Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Survival situation scenario (Beginner)

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know what you mean klkak, grass hoppers rule
    Last edited by erunkiswldrnssurvival; 10-04-2008 at 12:33 AM.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    I know what you mean klkak, The injury is almost un bearable to the victim. to be wet, cold,injured and in the wilderness,is a rough time. the seconds that pass seem like hours.
    if i had a friend in that position I would pile up tree boughs or moss (even wet) for bedding, secure the victims condition as much as possible, my mile away camp would have to come to the victim,and so would the standard attempts to secure help, (signaling) call someone,something that would be a suitable solution to "GET HELP", leaving the victim alone is not an option.
    careful use of the equipment would help to stableize the condition, but additional food and items would be nessesary on the next or following days.
    It appears you submitted this post in the wrong thread.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Blog Entries

well mabe i did,
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Never let your tent and sleeping bag go on any flight but the one your body is on. If the plane crashes you'll need your bag, or the pilot can use it, if your a gone'er.

No professional Alaska Bush Pilot would ever leave someone without tent and bag and food.
    Diddo! And if they want to, you shouldn't let them!
    Stephen K. Wood

Blog Entries

OK people this thread is not about what a professional guide would or would not do. It is not about what you would have had with you.

This is something for you to think hard about. It gives you the opportunity to achieve a goal by improvising.

Use your imagination and put yourself on that island. By vaguely covering what you would do, does not help anyone who may read this thread and it may indicate you are not as ready or informed as you think you are.

Blog Entries

First I would set up a shelter that is closed on three sides,all of my equipment would go into storage mode. certain trees would be torn apart to make a few hunting tools, razor sparp splinters are good.food is seldom a problem,the alaskan islands offer a profusion of plants to eat. then thier is mushrooms, wildlife on land and the sea.it is a smorgasboard of food even the bladarac sea weed is awsome.sea lettuce, that region is pact full of food and adventure.to compare alaska to some other places i have survived, alaska is food town.lets not forget bull kelp.the pine tree,sumac,and the rabbits foot clover.
    Last edited by erunkiswldrnssurvival; 10-04-2008 at 01:18 AM.
    The Mountain Breaks you.

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    First I would set up a shelter that is closed on three sides,all of my equipment would go into storage mode. certain trees would be torn apart to make a few hunting tools, razor sparp splinters are good.food is seldom a problem,the alaskan islands offer a profusion of plants to eat. then thier is mushrooms, wildlife on land and the sea.it is a smorgasboard of food even the bladarac sea weed is awsome.sea lettuce, that region is pact full of food and adventure.to compare alaska to some other places i have survived, alaska is food town.lets not forget bull kelp.the pine tree,sumac,and the rabbits foot clover.
    erunkis, Food and water isn't the problem, as stated you have both food and water left with you and you only have to last until morning. That's not the scenario, for you to do some harvesting.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    erunkis, Food and water isn't the problem, as stated you have both food and water left with you and you only have to last until morning. That's not the scenario, for you to do some harvesting.
    Thank you for your help GW.

This is an example of closing ones self up in a "survival box".

erunkis, please don't be offended. A considerable number of folks have specific area's where they have a stronger knowledge. (Yours seems to be centered around foraging). There is nothing wrong with this unless other skill's suffer.

Everyone: When faced with a situation like this it is best to stop for a moment. It is at this time you would inventory all your gear. Consider the terrain and weather. Start formulating a plan. To survive in this scenario you may want to consider the following.

Do I need a shelter?
    If so, where will I put it?
    How will I construct it?
    Do I need a fire?
    If so, How will I start it?
    Do I "need" food and water to make it through the night?

I invite the other instructors on the forum to provide constructive input to anyone participating in these scenario's.

Sort of like herding cats, aint it Klklak?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Yea, kinda

Well I joined the forum to answer this question. I hope to remain active and be involved with other posts as well

What would I do?

Being as it is below freezing the 1st thing that I would do is to put on the waterproof pants and parka for immediate protection from the weather. I would also put on the wool cap and glove liners for the time being to avoid frostbite as I work.

My 2nd priority is to make an expedient shelter, which I quickly set up with the plastic tarp and rope between 2 trees 8 feet apart in an "A-Frame" design. This is about 1/2 way down to the beach and on the edge of a wooded piece. My "home for the night" is about 3' high by 5' deep with the back place next to one of the trees. This gives me a place to lean back to sleep (while not extremely comfortable.. it will suffice for one night) For the time being I will stow my gear under the shelter to remain as dry as possible.

Next I will light my fire....

I prepare 4 or 5 "Fuzz sticks" from some wood that I find off the ground (standing dead wood). I also find some dry Pine Needles by digging under a tree and some fine branches on the bottom that are pretty dry still. I also find a bit if pitch. I lay all of these under my tarp's edge near the front into a "fire lay with 2/3 of the Pine Needles nearest the ground to keep ground moisture out of my fire. Next I lay the Fuzz sticks and then on top of them the twigs. I have gathered some more "Squawwood" and layed it nearby to dry off as I work. I also open the Day pack up and put on the overhead cordage as a small shelter over my "to be" fireplace just outside the shelter.

First.. I will cut from the cotton underwear a 2"X2" square. I then take a .22 round, open it with my Leatherman, and remove about 3/4 of the powder laying it on the remaining cotton from the Underwear on the fire lay under the edge my tarp. I stuff the 2"x2" square of cotton into the shell with the 1/4 powder remaining and fire the shell off. It will in turn light the cotton square.

I take this burning cloth and quickly light the cotton on the fire lay, adding the rest of the Pine Needles to the burning mass. Once everything is burning well I move it just outside my shelter onto 4 pieces of Squawwood (to keep it from ground moisture). I keep it shielded with my body until it is burning well. For the next 10 - 15 mins I am consumed with keeping the fire going... adding larger and larger wood (Which I have skinned with my knife) until it is self maintained.

I also grabbed a few Pine Needles from off the tree to much on while I was working. I take a handful of these.. and put into the water bottle. I then place this near the fire to warm up into some refreshing tea. As it is warming I eat the Trailmix.

At this point I will dress down so as not to overheat. Probably the wool cap, and the Polypro long underwear... with the wool socks will suffice. If I get too cool I can always add more layers. I will now put the waterproof pants on the ground... folded as a small groundcloth to sit on. I add some more wood to the fire and lean back against the tree to get a few hours of sleep before I get up to stoke the fire again.

- SoarnEagle

Looking forward to your posts SoarnEagle. When you get a chance how 'bout heading over to the introduction section and tell us about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

SoarnEagle, That was a detailed answer. Thank you for participating.

Blog Entries

I am preparing a few more scenario's. The next set will be much simpler in all three categories.