Thread: Bug out bag.

Default Bug out bag.

Pardon me if this has been discussed here somewhere else. I'm assembling mine and would like some help. Could you list in order the priorities? Does the bag go everywhere with you? Thanks.

Gonna need a little better idea of your definition of a Bug out bag.
    What are bugging out from?
    Why?
    Reason?
    Where to?
    How long?
    Location? Cold north, desert, rain forest, city, farm land?

Bug out bag can be anything for a Smart phone and credit card....to a F-250 4X4 w/trailer ...enough gear and supplies to stat your country.

EDC...Every day carry....
    Can be what's in your pockets and belt to all sorts of bags pouches, vests.....again need a list of uses.

So lets start there....and remember someone else's need may be different than your?.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

+1 Hunter

We need more info. Your general location and whether you are urban, suburban, or rural would be helpful for a start. Also, are you looking more for a daily carry bag or a true emergency? Are you trying to get back home or get far away?

help us help you.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I'm in the Northwest. My goal is to have an emergency bag with enough supplies to last awhile. I have a general idea what I would need but was hoping to get input from others. Thanks.

Hear it rains a lot there.

Check out this site for a general list.
    http://bugoutbagacademy.com/free-bug-out-bag-list/

How are you planning to carry it?

My BOB are mostly disaster supplies....Layered.
    All coats have the basic....fire, knife, flashlight

My GOOD bag is also my travel bag duffle/gym style...clothes, FAK toiletries, Meds thumb drives with records, cash, water purification...
    I use this all the time....so if some thing was to happen to garb a go out of the house....I could run out naked and get dressed later.

EDC is wallet, phone, belt pouch, w/ flash light, Mini multi tool and fire kit and CCW.

Then comes hiking/day belt bags mission specific and special coats.

Alice pack with MRE/freeze dried food kits, 2-USGI canteen with cup and stove.....change of undies, socks. poncho, tube tent space blanket generally camping gear.

Trucks 4 wheel drives....lots if gear that stays there all the time....
    48" jacks, chain, snatch straps, ratchet straps, paracord, rope, hold down/ bungees shovels hatchets ax, trailer parts, tools kits, jumper cables, fuses, bulbs....flashlights....lighters...coats, coveralls, bibs rain coats, tent, truck firearms......other stuff.....

The 6'X12' trailer with my entire primitive camp....

Thanks for the info.

Bugging out to a hotel or relative's home is much different than bugging out to the woods. All of the things Hunter posted in #2 change the list to some extent.

Do you have children?
    Do you have special needs/illness?
    Do you have pets?

There is no one list.

As Hunter63 said, " ... cash..." I would add a credit card and toilet paper. Carrying $100.00 in fives and tens could come in very, very handy.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

LOL....almost thought I lied about this statement.....
    My GOOD bag is also my travel bag duffle/gym style...clothes, FAK toiletries, Meds thumb drives with records, cash, water purification...
    I use this all the time....so if some thing was to happen to garb a go out of the house....I could run out naked and get dressed later.

As I was using this bag in my travels this last week....and we headed home this morning.....I went for an entire change of clothes...and almost thought I didn't have shoes...but the hard soled slippers would have worked....LOL

I carry a messenger bag in my truck everywhere I go, that has enough of the essentials to keep me going for a night or 2, basically a get home bag. Then I have what most people refer to as a BOB, with a minimum 72 hours worth of food, supplies, cooking gear, clothes, and 3 of almost every essential, I hope I never have to use it!
    I carry a nice buck knife and a lighter, and cell phone in my pockets every day of the week! I also have a day bag with the bare essentials, just a light bag if I want to go for a walk. The messenger get home bag would also work as well but it stays in the truck!
    I only drive 8 miles to work and my messenger bag would get me through easily to get home if my truck broke down, or a disaster strikes. I am so glad I don't work in a large city! If I did I would carry a lot more gear and way more firepower!

My GHB is pretty much a BOB. If I had to walk home from work, I figure 3 days would do for me (It's pretty close to 60 miles and depends on if it is road or overland.) As far as anyone else is concerned that bag is my Go Bag in case I have to stay overnight for work somewhere. It just happens to be well stocked. Lets me pocket most of my per diem check too. Gotta keep the food items rotated.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    My GHB is pretty much a BOB. If I had to walk home from work, I figure 3 days would do for me (It's pretty close to 60 miles and depends on if it is road or overland.) As far as anyone else is concerned that bag is my Go Bag in case I have to stay overnight for work somewhere. It just happens to be well stocked. Lets me pocket most of my per diem check too. Gotta keep the food items rotated.
    .....and meds, batteries,

All replies are appreciated. Wildthang's idea is more what I'm asking about. An everyday bag that can get you by for a bit. Maybe if you get caught away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang
    I am so glad I don't work in a large city! If I did I would carry a lot more gear and way more firepower!

Way more firepower gets you noticed, which is the opposite of what you want. Concealed carry with way more ammo would be a better approach IMO. Just a thought. That's one of the reasons I don't have a vehicle long gun. I'm not toting it home in an emergency only to be considered a threat by anyone that sees me. Instead, I carry extra mags for my EDC to keep me out of harms way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Way more firepower gets you noticed, which is the opposite of what you want. Concealed carry with way more ammo would be a better approach IMO. Just a thought. That's one of the reasons I don't have a vehicle long gun. I'm not toting it home in an emergency only to be considered a threat by anyone that sees me. Instead, I carry extra mags for my EDC to keep me out of harms way.
    Was thinking more of upgrading from 9MM to 45ACP or .357 Mag

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Well, there is firepower,

and there is powerful fire.

Sometimes I find that to be a difficult decision, and I think I am in the process of changing my views on several aspects of that problem. Thank you FBI and S&W, for the .40 !

But the virtues of the BOB thing in the urban/suburban environment has eluded me every since the Boston bombings.

What was the first thing we were told to look for as we scan for potential terrorists?

Backpacks and baseball caps!

And I would equally avoid baggy cargo pants so you can stuff all those pockets full, which seems to be every-ones' answer to ditching the backpack.

What is the answer for toting your water bottle and extra samich?

Not sure. I will have to think about that.

What is the thing that will carry the most and attract the least attention in the middle of town???
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Well, there is firepower,

and there is powerful fire.

Sometimes I find that to be a difficult decision, and I think I am in the process of changing my views on several aspects of that problem. Thank you FBI and S&W, for the .40 !

But the virtues of the BOB thing in the urban/suburban environment has eluded me every since the Boston bombings.

What was the first thing we were told to look for as we scan for potential terrorists?

Backpacks and baseball caps!

And I would equally avoid baggy cargo pants so you can stuff all those pockets full, which seems to be every-ones' answer to ditching the backpack.

What is the answer for toting your water bottle and extra samich?

Not sure. I will have to think about that.

What is the thing that will carry the most and attract the least attention in the middle of town???
    I would think a messenger bag would attract a lot less attention, that is what I use for my EDC that stays in my truck most of the time! But its never farther than 200 feet away, well at least at work!
    My bag tucks in under my arm and doesn't look threatening at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    As Hunter63 said, " ... cash..." I would add a credit card and toilet paper. Carrying $100.00 in fives and tens could come in very, very handy.
    S.M.
    I routinely carry $200 in cash -- Six $10's, six $5's, ten $1's (and five $20's). Rest assured that, when the SHIP hits the SAND, the ones and fives will be the first to go. Please recognize that, if you need a roll of toilet paper and you only have a $50 bill, the value of said item becomes $50...!

Also, once the aforementioned SHIP hits said SAND, credit cards are only useful for opening doors and scraping ice from windshields.

Happy days,

-- Spooky Ol' Joe
    Last edited by Spooky Ol' Joe; 12-07-2015 at 04:49 PM.