View Poll Results: Who is the better survivor?

Voters
309. You may not vote on this poll
  • Les Stroud

263 85.11%
  • Bear Grylls

46 14.89%
Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Survivorman/Man vs. Wild.

And he might just have overlooked an explanation for it. I cut both a bit of slack in that regard. Like the time that diesel pusher motor home accidentally got in the photo when Bear was lost in the Canadian Rockies. Just an oversight.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It still knocks me out when y'all are cutting up on TV shows, ya know, not real?.........beats the carp out of soaps.

Come on, these guys figured out how to make a bunch of bucks doing fun stuff, instead of working for a living.

Bet their both making a lot more than I do...basically playing.
    I enjoy both, realize that it's entertainment, pick out anything I can use, laugh at the rest.
    Actually reading all the cut downs is entertaining also, so don't stop on'a'conna me.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Here ya go, now even you can do it!
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/22591619/U...derness-Living

I would not watch either, I find the reality or whatever they're called shows, rediculis.
    Example is not the main thing in influencing others it is the ONLY thing.

Blog Entries

ridiculous
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    ridiculous
    Yea that's what I meant.
    Example is not the main thing in influencing others it is the ONLY thing.

Blog Entries

Cool It's like this...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    It still knocks me out when y'all are cutting up on TV shows, ya know, not real?.........beats the carp out of soaps. Come on, these guys figured out how to make a bunch of bucks doing fun stuff, instead of working for a living.
    (Here I go, can't help myself! )
    So what? Bear's info can get people hurt or killed!
    Bet their both making a lot more than I do...
    So does a "crack dealer," a Hooker, & our esteemed President! So what? The old adage "the end justifies the means" doesn't work for me!

I enjoy both, realize that it's entertainment, pick out anything I can use, laugh at the rest.
    Yes, but you KNOW what's right & what's not! The Newbies that eat this stuff up are going to find themselves in a lot of trouble!

Actually reading all the cut downs is entertaining also, so don't stop on'a'conna me.
    No problem!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Well, Sarge, it's my opinion and I still stand by it.
    I do agree with you and most everyone that it's a bunch of crap, just thought I would present a different point of view.
    Your call.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you brought it up...

Alls I'm saying is that these programs are NOT being shown on a regular network, but one that claims to be educational. Sooner or later we're going to read about some naive young person being rushed to a hospital because they drank their own urine as a result of what they saw "Grylli Vanilli" do! That may not bother you, but it does me.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

America's Funnies Videos is on a major network.
    Sorry, but I can't buy into saving all the stupid ones.
    I was just voicing my opinion, as you are, so I guess we agree to disagree?

Possibly your objections should be directed at the educational channels?

Sarge them there educational networks ain't what they used to be. NatGeo, History, PBS, Discovery, TLC channels are all real good examples of that.

It's not just Bare's show, but all of em.

Everything is hype, blown outta proportion, theory, biased, etc. Not real history or fact but some "BS artist's?" abstract impression of it. It's all designed to get viewers by any means possible and to infuence people's thoughts.

Anyone who relies on those shows as fact is most likely gonna die anyhoo from self inflicted ignorance. I won't blame bare, instead I blame people's idea that TV is reality, or their idea that because someone implies something is fact it must be. Rather than questioning that "authority?" and finding out for ourselves what is fact and what is BS.

Heck, even the books used in school no longer contain facts per se', rather they offer the viewpoint of the author, publisher, etc. on the subject. Books are being written more and more to influence thought rather than to teach the facts and let those facts influence our thoughts.

Everybody wants us to think or act in a way that benefits them or their ideals and will create shows, news stories, and write books that do just that with no consideration for facts, honesty or the safety of the readers and viewers.

Sometimes the gene pool needs thinning. Maybe that is why Bear was given a show.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Man Vs. Wild, while amazingly entertaining...is not as educational as it could be. I think I watch it from time to time, simply to see if he will barf up whatever poop he's decided to chow down on. I also have a game of placing bets on how many times he injures himself while barreling down a mountain or swimming across a fast moving river.
    The man is an accident waiting to happen. The shear irresponsibility of teaching people to be so reckless in the wilderness is baffling.

Survivor man isn't 100% either, but it's significantly more educational. While he's never in REAL danger, he teaches some useful lessons and does so without eating poo. LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trabitha View Post
    I also have a game of placing bets on how many times he injures himself while barreling down a mountain or swimming across a fast moving river.
    The man is an accident waiting to happen. The shear irresponsibility of teaching people to be so reckless in the wilderness is baffling.
    Yeah, I think it is just a matter of time before he does a "Steve Irwin" and then there will finally be some stories about how stupid and irresponsible Bear was..

I think bares show is losing ratings and will not be on the air too much longer.

I just watched his "Urban Survivor" episode. I was laughing out loud at the stupidity he engaged in. One of the funniest parts to me was his location. He said it was an "abandoned urban environment somewhere along the Baltic coast."

Above the building he entered was a sign that said "Gdynia Shipyard" in Polish. This was so funny because I know EXACTLY where that is - I used to live about 5 or so miles away from that very building. His "urban wasteland" is dead center in the middle of the "Tri-city" area of Gdańsk, Gdynia, and Sopot - a decidedly not-abandoned area in one of the most beautiful cities in Poland. He just was in an abandoned building in the warehouse district. He was never more than 200 yards away from civilization.

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
    He was never more than 200 yards away from civilization.
    Figures.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I think Hunter and Sarge are both right, but I'm gonna go with crash, on this one......sometimes, you just need to thin the herd! LOL

(Maybe kids should watch a "reality show".....like Jersey Shore.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Sometimes the gene pool needs thinning. Maybe that is why Bear was given a show.
    Yep...I think Cliff's Buffalo Theory applies. LOL

"Well you see, Norm, it's like this . . . A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.
    In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
    I just watched his "Urban Survivor" episode. I was laughing out loud at the stupidity he engaged in. One of the funniest parts to me was his location. He said it was an "abandoned urban environment somewhere along the Baltic coast."

Above the building he entered was a sign that said "Gdynia Shipyard" in Polish. This was so funny because I know EXACTLY where that is - I used to live about 5 or so miles away from that very building. His "urban wasteland" is dead center in the middle of the "Tri-city" area of Gdańsk, Gdynia, and Sopot - a decidedly not-abandoned area in one of the most beautiful cities in Poland. He just was in an abandoned building in the warehouse district. He was never more than 200 yards away from civilization.
    I just watched it as well.
    I do/as least did, give the guy credit, he comes up with stuff that sells, ........
    at least till someone sees it.
    I still think it would be cool making money, doing something fun.

I even considered sending in a video to the Survivor program, and volunteer to be the first one voted off, so I could lay around in a cool hotel somewhere on their dime for 38 more days.

But I gotta tell ya, that had to be the dumbest thing I ever saw, even worst than The Apocalypse guy one.
    This one reminded me of vandals breaking in to factories.

The factory I used to work at was closed, and looked kinda like the one he was in.
    Had vandals breaking in all the time.
    Couple guys broke into the substation and got fried pretty good, so were suing the company as the fence wasn't good enough to keep them out.
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-04-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: splin'