View Poll Results: Who is the better survivor?

Voters
309. You may not vote on this poll
  • Les Stroud

263 85.11%
  • Bear Grylls

46 14.89%
Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Survivorman/Man vs. Wild.

LOL YouTube has removed a interview with Bear Grylls video due to terms of use violation.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

i have been waiting for this

Blog Entries

Cool Les is back!

I've been watching a few of Les' back episodes & am reminded why I like it so much. Les demonstrates how to use whatever's around him, be it wildlife for food, Junk people left behind, etc.. A year ago last spring, using what Les had taught, I visited a wooded area nearby and just did a nature walk noting things that would help me survive. Here's what I can remember:

An old car hub cap for a "fire pan".
    An old tire that would make a good smoke signal if set on fire.
    Trees that were down that, coupled with a tarp would make a good shelter.
    A small spring leading to a nearby river that would provide water and had both frogs (for eating) and minnows (for bait to be used in fishing the nearby river.)

It really was a lot of fun.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default Les Stroud

Les Stroud is what essentially got me into learning survival skills and really appreciating the outdoors, a gift from God that many people dont take the time to really stop and appreciate...i mean i've always loved being in the outdoors growing up in the south (fishing, hunting, camping, etc.) but after watching his shows I was literally outside building survival shelters in the acres we owned of previously unused woods...lol...I even brought the show to school one time and our Biology teacher showed it in class...talk about relief (not a big fan of Bio Class)...but anyway les stroud is a true outdoorsman and i am glad he is still going strong. Although i do hope bear brings another season of entertainment and outdoor skills...i cant help it, i like the show..

ray mears is one of the UKs top bushcraft experts and he keeps it real no bull---- hope you get his show in the U.S.A soon.

"numpty" new to me. I like it.

I was excited to see the notice while i watched the boreal forest episode last night that there would be new survivorman episodes on Fridays at 9!

Im new here but after reading these strings about Man vs.Wild I new that this was the right place for me. That show is completely bogus and the things that Bear does will only get someone hurt or sick if they were to try it. The thing that really got me was that on one episode he wouldnt drink the water from a N. American rocky mountain stream without boiling it because of the risk of girdia, and on the next episode i saw him drink urine directly from a fresh elephant turd in the African Savana.

Les Stroud is a true survivalist and his show is legit. Bear Grills is an idiot and his show is a work of fiction.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Vintage Urine!

Quote Originally Posted by Texan View Post
    Im new here but after reading these strings about Man vs.Wild I new that this was the right place for me. That show is completely bogus and the things that Bear does will only get someone hurt or sick if they were to try it. The thing that really got me was that on one episode he wouldnt drink the water from a N. American rocky mountain stream without boiling it because of the risk of girdia, and on the next episode i saw him drink urine directly from a fresh elephant turd in the African Savana.
    Not to mention when he was in Kimberly Australia he urinated into his own canteen and drank it, assuring viewers that it was okay to drink your own urine!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by FISHorDIE View Post
    Heres the deal. . . Man vs Wild pretty much shows you what not to do. survivorman shows you what he would do. every situation is diffrent but the goal is to get found and not get hurt witch i think is displayed more in survivorman. the dude in man vs wild showed us that you should climb a 40 foot tree in the jungle to get a better look around, real smart, that show is a joke. atleast survivorman is believable and solo.if they got in a fight against one another survivor man would beat him senseless and live of his corpse for weeks. someone is going or allready did get hurt taking advice from man vs bloated entertainment industry.. . . . . .oh sorry . . . .wild
    so now it,s not which show is more realistic it,s who would win in a fight.My money is on bear who served with British special forces.

Yeah I must have missed that episode cause after the first couple of times i watched it i realized that Bear was full of it and i havent went out of the way to try and catch anymore of his shows.

Blog Entries

Wink Survivorman vs. Bear Grylls

Why not give them dueling pistols and stand back-to-back, count off ten paces, turn & fire? here's the point guys, it's not a contest, just two guys trying to make a living teaching survival. One's British, one's Canadian, but they're both well paid.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

it,s only television and its all rubbish.
    Last edited by sticks65; 11-16-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool The problems with both Les & Bear.

Here's the problems I have with both survival shows involving Les & Bear. Our two survivors become some kind of "super-heros" to us. Les' show is called "Survivorman", similar to "Superman". It implies that he can survive anything that's thrown at him. Same with Bear G.. (Should be called "Bear vs. Ratings.) Guys, it's just not so! Survival isn't the latest "game-show" or "Extreme sport"; it's life OR death!!!! Niether one of these guys could have survived the hurricanes or Tsunnis that hit a while back if they were in the wrong place. I watch the shows because I want to see certain survival skills and tools actually being used out in the field. I don't particuarly care to see two guys in a lot better shape than I am surviving a situation that they set up in advance. That's just not how it works.

In J. Wayne Fear's book: "The Complete Book Of Outdoor Survival, which, by the way, you can buy from Amazon for about 6 bucks, he tells how not every survival situation is about being lost, but in some cases, can rise up from being stranded. Sometimes it's about making wrong decisions, sometimes being in a desolate place and injured really bad. During his "plane crash scenario" Les tried handicapping himself by limiting himself to using only one arm. He had to give it up! Let's have some real survival shows out there, like the one I recommended awhile back!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Okay, little lost here as my response was to Rasputin.
    Last edited by FVR; 07-29-2007 at 05:53 PM.

damn sarge gotta disagree with you on this one.

i don't care much for bear, he is entertaining but i think he shows just about everything not to do in a scenario.

now lets get to les
    i like the guy, he is not saying he could have survived a tsunami or done a show on urban survival yet ie huricane( although maybe i should e mail that one to him) i think he is showing what the average joe could to in these situations as we all know survival is mostly mental, maybe someone will have seen his show and think that they are capable of doing the same, the only superman stuff that les does is carry all that camera equipment around.

speaking of carrying everything around what does bear do he was sas, did a partial traing with the ffl climbed everest(how much a sherpa pulled him up? who knows) and crossed the artic by himself, now thats impressive, but it doesn,t make me think that i could do any of that unlike les

great thread sarge always lok forward to reading your thoughts but that is what makes life so great is everyones respectful differences

what about the rest of the wolfpack? what are your thoughts?
    Last edited by wareagle69; 07-29-2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: bad spelling

hey sarge did you find out about ray mears yet? he is probably the best show to watch. what ray teaches is bushcraft(oddly enough thats the name of the show) he does have a show called extreme survival but i like buscraft better.
    i do agree with you and gringo abouta more realistic show heck maybe even a reality show if you can't make fire or tools, your out

Blog Entries

Wink Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    damn sarge gotta disagree with you on this one.

i don't care much for bear, he is entertaining but i think he shows just about everything not to do in a scenario.

now lets get to les
    i like the guy, he is not saying he could have survived a tsunami or done a show on urban survival yet ie huricane( although maybe i should e mail that one to him) i think he is showing what the average joe could to in these situations as we all know survival is mostly mental, maybe someone will have seen his show and think that they are capable of doing the same, the only superman stuff that les does is carry all that camera equipment around.

speaking of carrying everything around what does bear do he was sas, did a partial traing with the ffl climbed everest(how much a sherpa pulled him up? who knows) and crossed the artic by himself, now thats impressive, but it doesn,t make me think that i could do any of that unlike les

great thread sarge always lok forward to reading your thoughts but that is what makes life so great is everyones respectful differences

what about the rest of the wolfpack? what are your thoughts?
    Actually, at this point in time Les has both age and physical stamina on me.
    However, it's the way the show is promoted that bothers me. How many here could do the things these guys do just as well? Almost all of you, I'll bet. Yet you don't get a cool logo and your own program, if you catch my drift. All that being said, I'll be right down in front of my TV when Les' new series starts. I guess there's some more stuff going on about Bear when he jumped into the ice hole to demonstrate how to get out, and even Dr. Ron Hood has weighed in on his phony stuff. Man I hope he gets a 3rd season too, though.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Still Lookin'.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    hey sarge did you find out about ray mears yet? he is probably the best show to watch. what ray teaches is bushcraft(oddly enough thats the name of the show) he does have a show called extreme survival but i like buscraft better.
    i do agree with you and gringo abouta more realistic show heck maybe even a reality show if you can't make fire or tools, your out
    Haven't found anything yet, bro, other than occaisional referances to him. Ironically enough, "Bushcraft" is also the title of a Mors Kochanski book on Wilderness Survival.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin