View Poll Results: Who is the better survivor?

Voters
309. You may not vote on this poll
  • Les Stroud

263 85.11%
  • Bear Grylls

46 14.89%
Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Thread: Survivorman/Man vs. Wild.

Why not close this thread?.....we have people arguing with people from 5 years ago.......Some never forget....
    If some one ants they can start over??//Maybe?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I saw there was a post in it and I thought Holy Cow! Nearly 900 posts on such a bizarre subject. Over that now. Just one guy arguing to make himself feel good. I'll leave it open.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

OK......Kinda like watching an ant hill........

Blog Entries

Cool Uh, dude...?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Randy View Post
    I just ran across this. Even though it's been a few years since you deemed it important to be that much of an *** I thought I'd just let you know that it is commonly thought of as a sign of maturity and intelligence to be able to debate someone with a different opinion without being insulting. But take heart, not everyone is cut out to be polite....or in your case...civil...You don't like Bear G....OK, we get it. Neither blind or stupid. Just reporting what I've worked on for the producers of his show and trying to explain how "editiing" works on TV. But hey. You got a phone call about a dead kangaroo, so that makes you an expert based on one experience and some obvious, ignorant assumptions. Please try and not hurt yourself when youfinally agree to the worlds request **********************
    If you'd of clicked on S.O.E.'s profile page you'd of found this in the left hand column: "Last Activity: 10-11-2007 7:00AM. What that means is that the dude has been gone for about 4 years! Back then there were no mods and S.O.E. was quick to "flame" anybody that disagreed with him! However he did make a substantial contribution to the site; from him we got the cool word "Numpty," which is UK for idiot!" (Sigh) great times!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I think that all the shows have something to offer. Of course things are different if you're with a camera crew. But they post disclaimers at the beginning of each episode. All of them are in a way "demos" of what can be experienced in the bush. Even the one Bear put on with the trucks and equipment doing the wind experiment to show the use of a snow cave for survival in blustery conditions. That's what they're about. And don't forget that in a couple of the episodes of Man Woman Wild she actually got sick due to the conditions and hypothermic in another. I don't believe they sat down to lunch between takes.

So take them for what they are. At least they don't try to vote each other off the island like another show I could mention. When my wife and I tuned in to the first episode of that one, we expected to see something similar to what these shows brought to TV. Needless to say, a second episode has never shown in this house.
    USN/USNTC/SD

When trebuchets are outlawed, only outlaws will have trebuchets.

Greetings from the Kingdom of An Tir and the Baroney of the 3 Mountains.

Although I like watching both Survivorman and Man vs. Wild I have come to realize that you can't compare the two.

Survivorman is just what the name implies. A man that goes and survives for a week then rendezvous with his crew. Because it is a TV show the crew stays within a certain distance as a safety net, but doesn't come to Les' aid unless (no pun intended) he is in a life threatening situation. He displays the skills and knowledge of survival and films it himself to stay true to the concept of the show and the shows name.

Man vs. Wild on the other hand NEVER says anything about "survival" it is just A MAN VERSUS THE WILD. A la this is just a show of entertainment where a guy runs around in wilderness trying to overcome whatever the wilderness has to offer in radical and entertaining ways. It is and never was meant to be a survival show. It is just a man trying to overcome whatever the wilderness has to offer.

Think of it this way. There is a mountain... Les Stroud's goal is to SURVIVE on that mountain for a week. Bear Grylls' goal is to climb to the top of it and glasade down as fast as possible.

Well I cant say that I haven't learned anything from both of those shows, and that's not all bad. Those guys are just making money being on television and probably lot's of it. Would you take that job if it was offered to you at ( I'm guessing ) $200,000 per show? I would in a heart beat!
    I must say that I would rather watch those shows as a heck of a lot of other stuff on TV, like Drag Races, Bridezilla, Orange County Coppers, and an unending list of garbage telivision!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    OK......Kinda like watching an ant hill........
    Should we start pulling out a magnifying glass?!

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Should we start pulling out a magnifying glass?!
    It's out already,.......LOL
    Ant hills go about their business until someone kicks it, and then the frantic scurry.....begins....over and over again.

Blog Entries

I'm a big Baden Powell fan! He taught me everything I need to know about survival!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Les stroud is my hero! Bear has some good knowledge but we're not all special forces. Les teaches you to stop and think about what your doing not just jump off a cliff into a freezing river.

if i had to be stranded in the wild and those were the choices for who else is there....les stroud all day long hands down.

I don't know anything about Les Stroud as I've never watched the show but I'd take my chances that he is less of a phony as Bear. Also, it's cool you resurrected a thread that hasn't been active in exactly (almost to the hour) three years. Long live the argument thread!
    Last edited by Iskander; 02-22-2015 at 02:55 AM. Reason: !

Quote Originally Posted by Jolls44 View Post
    Les stroud is my hero! Bear has some good knowledge but we're not all special forces. Les teaches you to stop and think about what your doing not just jump off a cliff into a freezing river.
    I agree. I have only seen one or two of Bear Grylls' shows, but from what I have seen, I do not approve. Not that I am an expert, but from what I can gather, Les Stroud has a lot more practical survival tips and advice than Bear Grylls. I've seen quite a bit of Les Stroud's work and I think that he is a better "survivalist".

i find them as shows, eventhough they do teach you how to make shelters find water and food, but they do not actually show or tell you how laborious or how long and laborious each process are.
    I have tried to make primitive emergency shelters and let me tell you..it takes too long, too many materials and very laborious. In the heat, you will drain yourself. To male a bamboo shelter will see you cutting at least 50 pieces of 20 feet bamboo poles, especially when you have to sleep of the ground.
    To thatch a palm leave shelter for an adult, you will need at least 60 pieces of palm leaves.
    Imagine how long the cutting will take, the transporting and the time taken to construct.
    You will need a cutting tool.
    As I am teaching, I always tell my students to be ready. A hammock, tarp and a fire making kit is essential and one shuld be ready with them at all times when you go hiking, even for a day hike.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Voted for Les Stroud but would have absolutely no problem in a situation with Cody Lundin[sp?] Now that there would be a great show having those 2 work together.
    "Failing to plan is Planning to fail"

If I was trying to fight off or evade an enemy force of some sort, I'd rather have Bear by my side. All other survival situations I'd rather be sitting next to Les

.....and a way we goooooooo......

Not gonna do it. No sir. Not me.

Well seems the Les is in the lead a 260 to 46 in the poll......and a lot of voters haven't been around for a long time.....?
    The votes still count?

Just realized I hadn't voted....guess I was waiting for Ruth's name to show up.

One more for Les.....