Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wanting to learn hunting and trapping

and of course, if people are out there to only kill the absolute best of the best of the males of any species, eventually they'll weaken the species won't they...because the less than the best are the ones now breeding.

and...nothing wrong with a .270 as far as I know.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Trax-Alot of people think a .270 is a little small for elk, moose, bear, etc... O'Conner proved that a with well placed shot it was a great caliber.

Also, about killing the best of the best...again O'Conner was well thought out. He believed that if you only hunted the true giants, and kept restraint and only killed the real trophies- that so few animals would be harvested (because of their rarity) that game populations would increase. He also reasoned that "trophies" didn't necessarily account for an unusual number of breedings...just the typical amount for there species, so there genes are not disproportinate in the gene pool. Also, its been documented in many species (elk, rams, deer, etc...) that often times when the big males are sparring with other big males that smaller males (satellite bulls) are in the background breeding the females.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    Also, its been documented in many species (elk, rams, deer, etc...) that often times when the big males are sparring with other big males that smaller males (satellite bulls) are in the background breeding the females.
    heheheheheheh, clever little buggers, I'm proud of 'em.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Seems as though some of the elk, rams and deer scored higher on the IQ test than the gorillas.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That was always my approach in high school. While all the big studs were playing Friday Night Football, I was in the bleachers making their girlfriends laugh. It paid off a time or two.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

And it takes the biggest and best animals out of the gene pool leaving lesser animals to serve at the apex for that specie.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And it takes the biggest and best animals out of the gene pool leaving lesser animals to serve at the apex for that specie.

That is assuming that they never bred...most likely since they are at the height of their maturity they have done alot of breeding already...but, being harvested at their very prime, means that they are about to begin their decline in physicality and sexuality.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rick, is just upset, because he is past his prime, and does not want to be harvested..........

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    I wish I did not know how to crash aircraft, endure 115 MPH wind in a eureka tent, have dozens of camps destroyed by brown bears, shared a tent with buttholes, deal with insubordinate, arrogant assistant guides, had blood from backing fresh meat all over my body, and no water to wash, gone into the alder thickets after wounded brown bears. shivered for weeks at -30 below zero, destroyed thousands of dollars worth of personal equipment. Packed meat for weeks on end, fed millions of mosquito's, and white socks. been stuck on a cliff to scared to go up or down. Packed two Dall Sheep off the mountain in one 200# plus load. Get up at 3:AM fix breakfast, work till 10:PM all the time sicker than a dog, (there are no sick days in the field). Be stuck in a tent with someone you don't know, who starts crying and telling you about how two weeks ago he and another guy killed someone. Having someone commit suicide, because you caught them going through clients gear looking for drugs. Be bear bited. My coffee is ready, or I could go on for pages.
    Jeez man, eff all that. I just wanna get away from the Matrix Speaking of all that chaos though, has anyone ever read the book called, "Into Thin Air"? Freaking amazing book. Did you know that there are probably 10's of dead bodies on the trail to the summit and no one can get them down for proper burrial because at that altitude you are barely strong enough to pull yourself along the way much less another 200lb body... Anyhow its a good book.

Joel

Well I let a doe walk the other day and a 6 point Buck, too. I don't like guys who will shoot the first thing that walks by then ***** that there are no good bucks in the woods anymore. In order to have good bucks, you need to let the little ones walk, take a dry doe for meat. I hunt big game, and some times it gets muddled we fight to much among ourselves, ie hunting for big racks are wrong, no its not, a buck deer or Bull elk that has lived long enough to grow big enough antlers to go to the book, has passed his genes on, 6 or 7 year old Deer or Elk is on the back side of the curve. My last big buck I shot was a well passed prime white tail, maybe 8 years old, and was not going to make it thru the winter, shot him post rut, no fat the old guy what just worn out. He was one of the very best deer I ever taken. It was Elgin Gates not Jack O'Connor, tho he wrote well that defined the Modern World Traveling Hunter of note. Hunted the Golden Age, 1946 to 1975. Its different now, on one hand we have a lot more game to hunt in North America, and on the other hand, to many don't have the time. As for money well, I got news for you Big Game Hunting was never a cheap sport, be it deer on your own land here in CT or Elk on the Apache Reservation in New Mexico. What dose not cost in money is going to cost in time and somethings it takes both a lot of money and a lot of time. Jack use to hunt elk, and they were 30 day pack trips with horses and the whole lot, cost a bunch of cash for the time and to do today you would need a lot of money. On the other hand, there are more Elk around than in his day. It evens out some I guess. One thing I do know is that once a buck gets pass three years of age they almost always move in the dark and bed during the day light hours. Guys have a great hunting season no matter where and what you hunt. It's suppose to recharge the batteries if you will.

shot a doe last saterday that was 4 1/2 years old. doubt awful much she woulda made it through winter. she was missing teeth and had gray hairs. she dressed out at about 155lbs. good eating right there, and a good deer to take out of the herd as she could no longer carry no less ween fawns come spring. id also like to add that after all this animal has gone through, all the seasons it has survived, the young it has raised, and the predatores it has evaded...this doe is no less "trophy" than a 12 pt. buck and i respect just as much.
    -cory
    "Go ye to the wilds, to its waters and woods. For it is good to live thus" -Stanley S. Hawbaker

That's cool. Respect for the animal is important in my book. nice post, Cory.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

thanks rick, i find it hard to hunt with other people sometimes because of their complete lack of respect for their quarry. if this animal is going to give its life than you must recognize that you have an emense responsibility to take it cleaning and humanly as possible. reguardless of its rack or lack of. this is something that was instilled in me since day one by my father and the few ppl i chose to hunt with. i dont mean to rant but the things i here and some of the things i see in the way people conduct themselves when pursueing game absolutly disgusts me. to deprive and animal of its life, to sustain your own, is a gift and should be treated as so. call me spiritual, or w/e you want but thats just the way i am and the way i always will be. its nice to see other's on this forum with the same thinking.
    -cory
    "Go ye to the wilds, to its waters and woods. For it is good to live thus" -Stanley S. Hawbaker

You're not ranting Cory, you are amongst a lot of like minded people.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

so ive noticed crash lol, its a nice change!

hemingway.. If your going to target shoot in order to practice for a live hunt I would highly recommend that you practice regulating your breathing in order to control your heart rate. Maybe take 10-15 quick breaths to get your heart racing then take at least 4 deep slow breaths while you aim to bring your heart rate back down and to help oxygen to get to your muscles so you will shake less. Squeeze the trigger very slowly and only on the middle of an exhale. I try to squeeze slowly enough that I'm surprised when the gun fires.

I say this because the first time you see a trophy buck your heart rate will jump probably 40 bpm and that will seriously effect your concentration and accuracy.

I wouldn't repeat this process too often or you may pass out

hemmingway-
    what kinda weapon are you lookin into getting here anyway? rifle, shotgun, handgun? all 3? or maybe even a bow? although i do love them id take a firearm over a bow for alaska.