Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to learn hunting and trapping

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    That is why Hunting Guides are sometimes called "Hunting Whores". ... If you look at it one way, anyone who does work for money is a whore. ...
    Well personally I always wanted to be a just the regular old kind of whore, but apparently I would have starved to death so...that didn't work out.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled PG14 programming and apologize for the interruption.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Old ones would starve, Trax. It's the young ones that make the money.....so I hear.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Well personally I always wanted to be a just the regular old kind of whore, but apparently I would have starved to death so...that didn't work out.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled PG14 programming and apologize for the interruption.
    Oh really??? Somehow,I don't think you would have starved.........
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Well, back in his "younger" days......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well now......ok Trax.I'll shut up now......
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

"whew" thought I was going to have to drop my bag of quarters on Rick's head.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Nickels? You did say nickels, right?

Was gonna ask which cheapskate gave you a quarter.....guess it was all of em.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I could teach a person how to stalk, dress animals, shoot and lots of other good stuff. But I don't get any enjoyment out of killing just for a trophy. I have seen deer killed for their rack only and a few killed for head mounts. These I just ran across in the woods. I see nothing wrong in taking any game in or out of season if one needs food. At my present age I don't get a rush out of killing anymore. If you do, have at it, I don't.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I have no desire for trophy hunting. Simply put, I want to develop the skills so I am cable of getting food in the bush.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
    I have no desire for trophy hunting. Simply put, I want to develop the skills so I am cable of getting food in the bush.
    What about a trophy wife, trophy home, write the great American novel, trophy education, trophy job or career, trophy stock portfolio.....? Here is a question why have any desirer's. What ever is, is perfect.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 10-05-2008 at 06:50 AM.

What about a trophy wife, trophy home, write the great American novel, trophy education, trophy job or career, trophy stock portfolio.....? Here is a question why have any desirer's. What ever is, is perfect.
    HopeAK, did you put your philosopher boots on today?
    The maximum effective range of a excuse is.......
    -----------0-----------METERS----------------

Blog Entries

Are you a more successful hunter if you shoot a big ol 12pt buck or a big doe?

Gonna eat better if you shoot the doe.

May get a few tools out of the 12pt rack. Ah, with the trohy deer, you can brag of just how much of a man you are, kind of like an extension of your penis.

Trophy hunters are what will eventually kill the hunting seasons. They start growing their deer, then baiting them, then killing them just to have a head mounted on their wall. It's not about eating wild game anymore, but rather a wall hanger. The areas with deer are then leased, to bait, to grow. Slowly the land you could hunt gets sold, public land also starts getting sold or leased. If you can find some, it's usually over crowded.

The future lends itself to those who want to hunt, must have alot of money.

Fvr I'm with ya on these so called Trophy hunters................Well they are NOT hunters
    they go for GLORY TRASH talk look at my deer head aint he a big one! And then they tell you of the great hunt useing dogs, calls, bait, salt licks and so on and so on. What has happen to finding a deer trail or a good cossing? These guys will not leave the freaking ROAD! They will spend $34000 on a four wheel drive.............Just to look COOL on thier way to work. Most of these guys have never been in the woods or if they have it was on a interstate hiway!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is why Hunting Guides are sometimes called "Hunting Whores". You have a skill, and someone pays to use it,
    I have never thought of myself as a whore, even from my very first job at 10 years old. I am lucky to have, for the most part the same clients for years. The same fresh water fisherman and the same hunters. The past few years I've wound up taking on some new clients, photographers, yea they're looking for the best shot too! They help my income between seasons.

I am on board with Leave No Trace. I make their excursions safer. I don't allow anything that is not legal, and I can't be bought to look the other way. In any job, there are people that are good and honest, and then there are people that are lazy, lie and steal. Guess it's always a mater of morels and work ethics...

Why do people hire tour guides in foreign places. Why do people hire real estate agents to find a new home. Why do people hire contractors to build their homes. I could go on, but it just comes down to 'it's not their line of work, or knowledge'.
    Last edited by Gray Wolf; 10-05-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Gray Wolf - you make an important distinction. In business there are those that for $$$ will leave their ethics at the door. This is not unique to hunting guides. Unfortunately it is prevalent in much of society today, and regardless of the industry will cause harm.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm with everyone here against trophy hunting. What amuses me though are the fake hunters who go to hunting expos and buy the mounts, hang them over the fireplace and tell stories about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    I'm with everyone here against trophy hunting. What amuses me though are the fake hunters who go to hunting expos and buy the mounts, hang them over the fireplace and tell stories about it.
    I thought that was our little secret.

Just a note on "trophy hunting" ethics that should at least be mentioned for those of you who arent familiar with the philosophies and merits of the pursuit. Jack O'Conner is considered by some to be the dean of modern trophy hunting...however, his original ethos has been corrupted.

For O'Conner trophy hunting was considered the most evolved type of hunting, and the most ethical and sporting of all hunting- the reason being was it showed the most restraint. O'Conner only hunted male animals at the peak of their life...basically when they were at their biggest and baddest in their life cycle. O'Conner would set his goals on a rack of a certain caliber and spend days, months or even years in search for that perfect specimen that was at the peak of form. He showed restraint because he would pass up so many other "lesser" animals- in search of the one trophy. He reasoned that he had to learn more about his quarry... he had to spend more time in the field...and basically had to be a better hunter and be more ethical than your average meat hunter, because he had a set criteria that had to be met before he'd pull the trigger. I can see what he means...trophy hunting in its purist form is "sporting" and in fact, a true trophy hunter could hunt for years and years and never even kill anything.

However, O'Conner prophesized that his passion would be corrupted...he wrote that by putting a numerical value on racks, that hunting would develop into an ego contest and overly competitive people would not hunt the animals out of appreciation and admiration- but to fulfill their ego. I agree.

Another interesting thing about O'Conner was his love for the .270 he killed all kinds of really big game with that caliber.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

[QUOTE=Jason_Montana;78368]

However, O'Conner prophesized that his passion would be corrupted...he wrote that by putting a numerical value on racks, that hunting would develop into an ego contest and overly competitive people would not hunt the animals out of appreciation and admiration- but to fulfill their ego. I agree.

These are the guys I can't handle. Makes me want to hunt them.