View Poll Results: Who is the better survivor?

Voters
309. You may not vote on this poll
  • Les Stroud

263 85.11%
  • Bear Grylls

46 14.89%
Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Survivorman/Man vs. Wild.

Blog Entries

Cool Bear vs. Les.

Okay kiddies, time to grow up. I think most of us here realize that it's not about who's the best in a "My survivaldude can beat up your survivaldude" type thing. Discovery Network hypes both guys and we're going to keep on watching both because we all got a "Survival Jones." Let's face it, we're "Survival junkies". we'll watch any "bug eating", "urine drinking", Lone Survialdude that makes it to the Tube and yell for more! That being said, if Bear wants to come back he's going to have to eat some crow, along with a serving of humble pie for desert. His hype was "over the top" to say the least. I just watched the latest, and probably the last, season #2 episode of Survivalman: The "behind the scenes" episode showing the how & the why of what it took to make the show. It brings it down to "keeping it real" and Les Stroud is to be commended. He explains how he had to scout each location, use the indigenous survival experts/consultants in each area, and why. I truly enjoyed this show and believe that when Bear returns, and I believe that he will, he's going to have to do the same thing. This should prove very interesting. My problems with Bear were several. Bad advice like drinking urine straight from the bladder is the 1st that comes to mind. Selling a $700 knife was simply "unbecoming" to say the least. But the reality is this: Never put your favorite actors up on a pedestel, they'll always let you down. Forget the hype and enjoy the shows for what they are. A way to live vicariously through their exploits out in the field when we're stuck on the couch watching the tube.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Xplosive22 View Post
    I like both shows. I'm sure I've said that before but since the topic is still hot a month later...

Man vs Wild is coming back for a second season. I wish I knew when it starts. If you read Bear Grylls' personal web page it has a good bit of information about whats going on. That is where I learned about the new and improved disclaimers.

There is also a sort of blog thing and several people that are personal to him vouch that a lot of what he does isn't garbage. If you have read his book accounting his trip and climb of Everest you may find those peoples' opinions to be credible. I read it, and I believe what they say.

I've seen some of the unusual stuff that is staged on his show or the life vest scene in the river but you have to admit that Bear Grylls is a good-hearted guy. Not all of his advice is bollocks and he does a lot for charity and fundraising.

I also like Survivor Man. No one should take this post as argumentative.
    If you post up supporting this guy, be prepared for argument. His advice is unsound and dangerous and some of it is outright bull****! That Is a Fact. Not all of what he says is unsound and dangerous, but some of his advice is REALLY unsound and dangerous. Do your homework, Man vs. Wild is for " entertainment puposes only" ! Just cause its on TV doesnt mean its true! New and improved disclaimers? To "show " someone how to get through it? By suggesting its a viable option to float "about twelve miles" down a Sierra Neveda river?then hop on out at dusk, make a small stick fire and give the impression of being well rested? let alone how did he avoid hypothermia, not to mention getting the clothing dry?? Jeeze, sorry to rant, the show is fake, check the details....
    Last edited by BillHay; 09-22-2007 at 04:11 AM.

bear has done a supposed how its made episode as well i show it it was rubbish no diffence from the episode unlike les's which are quite differnt

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Personally, I think we've about beat this subject to death. Let it lie already...
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Okay kiddies, time to grow up. I think most of us here realize that it's not about who's the best in a "My survivaldude can beat up your survivaldude" type thing. Discovery Network hypes both guys and we're going to keep on watching both because we all got a "Survival Jones." Let's face it, we're "Survival junkies". we'll watch any "bug eating", "urine drinking", Lone Survialdude that makes it to the Tube and yell for more! That being said, if Bear wants to come back he's going to have to eat some crow, along with a serving of humble pie for desert. His hype was "over the top" to say the least. I just watched the latest, and probably the last, season #2 episode of Survivalman: The "behind the scenes" episode showing the how & the why of what it took to make the show. It brings it down to "keeping it real" and Les Stroud is to be commended. He explains how he had to scout each location, use the indigenous survival experts/consultants in each area, and why. I truly enjoyed this show and believe that when Bear returns, and I believe that he will, he's going to have to do the same thing. This should prove very interesting. My problems with Bear were several. Bad advice like drinking urine straight from the bladder is the 1st that comes to mind. Selling a $700 knife was simply "unbecoming" to say the least. But the reality is this: Never put your favorite actors up on a pedestel, they'll always let you down. Forget the hype and enjoy the shows for what they are. A way to live vicariously through their exploits out in the field when we're stuck on the couch watching the tube.

I totally agree with you on where you say to take the shows as they are...they're just entertainment and just happen to be about survival. But in reality if I was to get lost in the woods, the last thing on my mind would be, ok now what was that thing survivorman said in episode #3?

p.s. just for the record, I too respect Les Stroud's "behind-the-scenes" episode. It shows that he is just a real person doing something he loves to do, unlike Baer Grills who wants to look like superman.

The you tube stuff is pretty impressive, hence the new disclaimers on the show. Bear has been put in check by the more savvy members of his audience. They whip through the disclaimer so quick that you can barely read the part that says in so many words "THE SHOW IS STAGED".

It's Bear and his producers own fault for any loss of respect by trying to pass his show of as real.

Default wow...man vs wild is a joke people

i have to say survivorman is far better as a whole.. man vs. wild is entertaining but its all staged...they have an article about how a couple of the nights he was supposed to be staying in the wild he was actually in a motel...heres the link

http://www.reuters.com/article/telev...39321520070724

even if this wasnt the case les doesnt use a camera crew which not only means the obvious which is he has no one to help him if he gets hurt, it means that he has no one to communicate with and is alone...when surviving in the wild loneliness and boredam lead and to depression and then your really screwed...les may whine all the time but thats because hes actually surviving for a week not acting like hes surviving like bear..

oh and bear is always running around at full speed...if you really were surviving on the bare minimum u wud want to be conserving energy that rite there is enough to make me want to turn man vs. wild off

wow here i am 65 replies later and 2900 views later thanks for posting guys and gals

recorded all the epsodes for them ^^

i still like his show. seems to be more about trying to get to civilization fast (2-3 days) while being chased by Ninjas vs. Survivorman's show of waiting it out for 7 days and being rescued.

Bear takes more risks probably because he's got a crew with full equipment to watch his back. still dangerous though. he would jump into quicksand to show us how to get out of it while Les would walk around it.

just like drinking water from elephant crap. not because he needs to, but just to show that it's doable...and the camera crew's going to give him some antibiotics right after. i guess if you're nearing death due to dehydration (thus not able to walk another 50 feet in the scorching sun), germs & bacteria wouldn't be your biggest worries at that moment.

both shows have their merits. Survivorman is more realistic for the average guy who's not looking to break his neck alone in the wood. but maybe at some point, should rescue never arrive....you may have to climb that 80ft tree to get your bearings like Bear does and find your own way out.

the pre-built raft was a big and only, letdown for me though. i remember Les building a raft in the swamps and it fell apart immediately. but Bear's was almost perfect.

this one in Hawaiian volcanoes was not a big deal to me because having lived in Hawaii, there's not that many places that's not a tourist money making spot.

http://ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/32385

Bear does alot of amazing things and shows how to get out of extreme situations, (falling into a frozen lake in the alps) but how do we know hes not eating ham sandwiches with the crew when the cameras stop rolling. The bottom line is Les does it on his own and thats really surviving!
    Mighty cocky for a starvin pilgrim

I like both, thought Survivorman has been overly deceptive since it's beginning. I figure a survivor show's success lies in if I can actually learn something from it. From Les I realized how to boil water in a plastic bottle, from Bear I learned about a fire bed and rapid descent techniques.

However I have a beef with Man vs. Wild being filmed only a few hundred meters from a highway or tourist resort, etc. You can see all the "Bear is a fake" stuff on YouTube.com

Kind of makes me mad that they couldn't just say "The locations and situations filmed are not always as real as they appear to be" at the beginning of each episode.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

If you want to know the truth about the "born survivor" or Edward Grylls click here http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/bearwiki/Evidence
    sanity is for the weak

The shows are for entertainment. I tell my daughters when we watch the shows... what is the wrong and what is right. I ask them to figure out what they would do... by using common sense. By discussing the show with them they are learning on making their own decisions when it comes a survival situation.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    If you want to know the truth about the "born survivor" or Edward Grylls click here http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/bearwiki/Evidence
    i don't see the big deal. drinking water from elephant poo was never a necessity neither because the camera crew probably had a ton of water with them should he need it.

giving advice on what to do when you encounter a guy in a bear suit is about the same as him jumping into quicksand on purpose. just an illustration on TV on how to handle the situation. Bear's setting of survival is about 2-3 days only. it could be forever before running into a real bear...should he waits for one.....what if the bear attacks? the crew would have shot the poor thing.

Bear teaches many risky techniques that most novices shouldn't attempt, but what if you're stuck in that situation? consider the Korean guy who got stranded in the snow drift of Oregon with his wife and child. after 6 days of staying in their car and surviving....after they exhausted all of their resources, he had to do what he had to do. he trekked out for help and died.

both shows has their merits and i like them both.

Blog Entries

Both shows are getting pretty freak'n old.

But that's just my opinion.

Showing dangerous, risky techniques is never good even for entertainment purposes, novices can't see the difference and will take it as gospel when such ideas are presented; that's what a novice does, seeks out knowledge but they aren't knowledgable enough to sift the gems from the S**t. They may miss the rapidly displayed disclaimer and think all is OK.
    Bear is a dangerous behaviour model and sooner or later someone will get hurt or even die trying to emulate his "panache".
    Les is less so but he should be showing proper techniques rather than proving his toughness (I am really no longer impressed)
    I have come accross some misguided people in the bush, who had just such rotten info, that they were on the verge of collapse because idiots those 2; had to be evaced out of there.
    There some very intelligent people here with lots of sound experience and knowledge, maybe we should listen to them
    Yah what FVR said
    To thyne self be true

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Yeah, what they said!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carcajou garou View Post
    Showing dangerous, risky techniques is never good even for entertainment purposes, novices can't see the difference and will take it as gospel when such ideas are presented; that's what a novice does, seeks out knowledge but they aren't knowledgable enough to sift the gems from the S**t. They may miss the rapidly displayed disclaimer and think all is OK.
    Bear is a dangerous behaviour model and sooner or later someone will get hurt or even die trying to emulate his "panache".
    Les is less so but he should be showing proper techniques rather than proving his toughness (I am really no longer impressed)
    I have come accross some misguided people in the bush, who had just such rotten info, that they were on the verge of collapse because idiots those 2; had to be evaced out of there.
    There some very intelligent people here with lots of sound experience and knowledge, maybe we should listen to them
    Yah what FVR said
    I hope TBWN is tuning in, though it probably won't do any good.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

well people who emulates risky moves on TV ...falls into the backyard WWF wrestler catergory. not much can be done to help them other than a few trips to the emergency room.

i learned how to get out of quicksand from Bear....doesn't mean that i'm going to jump in it for fun nor climb a tree for avocados because i saw it on TV.

I think bear is cool and all, but Les Stroud, Survivor man does it for a better cause, he isnt trying to just show how to survive, but at the same time explain the power and beauty of nature.