willardthegrey View Post
    I would use a GLASS vial, not metal as it is very oxidizable and will react with KMnO4.
    Glass runs the risk of breaking, there-by creating a big mess!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by willardthegrey View Post
    You could try copper as the metal.
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

The Brits love the stuff, At SERE we would have SAS members come over and cross train with us. They would do most of their time with the field force with a little time with the DARK side. They all carried it in their kit and loved showing us Yanks just how well it worked. Well Maine spring, summer and fall can be quite damp and winter ...well tons of snow. So the Pp would get damp and of course it would get on everything it touched. For wounds and water purification no problem, but starting a fire was amother matter when it was damp. Give me iodine tabs and a mag block any day!

Pp does have its drawback it does, in a stress situation it may be more trouble than it's worth.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

In Brazil KMnO4 is sold in foil flats of ten sections with each section holding a measured 10 mg of the grains. I have used it in my kits. I normally cut off two of the sections and sandwich the foil between two pieces of clear contact paper. This makes it very compact and fits nicely in the bottom of the Altoids tin. The foil flats cost about a dollar.

The main use in Brazil is as a fungicide for treating ringworm and other nasties. For this alone in my climate it is a good thing to have along as fungus and damp feet are bad news.

As a water treatment it is tricky to use. The amount is VERY small for a liter of water. You really need to use a clear bottle to mix it because you want to be able to see the very light, watery, pale pink color. I would use it in an emergency if boiling was not an option. If I had a clear container, and clear water, and time, and sun, I would rather use solar disinfection. The KMnO4 is there as a fungicide and back-up water treatment in my kit. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.