View Poll Results: Who is the better survivor?

Voters
309. You may not vote on this poll
  • Les Stroud

263 85.11%
  • Bear Grylls

46 14.89%
Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Survivorman/Man vs. Wild.

Quote Originally Posted by MANABA View Post
    Bear is still a better show by ratings, probably why he gets another season.
    Neither show would have trouble getting another season. The only reason Survivorman is ending, is because Les has decided to retire. His last episode was pretty brutal, suffering from puking and diahrea the whole time. I think it might be the most miserable I've ever seen him.

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    the few episodes I have seen of both shows I cant remember either having more than a knife and sometimes a fire starter of some sort.
    Les tries to base his scenarios on situations that ordinary people might find themselves in by accident, largely unprepared. Because hey, if you were totally prepared, then you probably wouldn't be in a survival situation. He does normally always have his multitool, though. His reasoning being that he always carries it on his belt, and thus would always have it with him. Good example for the rest of us, too.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Okay, I am watching Bear Grylls in Siberia ad he is truly an idiot.

I have never seen anybody so reckless in my life.

But I want to watch the whole episode.

I think Les Stroud is the better one, but I usually enjoy Man vs. Wild more. Bear Grylls is more sensational, a real TV personality.
    For lots of wilderness survival, visit www.surviveinnature.com!

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

Today I watched one of Les' "season 3" episodes where he was in the Sierra Nevada area working with the SAR. He was playing the "lost hiker" & their job was to find him. He had a tent, headlamp, some food, & a 1st aid kit. He used a couple of the items to start his fire. It was near the end of the program when he caught my attention with something that he said. He mentioned that, when in a survival situation, walk with caution; nevre run or move about carelessly. That's when I realized the difference between the two guys: Les is always looking or portraying a situation that has actually happened, or could actually happen. He's teaching on what can save your life.
    Bear, on the other hand, is all about Bear! He runs around recklessly, showing things that can get people seriously hurt if they don't have his training, physique, or a near-by camera crew. I notice that Bear's series premier will start tomorrow night on Discovery. I don't know if I'll watch it or not...I'll at least try.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Yep, that Siberia episode of Man vs. Wild was rediculous. When he took off all his clothes to jump into freezing water, to get out in -20 air temperatures was pure stuntman and not someone trying to ensure their survival.

Les has earned my respect by his conservative approach. I also respect his desire to retire. He's not a young man and he's gone too many weeks alone and without food to be worth it, no matter how much they're paying him. No less the hassle of going back and forth all day to get the shots that are needed to put together an entire episode. Respect due, Les. You da' man!

There is a better more personal reason for Les to retire. I'll let it stand as is but it a good one.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Default survivor man tv show

Despite my screenname being survivor man haha, i have been watching many episodes of SurvivorMan recently. Even tho i love to watch the Tv show,does anyone think that it might me setup. Sometimes it seems like it could be, even tho Les Stroud is always reminding us that he is all alone with nothing else than his multi-tool and his camera equipment. I would love to believe that its as real as he tells us, and I will continue to watch the show either way. But sometimes i cant help to think that more happens behind the cameras then we think. For those of you who watch this show i am not trying to put it down in ANY way because i love SurvivorMan just as much as the next guy....but just wanted opinions from other to see what they think as well.

After the initial set up, he is alone and that is what really kicks the snot out of him for the week, all that trudging back and forth.
    He is really tough, so is Bear for all his fault Grylls is tough also.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,

Well obviously the whole thing is setup, planned and researched. I really haven't noticed if Survivorman is setup, I do believe that Man vs Wild is all staged. He always happens upon a dead carcass or magically catches small game in his snares. I also believe he is very tough and deserves respect for serving his country. But he does things that could kill people. Les and Bear both have a responsibility to be aware that whatever they portray, someone will try to emulate or take as gospel. And in Bear's case I feel he doesn't think about how his actions could affect his viewers. The topic of wilderness survival shouldn't be viewed or portrayed as an action TV series, but more of an educational series. Just my opinion though.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Last year Bear had to admit that he was staged, his UK episodes are preceeded witha disclaimer. I saw the Siberian episode were he comes across an Elk still soft no rigor in it or freezing???
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,

Bear Grylls is staged 100%, says so online on discoverey website last time I checked. As for survivorman. I do not belive their is any staging. However as Les Stroud says, "I am here to film a survival show, not to survive, surviving just comes along with it."

The only thing I see as staged in Survivorman is the lack of how much study and research they show that he does before each filming. I have no doubt that he spends days and sometimes weeks pouring over maps, studying routes, becoming familiar with landmarks, learning from local guides about the local foods, hazards, and tricks. At the end of the season this year there was a bonus episode that lifted the veil on that and I'm sure some people saw that as a disappointment. However, I think it's completely unrealistic for anyone who's actually doing what he did for several seasons out to think they wouldn't do everything in their power to minimize the risks and hazards. Especially with the Northern Rockies episode, there's little doubt that in that heavy timber and steep terrain he could have easily broken an ankle and been in a valley so steep with such heavy tree cover that no sat phone could save him. He'd be an absolute idiot not to have a pre-planned route for an episode like that so he'd have a fighting chance of survival if he didn't check in at the end of the week.

Toward the end of the series I suspect he was probably using the product he endorses, the SPOT, with the tracking feature so his crew could track his progress in case of emergency, but is that really cheating? I think it's just common sense. I think it's common sense enough that I bought one myself last year as another layer of peace of mind.

Blog Entries

I bought one of those SPOT things, too..

BEFORE I found out you have to pay a $100 US yearly subscription..

SurvivorMan is better to watch if you are trying to pick up a few tips to survive, and Bear is just entertainment because if someone really does everything he does they would die two or three times each episode. I like watching Bear but like many have said he seems to find random carcasses and plants that will help him. I have been out a lot and do not find as many full just killed animals, I think they do stage a lot of things on the show to make it more interesting.

Watching Bear right now in his new episode, Belize. He always has to make a dramatic entrance. Lets see what all he does wrong or stupid in this one.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Just a re-post of the info I got from the stations and people involved...

Following allegations in 2006 that the show deceived viewers into believing that he was really stranded in the wild when he was not, Channel 4 temporarily suspended the show for a few weeks. Discovery aired re-edited episodes, removing elements that were considered too planned, with a fresh voice-over and a preceding announcement pointing out that some situations are 'presented to Bear to show the viewer how to survive'. Both Discovery and Channel 4 have continued to broadcast the program.

An adviser to the Man vs. Wild/Born Survivor series had claimed that Grylls had been staying at a California lodge while filming. A crossing of a deep crevasse was shown to be within sight of a road. Bear was shown taming 'wild' horses who had horseshoes on their hooves when the film was examined closely and which turned out to be ex-Ranch horses. Similarly, it was alleged that Grylls had stayed at a crew base-camp in the Costa Rican jungle, while giving viewers the impression that he was alone. Further, there have been several other incidents, including the impression Bear built a raft "in a matter of hours with no tools." According to the adviser, the raft was actually in part built by a show stunt consultant. This particular episode implied was filmed on a small south pacific island, which as Channel 4 revealed was actually a small peninsula in Hawaii, the scene of at least three Hollywood movie shoots. These allegations were confirmed by Channel 4, who argued that it was not a documentary, but a "how-to" guide to survival, implying that re-shot scenes were acceptable in that context.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Ah jeez. Why doesn't somebody lock the two of them in a dark room with a sock full of sh*t each to beat on each other with and the one that manages to come out is the true survivor and that's the end of it once and for all.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Ah jeez. Why doesn't somebody lock the two of them in a dark room with a sock full of sh*t each to beat on each other with and the one that manages to come out is the true survivor and that's the end of it once and for all.
    Mmmm,I guess Les really does win then,cuz Bear would be sitting there eating the sh*t out of his sock
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Hmmm, I find that while Grylls is increasing the Darwin award nominee pool, he does have some interesting techniques. I just saw him the other day put socks over his boots to gain traction on glacier ice. Albeit I wouldn't be *ON* a glaciar without crampons in the first place, it's still a good idea if you find yourself on a slippery slope. So yes, Bear is wacky but he still teaches some good stuff... you just have to filter out the rest of the 90% bilk.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post
    Hmmm, I find that while Grylls is increasing the Darwin award nominee pool, he does have some interesting techniques. I just saw him the other day put socks over his boots to gain traction on glacier ice. Albeit I wouldn't be *ON* a glaciar without crampons in the first place, it's still a good idea if you find yourself on a slippery slope. So yes, Bear is wacky but he still teaches some good stuff... you just have to filter out the rest of the 90% bilk.
    I don't think too many would argue that Bear has some skills. The problem that most (at least me) have is that to the inexperienced viewer that doesn't know to filter out the BS, will go out and cause harm to themselves. Now, this is not necessarily a bad thing in all cases.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel