Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Real MEN vs. Modern WIMP men or where did the adventure spirit go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Back when I was getting out of school we had this thing called a DRAFT. ..... The job skills you were taught could get you a job with a nice man called "Mad Mike" and benefits just for the taking. Best of all you would be a REAL MAN.
    Oh yeah, a REAL MAN, or ...you know....dead.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well, I lost, You all win. My point was about spirit, but somehow it allway gets twisted into the equipment. And definding the equipment.

I am taking the .375 H&H for a walk. Just me a jacket, and the .375 H&H, no survival gear, no food.

As men altogether we are just losing our 'primitive' roles. We are no longer the hunters and providers our great grandfathers were. todays society rules that convenience overrules need and necessity. Everything we need is at our fingertips. Not only that but we have been emasculated by modern media and pop culture. All things being equal there is no cultural imperative in civilized nations for a man to be a man anymore. There really is nothing left to seperate us from women in our daily lives. Men used to go out hunting, now they just play golf.

Real men don't hang out on computers and messageboards!

Sorry 'bout that Mame.

Blog Entries

Hop,

I think we may agree why men were diff. 70 years ago; first, many were not scared of hard work; second, the family unit meaning the head of the household was the main means of support for the family; third, when you went out hunting, it was for food not wall ornaments; third, men were men, you got in a fight and that was it. Many men carried knives but never pulled them on one another, because a fight was one thing, to kill was another. Then let's not go into the guns, many as late as my time, were raised around guns and they were respected.

As far as the gear, look, we all get what we want one way or another. It's like the big bad Harley riders, but these so called bad boys buy them for status. They don't ride them to Daytona, but rather truck them there in their pickups and trailers. They don the gear and live in their little make believe world for a weekend. Then it's pack'm up, take'm home and store them in their garage.

Wonder how many so called bikers, actually had a bike for a single means of transportation. I rode a bike for years as a single means of transport, when you boil it all down, it sucked. Because, you HAD to ride it in the cold, rain, super hot weather, and even in the snow.

So, you have your talkers and you have your doers. You can usually tell within the first few minutes of meeting them. On the USMC board we call them POSERS.

Blog Entries

Real men of the wilderness.

Now, I know men that are very good hunters and fisherman, but they are lousy fathers and husbands.

I know men who make large sums of money and can have almost anything they want and in some social circles, they are real men, but alas, some of these men also have girlfriends other than their wives.

So, the real man, what is it really?

In my book, the real man is the one that takes care of the family first, then lives his wilderness dreams.

I think what you are seeing today is the romantasiscm of the outdoors. It's like the young man who goes into the service to be a hero, but ends up dying with a bayonet lodged into his lungs. It's like Mt. Everest, years ago it was a true heros story, now, if you have enough money and are in fair shape, you are gauranteed to to reach the top. Granit, you can still make the ultimate sacrifice.

So there is this influx of people, trying to get back to something that they think they have lost. One of the ways to do it, is to go to one of the super sized stores that are more interested in your money than your well being.

Maybe this is a turning point in the American culture. Face it, Americans have always been considered the "John Waynes" of the world. For good reason.

I enjoyed Remy's post, it makes alot of sense. Had to read it twice though.LOL.
    Last edited by FVR; 10-05-2008 at 07:09 PM.

what happened to men ? lots my friend, as was stated 1 billion 100 years ago vs 7 billion now means more predators it is a fear based society now i used to dissapear all day and come home late at night, never a worry try that now, also we have been taught to be ashamed of our selves i blame oprah and dr phil and richard simmons. if you are assertive then you are classed as aggressive, ah so many things to say about this my head is spinning, in my generation when i got into fights i was sent to rehab have one beer put the kid in rehab, that and now we are so lost in our own worlds, i have said many times how materialistic we all our our sense of entitlement says be jealous of others that have more not happy for them, i feel sorry for the human race if i lost it all tommorrow the only thing i would mourn is my wife.
    i live in the moment and lately my moments are pushing more and more to the bush to challenge myself good thoughts my boy i will see ya'll soon again
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by klkak;75492[B
    Hope[/B],As to the young men and women who don't know anything about things wild. They were not raised close to the land. They and most likely their families were born and raise in the city. They have a desire but don't know where or how to fulfill it. Thats where you and I and the others here come in.

I am far from being a saint. I am guilty of being sarcastic to some folks. But that is my sin to answer for. Every man and woman of us who have wisdom should without hesitation share it with those who seek it. In doing so we help a few who in return may help a few more.
    Hope, I got what you were trying to say.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    Hope, I got what you were trying to say.
    Thank you neighbor, see you at the gunshow in Palmer this coming weekend.

I just gotta throw in here.

What problem do you have with the Boy Scouts? Hiking, Camping, Shooting, Rock Climbing, Archery, Fishing, even survival skills training are all Boy Scout activities. Remember that each troop is different, and while some troops go on hiking and camping trips every month some do not. This generally depends on the leadership in that troop. Often the leaders want to, But do not have any experience in the outdoors. Do not blame the Boy Scouts for this. What you can do is volunteer with a troop in your area, or have a local organization you are a member of ( Church, conservation organization, V.F.W. hall, etc. ) sponsor a troop and supply leadership with those skills and the desire to teach them to these boys. You really can make a difference in a kids life. And help protect the outdoor sports we all love by teaching a new generation of outdoorsmen. Estote Parati - Steve
    Stephen K. Wood

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Thank you neighbor, see you at the gunshow in Palmer this coming weekend.
    I'm gonna try to be there on Saturday. I'll be the guy with the V.N. era tiger stripe boonie hat.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Essence of men? They didn't have a choice. My guess is the fella that hiked to America in a parka that weighed 7.5 pounds had little choice in what his parka weighed. He was just glad to have a parka. And was he any less of a man because he wore that parka and not some animal hide that would have been the norm a couple of generations before him? Now those Neanderthals, those were men!!

Still, I see plenty of tough men all around me today. Guys that are single family parents. That's pretty tough in my book. Guys coming home from places like France, Burma, Korea, Viet Nam, Granada, Panama, Afghanistan, Iraq. Tough as nails, the whole bunch.

Men that still throw a baseball or football or take their kid fishing or whatever. Guys that take time with their families. That's pretty tough in my book, too.

There's still guys lugging chain saws in the Northwest or sweating on some oil rig in anytown USA. Still sandhogs working in New York and truck drivers all over this country. Still a lot of kids joining the service and coming home men...no matter what shape they come home in.

No, Hopeak. Men haven't changed much. Real men are still supporting their families and making a living and doing the "right" things in life. Just their options have changed making some of their choices a lot easier. Ask the guys that marched into the Hurtgen Forrest wearing wet wool if they would have preferred to do it in Goretex. My guess is yes, to the man.

Think about how much dirt you've moved with that dozer. Does it make you any less of a man because you did it with a dozer instead of a shovel? Nope. You just had the choice of an easier way to do it and you chose it. That makes you smart in my book, too.
    Last edited by Rick; 10-06-2008 at 05:34 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hope, I could grab what you're talking about, 'tis why I said what I said, but I believe wholeheartedly that the spirit is still there. The further people get from living close to the land on a daily basis, the harder it is for them to develop those basic skills that wilderness survival entails, so they come here. So those of us with some experience share, this is the modern day campfire brother. I posted what I did about that woman to show....it ain't about the equipment, she did what she had to do without modern equipment and what she had to do got easier for her with some modern equipment, ergo....use what's available to you has always been one of the first tenets of surviving to me. I wanted to take the conversation a bit away from the "man-up" thinking, cuz it ain't testosterone based, but yeah...it'll always be about the spirit.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Remy,
    Thank you for the well written, helpful, useful, and thread forwarding post, and I really appreciate it when you use normal man languaging.....Thank you

What shifted for men? Well, several things.

Office work became higher paying, so men migrated to higher paying office jobs. Their wives want more material things, so the men have to get more eduction and work harder to pay off credit cards. With little or no need to hunt, hunting became unnecessary for most families. With more people moving to cities, there was less exposure to the outdoors. Plus there's been less physical work being done by people, so they are out of shape in general.

With more disposable income, people just buy any equipment they think they need, or the experts tell them they need, instead of making it themselves.

Don't dump it off on women,men are just as guilty as women in wanting more material things,in that regard,I think men and women are equal,I do not think they are equal in all things though.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Remy's questions always get me thinking. Speaking of philosophers, when I picture a typical American philosopher, I see him as a hippie-type wearing tie-dyed shirt, sandals, and round sunglasses with long hair.

Why can't a modern philosopher wear a cowboy hat, a long leather coat, carry a 12 gauge, and smoke a fat stogie?

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Don't dump it off on women,men are just as guilty as women in wanting more material things,in that regard,I think men and women are equal,I do not think they are equal in all things though.
    I wasn't dumping it all on women. You are right, many men are quite materialistic too. Except for myself. It's just my nature.

And for the record, men and women ARE EQUALLY valuable. They just have different skills.

And for the record, men and women ARE EQUALLY valuable. They just have different skills.[/quote]

I'll concede that point.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)