View Poll Results: Who is the better survivor?

Voters
309. You may not vote on this poll
  • Les Stroud

263 85.11%
  • Bear Grylls

46 14.89%
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Survivorman/Man vs. Wild.

Blog Entries

Eating raw fish, kind of funny. So, your in the backwoods where you boil or treat your water prior to drinking. But you're so hungry that you are going to eat raw fish, pulled out of water that ya don't know if it's safe to drink.

You figure that the average Joe burns what, a min. of 3000 cals a dayoing nothing. A one pound fish is going to give you close to 200 cals, don't think I would spend too much time and energy fishing. Fighting a losing battle. Dont' think I could honestly eat 10 plus fish a day. Well, unless it's salmon.

At least Survivorman keeps it real and does fail, because in the wilderness, we all fail at something. Nothing ever goes perfectly.

Boy what a burn .... I just watched the Man VS. Wild show tonight where skippy goes thru the Flordia EverGlades .... the oping shot has him standing on the edge of a chopper, and he quite manly raps off the skid down to the ground. (wow. of course having taught climbing for 2 years - zzzzzz) Anyway, on the way down the rope he has .....
    - a knife
    - a firelighter
    - a plastic waterbottle

THEN later on he has to drink ... so he very cleverly fills up his shirt and drains the water in to a vessel. Now the fun part .... he magicly explains HWO to purify the water to drink....Oh! - How you ask? Why by boiling it kids, everyone knows that to purify water you boil it.

Wow what a great lesson ....my only question is WHERE DID THE METAL BILLY TIN COME FROM TO BOIL THE WATER !?!

He onnly had the three items he said he had going down the rope. What a crock ....it's stuff like that, that proves his show and him are crap!

Sorry Bear ... go hire someone to run "continuity" checks on your show, fictional movies can afford it so can you ..... (grin)

Sorry but my two cents, let me get down off my soapbox by rappelling.
    I saw it in a really cool show!

Cheers'
    Gumby

Boy what a burn .... I just watched the Man VS. Wild show tonight where skippy goes thru the Flordia EverGlades .... the oping shot has him standing on the edge of a chopper, and he quite manly raps off the skid down to the ground. (wow. of course having taught climbing for 2 years - zzzzzz) Anyway, on the way down the rope he has .....
    - a knife
    - a firelighter
    - a plastic waterbottle

THEN later on he has to drink ... so he very cleverly fills up his shirt and drains the water in to a vessel. Now the fun part .... he magicly explains HWO to purify the water to drink....Oh! - How you ask? Why by boiling it kids, everyone knows that to purify water you boil it.

Wow what a great lesson ....my only question is WHERE DID THE METAL BILLY TIN COME FROM TO BOIL THE WATER !?!

He onnly had the three items he said he had going down the rope. What a crock ....it's stuff like that, that proves his show and him are crap!

Sorry Bear ... go hire someone to run "continuity" checks on your show, fictional movies can afford it so can you ..... (grin)

Cheers'
    Gumby

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    - a knife
    - a firelighter
    - a plastic waterbottle

Cheers'
    Gumby

OK, First off, Bear uses a canteen that has a removable metal bottom. This is the "vessel" that he drains the water into. Next, who cares about rappelling? Give me 5 minutes to teach you how, and I bet you could easily rappel as far as Bear did. Bear is my hero- I love his show. He shows you what to do if something really bad happens. (For instance, falling in a frozen lake, or a crevasse) AND, Les stroud only has to survive for 7 days, then he gets picked up by his buddies. Bear has to get out of wherever the heck they dropped him. For instance in the Alaska episode, he is surviving for at least 11 days. This, and the fact that he is just a total beast in general, puts my favorite on Man Vs. Wild over Survivorman.

Default Survivorman Over Man vs Wild

I prefer Survivorman because Les does not have the extensive military training that Bear does (British Special Forces). I personally do not have any military training and a lot of things that Bear accomplishes cannot be done by the average joe. I recall one episode in which Bear takes on the Moab Desert in Utah. In one segment he proceeds to climb out of a crevasse filled with a pool of water. I know for a fact that most people I know are not that limber or strong. Survivorman applies to even people who are "below" average in physical fitness. I am absolutely positive that I could not swim in 50 degree water under a huge pile-up of branches and then have enough stamina to climb up a 30 foot crevasse. Survivorman is more my style.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Tony uk View Post
    I like Bear Grills hes good at what he does, also Ray Mears is good but he does mostly things about how tribes live and survive other that real survival

So i like Man vs Wild best
    bear and his man vs wild show sucks

listen to half the stuff bears does and u will be dead in a day, o and back to the florida glades i love how a four foot stick is going to save u from a 12 foot gator. also his little demo on how to get out of a muddy sink hole the sory about a jogger that got stuck in one okkkkk, why the hell is any one runny threw a mucky swap for enjoyment. but i give u props on not taking a camping trailer with u.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHorDIE View Post
    Heres the deal. . . Man vs Wild pretty much shows you what not to do. survivorman shows you what he would do. every situation is diffrent but the goal is to get found and not get hurt witch i think is displayed more in survivorman. the dude in man vs wild showed us that you should climb a 40 foot tree in the jungle to get a better look around, real smart, that show is a joke. atleast survivorman is believable and solo.if they got in a fight against one another survivor man would beat him senseless and live of his corpse for weeks. someone is going or allready did get hurt taking advice from man vs bloated entertainment industry.. . . . . .oh sorry . . . .wild
    I disagree to the fullest degree. Suvivorman is a Canadian Musician, and "BEAR" they don't call him bear for nothing, is EX-SAS which is British Special forces and the only other special forces in the world more badass then the SAS would be the Navy Seals, and the Russian Spetznas. The guy climbed mt. everest when he was 23 years old, and is a bad ***. Don't let his show fool you he is no dummy and I find a lot of useful things on his show.

My vote is for BEAR

damn Canadians

Blog Entries

I see you buy into the Navy Seal propoganda.

Good for you.

Bear is very entertaining, but he does stunts that would put normal Joe's in danger.

He takes chances that if he was still in the SAS, he would be thrashed.

Default Decisions, Decisions.

Les knows what he's doin. but so does Bear.
    But... Bear most likley has to take off two months from "work" to recover from all the crap he puts in his body. Les makes thoughs awsome little traps that work great, so he gets to eat at least a little meat. better than pine needles...
    I'm basicly torn. Like 'em both. i watch both to "prepare" myself. haha.

Take a knife whenever you go on a nature walk! You might get lost!!

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    I see you buy into the Navy Seal propoganda.

Good for you.

Bear is very entertaining, but he does stunts that would put normal Joe's in danger.

He takes chances that if he was still in the SAS, he would be thrashed.
    My uncle was a Navy Seal, and trust me they are the real deal. I feel sorry for the average joe who can't climb a tree.

No disrespect but I feel Bear deserves more Respect and I don't think people realize what the guy has done and can do.
    BEAR Grylls would eat Les Stroud like Canadian Bacon

Blog Entries

Navy Seals are the real deal in the water. No other service in the world can touch them. But, they are portrayed as supermen in the movies, and they are not.

I have trained with the Seals and Green Berets in Panama and on land, in the jungle, the Green Berets are much superior.

As far as Bear is concerned, he indicated in a show last weekend that his parachute fall happened when he was 21, he then climbed Everest when he was 23.

Looking up the British Army requ's and then the SAS requ's, it looks like they have 24 weeks of bootcamp which is phase I, then they go to school which is phase II. They then vol. for SAS and have to go through a three phase selection process.

After they complete the selection, their training starts.

Not taking away from Bear's accomplishments, sounds pretty tough, but........looking at the requ. physical fitness, it's actually not as hard as some units in the US.

I wonder when Bear had his accident, was it in the training phase or later in his short lived career.

Seems to me, to get in the US Special Forces, it's a might bit harder. Most Marines that I know that have made it that far, it had taken them their second enlistment and have completed numerous warfare schools.

His advertisement of the SAS and Everest is what it is, a sales pitch.

To put down a musician is kind of arrogant. Military survival and what Bear does are completely different. I have a few friends who were Special Forces Officers, oh they are BAD. Yeh, they can pretty much kill you, close or far. Yet only one of them I believe could survive in the Rocky's for a winter. Why, not because of what he learned in the service, but rather what he learned out of the service.

I would also mention that I know of many non prior military pers. that can and would out perform Bear, not only physically but in the survivalist mode. He has a crew that makes sure he knows what he can eat when he is in the field. Many know more without a crew because they just do.

I say Semper Fi to your uncle. As a Recon Marine, I've had the fortune to tangle with the Seals in a bar in Coronado. It was hell, but it was also fun.

Tell your uncle to visit TWS Navy and sign up. He may run into a few old friends.
    Last edited by FVR; 06-22-2007 at 07:28 PM. Reason: add. info.

FVR, I'm not trying to start a fight as to who is better than whom of the worlds special forces, but you may be surprised to know that every one of the big 3 U.S. Special Forces units will all gladly head to the Air Force' P.J.'s (Para Rescue Jumpers) as the end-all/be-all in terms of will power. That's all special forces is and are (aside from specific battle, weapons, and tactics training) Its all about will power, pushing on after your body doesn't want to. That's what a survivor is. But, I just felt they deserve honorable mention, since the all the best-of-the-best readily admonish P.J.'s as "the best"

Now, that aside, I too prefer Stroud over Grylls. But just because its marketed as "A survival show" you also have to take into account this is television...
    A true to life cop drama - wouldn't sell.
    A mechanics true to life real car movie - wouldnt' sell
    And an honest to goodness survival show - wouldn't sell

As much as all of us would love it and be glued to the t.v., we are not the majority of the public.

So, you have to take into account that when Grylls goes out and does what he does, some of it is survival, some of it is television ratings. Although it's less desired in terms of survival, eating a raw fish straight from a river, or going head first into a Zebra lion-style envokes the "EWWW" factor that gets ratings, because normal people are impressed and tell their friends "Did you see what HE did???"

I think, and appreciate Stroud as being more of a realist and makes a much more concerted effort to exlain the HOW and WHY.

Regardless of his military past, or what you think of his show, yes mentioning that he climbed Everest is a marketing deal. But don't let that fool you to thinking anyone can climb everest, or that its easy. Everest kills about 1 out of 10, and none of them are uncredited climbers. Everest is hard even with a $50,000.00 guide, with sherpa's and porters, and bottled oxygen. Everest is not merely a climbing feat, but like all survivors takes incredible will power to accomplish.

That said, I still prefer Stroud.

Blog Entries

Another honorable mention is the Coast Guard rescue units.

Military.com has a good site that gives you the requ. for the 5 major forces. Many kind of look over the AF, prob. because it's not popularized in the movies.

This is just good discussion, no fighting here.

I enjoy both shows.

I dont even no what everyone is on about but i want in!!! wats happnin???

I'll have to check it out. Coast Guard was given some respect in the Kevin Costner film.
    If we're talking about survival and discovery channel, I guess we should throw in "Deadliest Catch". I'd have to say they have my vote for being tough.

Les takes his time so he dont have to take chanes like Bear does. And i enjoy both shows. Bear takes to many chances

Survivorman is more practical and explains what and why he does things... Man vs Wild you need to decide if it is the correct way or the wrong way. He does put himself in some bad situations.

Les Stroud will be making several shows similar to "Urban Survival". Urban Survival is the first in the series of six or seven shows of that type. Plus he already started filming his second season. Also the "Off The Grid with Les Stroud" will be airing in the United States soon.

If you want to follow what Les Stroud "Survivorman" is doing... check out his blog.
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 06-24-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

Read the book the Perfect Storm, the actual account. They go into the Coast Guards training for their rescue units. Their water training and physical demands are on the same level as the seals.

I came away with alot of respect for the Coast Guard. But then, I have all the respect for all military personnel.

I just watched Perfect Storm as a matter of fact. I noticed that the rescue team attempting to save the Andrea Gale crew were Air Force P.J.'s but that was the movie.

From the movie Navy Seals:
    *just prior to deployment out of an aircraft*
    Hawkins: "For God's sake, be careful out there!"
    Ramos: "If I were going to be careful, I'd have joined the Coast Guard."

I don't suppose Stroud is ever going to release an un-edited version for DVD in terms of not 'sparing us' when it comes to field dressing the animals, and F-bomb bleeps, etc. ?