Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is the best way to trap an opossum

Blog Entries

Possum? Did you say Possum?
    Last edited by Ken; 09-18-2009 at 07:23 PM.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Find out where the SOB is getting into your coop and just put a loop share where he comes in, use at least .025 stainless wire to make your sare.
    I know what hunts you.

Sleepy creek # 1 1/2. Bed the trap and dig a small hole on the back side. Funnel the possum over the top using any thing handy. Bait with peanut butter.

I have a" have a heart "trap that I have used for possum and skunks.A 22lr puts them down quickly.

Opening day for spring turkey last year I had a possum try to walk up my leg.Big ole mean possum to boot.I tried to scare him with a stick and it only made him show his teeth and hiss at me.He came at me again and I kicked him with my boot.Possum's move quicker than you think when there mad.The last time he came at me I droped him with a turkey load.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

Rabbits fear my name.....

The most fun way I know of would be to find out where he is coming in, and borrow a .22 from a neighbor. Set up on top of the hen boxes, if they're sturdy enough, or make a blind inside the coop so you can sit while looking over a small wall at where the possum will come in. Shoot him in the head from the side, just to the front of the ear. If you have to, use an egg or two as bait, or scramble them and set them on the ground, they love eggs. If your pellet rifle is powerful enough, you might be able to just use that, but I suggest at least 1000 fps in .177 with domed pellets, or a .22 pellet rifle with pointed or hollow point pellets.

Other than that, make a box trap and bait it with an egg or two, it doesn't matter if they're fresh or not. Make sure it's built well enough to hold the possum, they can flail like nobody's business.

Get Some!

I was going to post the obligatory .22 caliber reference. I guess I should have checked this thread a few days ago. Oh well.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Default Ditto what Hopeak and Norse Native said.

A .22 is easy enough, but if you can't be around to shoot it, try what RobertRogers said on the live trap. Bait it with vanilla wafers, that will keep the neighborhood cats from getting in the trap. It is an experience in tiself to try and get a live, very POed cat out of a live trap!

This is an old thread,the possum is probably playing a harp by now but I have trapped hundreds.A single door hav a heart is the best.Bait it with a can of tuna fish with holes poked in the top.It lasts for months and only gets better.The thing about a trap or snare that kills is,possums carry there babies in a pouch like a kangaroo,and they dont live long without their mom.You can turn em loose later on.Be carefull holding em by the tail,they might bite your nipple off.[Jeff Foxworthy]Chickens are tasty to everything.A better coop with the wire buried down a foot all around helps.I had em comin up missing and the single door wouldnt catch the predator.A double door did the job though,it was a fox.A few nights later another fox.Double door traps appear as tunnels.I used a roticerie[sp] chicken for bait.Chickens are sleeping sound once again.

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    Box traps may be the best type of trap for the opossum. they will go right in a box trap to get food, table scraps work nicely.
    Yes, box traps are very easy. They always go for table scraps on the first try, in my experience.

Hi NatureTalk,how about scrapping your way to the introduction thread and telling us a bit about yourself?
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

That's my girl...I mean...um....err....heck - you know what I meant.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel