Thread: 1 week survival trek

Default 1 week survival trek

Hello. I am new to this forum. This seems to be a really nice forum and i hope to become a regular.

I am planning a 7 day survival "test" of myself. I plan to take three days supplies and improvise the rest. I have the basics covered (i think)... fire, shelter, ability to get water, etc... but i am just wondering if there are any little things that people who have done this would suggest taking for whatever reason... I plan to take paper and pen to keep a journal of my experience, as well as a couple of plant and tree I.D. books.

Luckily for me, my situation will be somewhat controlled. I live on a lake where one side is houses, and the other side is all primitive, so my wife will be a cell call away in an emergency.

thanks for the help!!

Blog Entries

You are cordially invited to go to "Introductions" and tell us a little about yourself. Then you may feel free to roam the many posts and threads on this forum and glean all the information you can use.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

After you go to the "Introductions" section, and tell us your age, wilderness experience, some background like ex military, and what training you had there if any. Or your exploits as a boy scout, you get the idea. We'll be able to help you better. Please don't forget about our SEARCH BUTTON it will help you a lot too.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

adams420,these guys are NOT being rude nor mean,the questions they ask are serious questions with serious answers given if you will answer them.
    Taking plant/tree i.d. books are a good idea IF you have some knowledge of the flora and fauna in your area to begin with,do not forget that many edible plants have deadly look-a-likes out there,are you 100% sure the one you are looking at is the one in the picture in the book??

Welcome to the forum.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Adams420 - ditto what the others have said. In order to give you valid info, IMO we need to know a bit more. In your bio you (jokingly) list your occupation as lazy bum. Now that sort of thing could lead to a misunderstanding. Do you mean lazy bum in the kind that won't get off the couch to do anything, or are you referring to what many used to call hobo's - who would by the nature of their daily lives have aquired many survival skills already. There really is a lot of helpful info here, and many more that are willing to be helpful. Welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

1st welcome
    2nd nothing wrong with being a lazy bum i always say i'm the hardest working lazy bum i know or was that laziest hardworking bum... well you get the idea, but ya i need to know more about what your back ground is, now are you planning on pracicing primitive skills or just trying to see if you can ride out the week and hypothectically wait for rescue
    i just did a couple of days in the bush myself so ask away youngster
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by adams420 View Post
    Hello. I am new to this forum. This seems to be a really nice forum and i hope to become a regular.

I am planning a 7 day survival "test" of myself. I plan to take three days supplies and improvise the rest. I have the basics covered (i think)... fire, shelter, ability to get water, etc... but i am just wondering if there are any little things that people who have done this would suggest taking for whatever reason... I plan to take paper and pen to keep a journal of my experience, as well as a couple of plant and tree I.D. books.

Luckily for me, my situation will be somewhat controlled. I live on a lake where one side is houses, and the other side is all primitive, so my wife will be a cell call away in an emergency.

thanks for the help!!
    Adams, That's what I would call a camping trip. One more thing plants growing in the ground rarely look like the picture in a book. If your not SURE of the plantlife you plan to consume.................bring plenty tp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1P1K View Post
    I Can Survive 19.76 Years Because Im Trained To Be A Super Ninja And Can Last Forever
    ^^^^
    Must be "Stringer's" twin
    Last edited by klkak; 09-28-2008 at 09:37 PM.

Put down the pipe....
    Are you really a lazy bum...or is it because it's 4:20 more than twice a day in OK. That stuff zaps the motivation right out of some folks.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Not his twin, his ghost.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Blog Entries

I agree with Fletcher. It sounds like a camping trip. If you want to test your skills just across the lake from your house then stick your hands in your pockets right now and walk out the door without taking anything other then what's in your pockets. We'll still be here is a couple of hours when you get back. Other wise pack all your stuff and go camping.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I am doing a "SURVIVAL TREK" this afternoon, it will last 2 hours, and cover about 6 miles, and I will take "NO" food for the two hour hike. I will forage on frozen blueberrys.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I 100% support people being outdoors. My issue is with the word "SURVIVAL" used in a non-survival situation. I like the word SUBSISTENCE EXERCISE or subsistence trek, as what one is doing is practicing subsistence on what they can gather from their enviroment.....
    Last edited by Sourdough; 09-29-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Default Just waiting...

for Sarge to jump into this thread with the meaning of the word survival and numpty talk...

as for my two cents...the best advice I can give you, is not so much anything specific for you to bring, but to be well versed and experienced in the items that you do bring...

You would be better off with a more limited number of items that you can truly utilize than having a multitude of items that you're unfamiliar with or haven't tested hands on yourself...by knowing how to use an item, by having knowledge about mutiple uses for the item, and knowing the limitations on the item is key....for example you don't want to find out how strong the tip of your knife is (or how well it holds an edge, or that you don't know how to sharpen the knife, etc) when you are faced with true "survival".

Heading out into your backyard for a week is a great way to gain experience with your tools and skills...but really, that is more of a training exercise than a true survival situation...and be thankfull for that....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    I am doing a "SURVIVAL TREK" this afternoon, it will last 2 hours, and cover about 6 miles, and I will take "NO" food for the two hour hike. I will forage on frozen blueberry's.
    Eat some berries for me.

Blog Entries

Survival: The act or fact of surviving, esp. under adverse or unusual circumstances.

Survival skills: Are techniques a person may utilize for an indefinite duration in order to survive a dangerous situation. Generally speaking, these techniques are meant to provide the basic necessities for human life: water, food, and shelter AND the needs to think straight, to signal for help, to navigate safely, to avoid unpleasant interactions with animals and plants, and for first aid. Such skills are presented as useful in situations such as storms or earthquakes or in dangerous locations such as desert, mountains, and jungle. Every different situation or location present a different range of dangers.

Bushcraft: A long-term extension of survival skills. A popular term for wilderness skills. Bushcraft is about surviving and thriving in the natural environment, and the acquisition of skills and knowledge to do so. Bushcraft skills include; fire making, tracking, hunting, shelter building, the use of tools such as knives and axes, foraging, hand-carving wood, container construction from natural materials, rope and twine-making, and many others.

Camping: The act of encamping and living in tents in a camp.

Camping is an outdoor recreational activity. The participants, known as campers, get away from urban areas, their home region or civilization and enjoy nature while spending one or more nights, usually at a campsite. Camping may involve the use of a tent, a primitive structure, or no shelter at all.

Camping describes a range of activities. Survivalist campers set off with little more than their boots, whereas recreational vehicle travelers arrive equipped with their own electricity, heat, and patio furniture. Camping is often done in conjunction with activities, such as hiking, hill walking, climbing, canoeing, mountain biking, swimming, and fishing. It may be combined with hiking either as backpacking or as a series of day hikes from a central location.

Survival camping: Survival campers learn the skills needed to survive out-of-doors in any situation. This activity may require skills in obtaining food from the wild, emergency medical treatments, orienteering, and pioneering.

Blog Entries

Cool well.............

Quote Originally Posted by chazlawyer View Post
    for Sarge to jump into this thread with the meaning of the word survival and numpty talk...

as for my two cents...the best advice I can give you, is not so much anything specific for you to bring, but to be well versed and experienced in the items that you do bring...

You would be better off with a more limited number of items that you can truly utilize than having a multitude of items that you're unfamiliar with or haven't tested hands on yourself...by knowing how to use an item, by having knowledge about mutiple uses for the item, and knowing the limitations on the item is key....for example you don't want to find out how strong the tip of your knife is (or how well it holds an edge, or that you don't know how to sharpen the knife, etc) when you are faced with true "survival".

Heading out into your backyard for a week is a great way to gain experience with your tools and skills...but really, that is more of a training exercise than a true survival situation...and be thankfull for that....
    No, Chazz, not a "Numpty", just a rude, inconsiderate Newby. I don't respond to these types without a proper intro.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin