View Poll Results: Who is the better survivor?

Voters
309. You may not vote on this poll
  • Les Stroud

263 85.11%
  • Bear Grylls

46 14.89%
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Survivorman/Man vs. Wild.

Yep thats the show! I hope he does more of those type shows.

so i guess we all conclude that bear just tries to make it entertaining while les tries to make it real
    sanity is for the weak

I like survivorman 'cause bear just tries to make it entertaining
    sanity is for the weak

Blog Entries

I do enjoy both shows, buttttt............

Survivorman kinda keeps it real. I like the way he uses stuff he would have and he fails. Which realisticly happens in the wild. His fire starting rifle idea, ahhh, I've never seen that work with smokeless powder. Blackpowder is another story.

His airplane crash in the north, where he tried to do it with one arm and realized that ya gonna need two. Keeps it real.

Now Bear, he is a showboater and I do enjoy every minute.

Is he married? cause if he is not, he'll never get a wife as I've seen him; piss on a t shirt and wrap it around his head, eat nasty bugs, eat trout while they are still alive, drink nasty water, eat day old lion kill and the topper, squeeze water from elephant crap and drink it.

I've seen Bear do things that I would not rec., but then again, it's not my show. He ate a snake once, but I noticed that the snake was still. Now, I've killed rattle snakes to eat on lrrps and can tell you, they keep moving for hours after they've had their head cut off, gutted, and skinned.

He also tends to fill his canteen from top water. I've always been told to cover the canteen end, submerge the canteen of course in fast running water then fill from mid level.

Bad water = dissentary and that my friend is nasty.

Eating bugs, hey if that's your thang, go for it. I've always read and was told that insects eaten raw can give you all kinds of problems. Throw them in a pan and heat them for a little bit. Same with eating raw fish, it may be nutrious, but you are injesting the water that it was swimming in. I remember eating lettuce in Mexico, stayed away from the water, but duhhh, the lettuce was washed with the water.

All in all, I've learned some from both shows.

Not to mention that lettuce is mostly made up of water, so the fact that it is washed in it is minor compared to its make up, eitehr way its still not good for you in Mexico. Man v Wild is entertaing but usually not practical, he does do some nasty stuff but that nasty stuff isnt always stupid, but I'd recomend watching surviorman first.

Blog Entries

Another thing that I just thought of was that the gent in man vs wild, in Africa when he came up on the lion killed zebra, said that the vultures like to eat fresh kill and that's how you can tell.

Well, I've always thought and also have watched on the disc. channel, that vultures don't nec. like fresh meat as it is too hard to pull apart. They like it when it gets kind of soft and mushy.

Ahhh, don't matter. I just remembered this as I saw a few what we call turkey vultures eating a dead deer on the way home. Critters been dead for a few days.

ive been dying to see survivorman whats it like

Survivorman ! The other guy will get you killed.

I like both shows but like survivorman better, in my opinion it's more realistic in the stuff he might have to use to survive. and the hunger when he fails to find foodand lack of sleep. He seems more like a common everyday sort of person.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

I like the fact that Les Stroud is out there by himself and has to carry 60 lb of camera equipment with him everywhere. Les and his wife walked into the Canadian north country with nothing but a knife and lived for a year. I think thats pretty serious survival.

Bear Grills has a camera crew with him and he was in the French Foreign Legion and is a Black Belt among other things which doesn't make him an average survivalist. He does things that will get the average man killed. I talked to a guy from the UK who said they watch it as a comedy.

whoa that is brutal , iv lived in northern canada my entire life so i know how harsh it is up there, do you know how far north because i seriously doubt they could have survived in the teritorries for that long , i know i couldnt unless i brought a car full of supplies. black belt doesnt mean much belive me i have a 2nd degree in taekwondo and a 1st in karate. french foreign legion is something though , i went to basic training just for the experience and its rly tough. i pride myself about being able to survive for 3 months in northern canada with only a backpack full of stuff, as long as it isnt the winter months.

SURVIVORMAN!!! he probably went to the most useful locations (the jungle, boreal forest, arctic, the places you would get lost in) and also, he didnt have CAMERAMEN to help him out if he got his leg crushed or something and he didnt have them as company (which almost all survivors dont have). But now, sadly, he does an urban survival show later at night still useful, but still, he would have been better than BEAR GRILLS with his CAMERAMEN!!!!

I like Bear Grills hes good at what he does, also Ray Mears is good but he does mostly things about how tribes live and survive other that real survival

So i like Man vs Wild best

personally, i think they both do stupid stuff, more so Bear, so of the two, Les.
    wait, Les does a urban survival show? whats it called?

Talking Man, THERE is NO contest !!

You can't seriously compare Bear to Les.

Les does things legit, you see EVERYTHING he has and what get gets to use.

Plus, don't kid yourself ....for the average person who does get lost, being alone is a HUGE deal! The 8 primary factors effecting survival are: Pain, Cold, Hunger, Thirst, Boredom, Loneliness, Fatigue, and Fear.

Being alone is hard, being in a group is a doddle. Bear does more extreme and stupid things in his show simply because he is NOT alone and its truly not his *** on the line. If he gets smoked while doing XYZ "stunt" (like down climbing a waterfall) and he bounces he's not going to die.

Cheers'
    Gumby

Les blows away Bear ..... there is no contest!

I definitely like survivorman more. I do like man vs wild because he does those crazy things like eat a raw fish straight from the river. My brother and i got caught up (lost, we were being stupid... not something I would recommend) a small canyon for 2 days, and we caught fish from the stream by hand. (which is illegal except in emergencies where i am at least) We didn't eat them raw though, I also always carry a magnesium match wherever I go.
    but no, not so much of a how to kinda thing. be prepared. GO SCOUTS! TROOP 795!!!

I do think they both have good info, HOWEVER I would try not to pay attention to how bear travels... I couldn't believe he DOWN CLIMBED a waterfall, DOWN CLIMBED *THROUGH* a glacier, and I never saw him swim under the deadfall but seriously... and now a volcano!

wow alot of people like survivorman better lol

You guys are scaring me with the Natchez stories! Out here on the West Coast it's hard to imagine that sort of crime. I spent some tiime in Florida but that was pretty mild. Drivng the rental car through parts of Miami reminded me of some of the 'hoods out here in Oakland and Richmond, CA. Also in Fresno, Stockton and Sacramento there are some areas you wouldn't want to break down at night ... or day for that matter

Man v Wild is entertaining but the camera crew is very present in the show. In the new everglades episode he talks to them quite a bit, so he doesn't even try to hide their presence. In most cases you get the idea that he's not sweating anything but rather having fun and telling the camera how to get out of mud or swim through croc ponds....

This looks like a fun place to lurk and compare stories.

what network is survivorman on?

Steve